Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Big Medicare vote today in Congress

Big Medicare vote today in Congress

http://www.cnn.com/2003/ALLPOLITICS/...are/index.html

It is not perfect but a step in the right direction

Lets hope the democrats do what is right and not make this about politics.

Been reading more and more about this. Looks like more Democrats are going to vote for this. At last count 9 on the Democrats side and it looks like more will be coming over.

Just for the record guess who voted it against it?

Someone who I think is even worse then Bill Clinton, Hillary Clinton herself!

http://www.nypost.com/news/nationalnews/11750.htm

Waiitng for Downhill to defend Hillary Clinton...
    Last edited by Ghosthunter; 11-25-03 at 07:08 AM.

Two things made this bill happen.

1. AARP Support
    2. 22 Democrats joined Senate Republicans last night in shutting down debate on the bill.

Both of those make for a huge victory for the Bush Administration less then a year before the election, especially after news of Bush and his Administration meeting with the AARP for weeks to hammer this out. They took what had been a huge Democratic group in the AARP and got them to favor it.

Ironically it appears votes were more based on geography then they were party lines.

Certified SG Addict
    Originally posted by Roody
    Ironically it appears votes were more based on geography then they were party lines.
    And of course with re-election in mind. Don't wanna piss off Granny McGums and her large voting block.

It's too costly. The bill is 1200 pages long and I just wonder if anybody really knows what all has been thrown into it.

http://www.cato.org/new/11-03/11-18-03r.html
    "Mr President, you have big balls" - Dominica prime minister Eugenia Charles to Ronald Reagan after the invasion of Grenada, 1983

"We win and they lose. What do you think of that?" - Ronald Reagan, 1977

Originally posted by poptom
    It's too costly. The bill is 1200 pages long and I just wonder if anybody really knows what all has been thrown into it.

barely affordable now and what happens 20 years from now??

when people dont have to pay, they dont give such things second thoughts. People who now take 3-6 meds a day will be taking how many 5 years from now?
    Strap It On Whenever It Seems Appropriate

http://www.tomsclan.com

too costly for who? the govt or seniors?

Cause right now seniors are gettng something they dont even have that is a drug presciption plan

Certified SG Addict
    Originally posted by zooner

barely affordable now and what happens 20 years from now??

when people dont have to pay, they dont give such things second thoughts. People who now take 3-6 meds a day will be taking how many 5 years from now?
    Exactly.

Certified SG Addict
    Originally posted by Ghosthunter

Cause right now seniors are gettng something they dont even have that is a drug presciption plan
    Too costly for US. The TAXPAYERS.

Guess what?

I'm a 28 year old single male. I'm not getting a prescription drug plan...now I want one, too.

If I gather up enough people to get on board and raise enough hell about it, I'll bilk even more billions out of the American taxpaying population.

Besides...this isn't compassion for seniors. It's political posturing, period. By BOTH sides.

Everyone. The Government gets its money from us all.

Not all of us are asking for it. We can always buy private coverage.
    "Mr President, you have big balls" - Dominica prime minister Eugenia Charles to Ronald Reagan after the invasion of Grenada, 1983

Not all of us are asking for it. We can always buy private coverage.

LOL this is funny first democrats claim that we dont spend enough on medicare, now democrats are saying we are spending too much

What happened to the liberal side of caring for the seniors?

Beside most seniors cannot afford to buy private coverage cause if they could this would not be an issue in the first place.

Originally posted by Burke
    Too costly for US. The TAXPAYERS.

Guess what?

I'm a 28 year old single male. I'm not getting a prescription drug plan...now I want one, too.

If I gather up enough people to get on board and raise enough hell about it, I'll bilk even more billions out of the American taxpaying population.

Besides...this isn't compassion for seniors. It's political posturing, period. By BOTH sides.
    Dont you work? I have prescirption drug plan from my company and a very good one

most seniors dont work for a company anymore to get insurance to begin with

Taken from the article

In 2006, Medicare beneficiaries will be able to sign up for prescription-drug coverage either from the government or from private insurers for $35 a month.

Yearly benefits will vary, according to their cost and seniors' income.

But in general, seniors will pay for the first $275 of their prescriptions; after that, Medicare or insurers will pay 75 percent of drug costs, up to $2,200.

If a senior's out-of-pocket drug spending reaches $3,600, catastrophic coverage would kick in, covering 95 percent of costs. A small co-payment might be needed.

AARP calls the legislation "far from perfect," but says it will also "provide much-needed relief to millions of people, especially those most in need."

Right now seniors have nothing of the above?

So how is that bad for seniors?

Btw found this page explains it better from AARP:

http://www.aarp.org/prescriptiondrug...-howhelps.html

How the Medicare Drug Bill Helps Beneficiaries

Congress has finally passed legislation to add a long overdue drug benefit to Medicare.

The legislation is far from perfect, but it will clearly provide much-needed relief to millions of people, especially those most in need.

Establishing A Foundation: Congress is establishing a Medicare drug benefit and allocating $400 billion over ten years to help pay for the coverage. The benefit leaves substantial gaps in coverage for many people, but is an important foundation upon which further improvements can be made.

Modest Help With Drug Costs: Beginning in 2006, Medicare will pay for 75% of prescription drug costs for most people who choose to enroll, after a $250 annual deductible, up to $2,250.
    Voluntary: This new Medicare benefit is voluntary - no one will be forced to enroll.

Solid Low-Income Assistance: People with low incomes get comprehensive drug coverage -

For beneficiaries up to 100% of poverty: no premiums, deductibles or gaps in coverage, and copays of $1 for generics and $3 for brand name prescription drugs.

For beneficiaries between 100% and 135% of poverty: no premiums, deductibles or gaps in coverage, and copays of $2 for generics and $5 for brand name drugs.

For beneficiaries between 135% and 150% of poverty: no premiums or gaps in coverage, a $50 deductible and a 15% copay on each prescription.

Protection for People with the Highest Drug Costs: Once a beneficiary spends $3,600 of their own money on drugs ($5,100 in total prescription drug spending) Medicare will pay 95% of the rest of their drug costs.

Generous Employer Subsidies to Maintain Current Coverage: The legislation provides $88 billion in subsidies for employers (both public and private) to retain existing retiree drug coverage.

Traditional Medicare Protected: Earlier proposals that threatened traditional Medicare by forcing it to compete on an un-level playing field with private insurers were dropped. Instead, there is only a time-limited test project restricted to six urban areas with strict criteria and beneficiary protections.

All Beneficiaries Have Access to Drug Coverage: The legislation ensures that Medicare beneficiaries in all areas of the country can get drug coverage. The Secretary of Health and Human Services will arrange to deliver benefits if at least two private options for Medicare drug coverage are not offered in any given region.

Safety Protections: The legislation provides safety mechanisms to prevent drug errors including electronic prescribing of medication.

Discount Card: Beginning in spring 2004 Medicare beneficiaries can get a discount card that offers some help with soaring drug prices and includes a $600 subsidy for those with low-incomes.
    New Medicare Benefits: The legislation provides a new chronic care benefit in all Medicare coverage options and new preventive services including a one-time physical examination, cholesterol and lipid screening, and improved diabetes lab screening.
    Last edited by Ghosthunter; 11-25-03 at 10:29 AM.

LOL this is funny first democrats claim that we dont spend enough on medicare, now democrats are saying we are spending too much
    I don't see this as Democrats vs Republicans. I see it as politicians trolling for votes.

I don't see this as Democrats vs Republicans. I see it as politicians trolling for votes.
    no it is democratcs vs republicans

simple they dont want to do this not becuae they really care, cause they want to keep the issue on the table for the 2004 election agianst BUsh

Becuase democrats are always saying Republicans dont care about the old folk, and trying to always hurt them worst.

That is how most democrats get seniors to vote for them even though it is not true.

So here we have republicans doing something good, and people are complaining.

Like I said it is not the best plan, but it is better then what they have now...

ramifications be damned.

old people are selfish and dont give a damn about the future.

why should they?
    Strap It On Whenever It Seems Appropriate

http://www.tomsclan.com

Originally posted by zooner
    ramifications be damned.

old people are selfish and dont give a damn about the future.

why should they?
    Because we have children and grandchildren.

Certified SG Addict
    Dont you work? I have prescirption drug plan from my company and a very good one

most seniors dont work for a company anymore to get insurance to begin with
    You're missing the point.

Just because you're old doesn't mean you're entitled to ****. Ageism is universally decried...unless it's for something like this.

I don't get anything in terms of benefits from my company. At all. Ours is too small of a business to justify the costs. Everything I have is paid for BY ME. And in the end, that's all the better, because I control it. I'd rather have the money in hand than be beholden to whatever plan my employer has me on. But that delves more into the medical coverage crap and not drugs specifically.

But like Poptom said...not all seniors want this plan. Most of them are already covered through Medicare or their own private plans. It's a VERY SMALL minority of Medicare recipients who are pushing for this. And since we claim a high degree of compassionate morality as a society, lawmakers are more than willing to bend the taxpayer over and give it to them, sans lube.

If people want to go around whining about what they don't have, fine. But if you come to ME (and that's what this minority of seniors are doing via a legislative path) and DEMAND that we pour even more money into a system whose recipients receiving benefits are far outpacing the amount of money coming being taken in, THAT is my problem with the entire thing.