Thread: Network adapter capping connection?

Question Network adapter capping connection?

Ok, I seem to be stuck at 582K connection speed even though my wife has a 2032K connection speed. First though I'll give my system specs and problem related info.

Gigabyte GA7VAX,
    VT8377 Apollo KT400 chipset,
    400 WATT power,
    Windows XP,
    60gig 7200rpm Maxtor,
    40gig 7200rpm WD,
    AMD Athlon 1800+ XP ~1540MHz,
    512MB DDR (256+256),
    GeForce4 MX 440 64MB,
    VIA AC'97
    Realtek RTL8139 Family PCI Fast Ethernet ,
    Motorola SB4101 Modem,
    Network Everywhere Router NR041
    2MBps cable Internet connection ISP = Charter (2MB down/128K up),

I have AdAware 6 and Spybot S&D 1.2. I update and run them both two or three times a week. I also have SpywareBlaster.
    I delete my cookies and temporary internet files and history files every day.
    I do a disk clean up about once every two weeks, and defrag about once a month or after doing a lot of downloading and or installing.

I used the TCP Analyzer here is the info:

TCP properties for IP = xx.xxx.xxx.xxx ()
    Browser/OS = Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1)
    Notes: Read the Analyzer FAQ if the above is not your IP address.

TCP options string = 020405b401010402
    MTU = 1500
    MTU is fully optimized for broadband.
    MSS = 1460
    Maximum useful data in each packet = 1460, which equals MSS.

Default Receive Window (RWIN) = 64240
    RWIN Scaling (RFC1323) = 0 bits
    Unscaled Receive Window = 64240

RWIN is a multiple of MSS
    Other values for RWIN that might work well with your current MTU/MSS:
    513920 (MSS x 44 * scale factor of 8)
    256960 (MSS x 44 * scale factor of 4)
    128480 (MSS x 44 * scale factor of 2)
    bandwidth * delay product:

Your RcvWindow limits you to: 2569.6 kbps (321.2 KBytes/s) @ 200ms
    Your RcvWindow limits you to: 1027.84 kbps (128.48 KBytes/s) @ 500ms
    MTU Discovery (RFC1191) = OFF
    Time to live left = 116 hops

TTL value is ok.
    Timestamps (RFC1323) = OFF
    Selective Acknowledgements (RFC2018) = ON
    IP type of service field (RFC1349) = 00000000

I used the TCP Optimizer as well and it did seem to make web pages load faster but no matter what RWIN I used (128480, 256960, or 513920) I had a problem with pictures not displaying on web sites.
    Also the Otimizer didn't help my connection speed problem. Even after useing the Optimizer I was still stuck at 582K.
    So I set everything back o the Windows defaults. Pages load slower again but it displays all of the pictures on the web sites.

Ok, I got a router. Network Everywhere NR041 by Linksys. I hooked my wifes and my computer up to the router and then tested her connection several times and at several different testing sites and she is running at between 2021k to 2036K.
    Then I tested my connection speed at the same sites and got 582K at every site.
    I could understand if she was getting 1000k and I was getting 1000k. That would mean the router is splitting our 2000K bandwidth evenly.
    The problem is I unhooked the router and connected the cable modem directly to my computer and tested againg, and still got 582K! Then I hooked the cable modem straight to her computer and tested hers and got 2032K!

What the heck?

I used to get the same connection speed she is getting now when it was just my computer hooked up to the cable modem so something has changed or is broken.

Please help. Thanks!
    Last edited by magnius; 11-21-03 at 09:47 PM.

How many threads are you gonna make about this, I replied to the other one already.

EDIT: Oh this si better, someone should be able to help you with this thread alot easier.

Do you have cablenut? You can get it here:

http://www.student.ipfw.edu/~gottjl01/

Try the fast cable tweak to start. These guys on here can help you cuztomize the values to get even more out of it.

Yea, I was in the middle of typing and it just posted all of the sudden. I must have hit the enter key by mistake of somethig. I tried to delete the first post but I got an error message saying that I don't have permission to delete the post. So I edited it to reflect that it was a mistake and to ignore that post. Oh, well.

Anyway, I actually got CableNut a few months back but never used it because I was getting excelent connection speed.

Well I used it. I used the fast cable tweak and now web pages load very slow. I tested my speed a few more times and I am still only getting 582K.

I just don't get it.
    Are there some settings I can correct on my network adapter?
    Is it possible when I installed the router it changed or adjusted something in my computer or network adapter to suit it's needs?

Oh, by the way thanks for the quick reply, on both threads. Even though I goofed the first one.

Pages load slower? Then I would recomend trying the normal cable CCS settings and if that doesn't work then try the TCP/IP Optimizer here on SG.

Someone who frequents these cable forums should have replied by now, I'm don't really keep to up-to-date on this stuff. LOL

Hi magnius , use the following settings in CableNut:

DefaultReceiveWindow = 256000
    DefaultSendWindow = 16384
    DisableAddressSharing = 1
    InitialLargeBufferCount = 200
    InitialMediumBufferCount = 480
    InitialSmallBufferCount = 640
    LargeBufferSize = 819200
    MaxFastTransmit = 64000
    MediumBufferSize = 150400
    PriorityBoost = 0
    SmallBufferSize = 12800
    TransmitWorker = 32
    FastSendDatagramThreshold = 4096
    EnableFastRouteLookup = 1
    EnablePMTUDiscovery = 1
    IgnorePushBitsOnReceive = 0
    GlobalMaxTcpWindowSize = 49640
    MaxFreeTcbs = 8000
    MaxHashTableSize = 16384
    MaxNormLookupMemory = 5000000
    SackOpts = 1
    SynAttackProtect = 1
    Tcp1323Opts = 0
    TcpLogLevel = 1
    TcpMaxDupAcks = 3
    TcpMaxHalfOpen = 100
    TcpMaxHalfRetried = 80
    TcpRecvSegmentSize = 1460
    TcpSendSegmentSize = 1460
    TcpTimedWaitDelay = 30
    TcpUseRFC1122UrgentPointer = 0
    TcpWindowSize = 49640
    MaxConnectionsPer1_0Server = 20
    MaxConnectionsPerServer = 10
    DefaultTTL = 64
    DisableUserTOSSetting = 0
    TcpMaxDataRetransmissions = 6
    DefaultTOSValue = 240

VERY IMPORTANT TO DO THE FOLLOWING

1. Under your LAN connection - properties - general tab, uninstall all the protocols there that you do not need.

2. Open IE and select tools - internet options - connections - LAN settings, make sure NOTHING there is checked.

3. ALWAYS connect your modem via ethernet (NIC) and make sure you have the latest drivers for your NIC from the manufacturer. Set your NIC duplex mode to 10mb half duplex for Cable, for DSL it is ISP dependent unless you are using a router, if so then set it to 100mb full duplex for both Cable & DSL (the instructions are in my Help & Tips link). If you are using a router make sure you have the latest firmware.

4. Clear your temporary internet files.

5. Power cycle your modem, unplug it for atleast 15 seconds.

6. Download and update then do a scan with SpyBot 1.2 & Ad Aware 6.0 to remove any spyware then install and update SpywareBlaster to stay spyware FREE. YOU MUST USE BOTH AD AWARE & SPYBOT TO ENSURE YOU ARE SPYWARE FREE SINCE ONE FINDS WHAT THE OTHER MISSES.

7. Make sure you do the faster web page tweak in my Help & Tips link.

8. If you have Zone Alarm as a firewall uninstall it then visit Zonelabs.com for further instructions on removing it's left over junk.

9. Install Outpost Firewall or Sygate Firewall, both have FREE and Pro versions and are heads above ZA.

10. Scan for viruses with your antivirus app, if you do not have one get one IMMEDIATELY, AVG 6.0 is an excellent FREE AV app.

11. Make sure you have ALL of the latest Windows Updates.

I tried the Optimizer a few times and it did cause pages to load faster but it didn't help my connection speed test results. I was still only getting 582K. Also after I used the Optimizer, pictures on web pages would not display. I even tried useing different RWIN settings, (64240, 128480, 256960, or 513920) and it would still not display most of the pictures on web sites. So I just returned it to the Windows original settings.

I still belive there is something wrong with my network adapter settings or the adapter it's self.

Hey, mnosteele52. You must have posted the above while I was replying to YARDofSTUF's last post. I will try your suggestions now and get back with the results asap.

Thanks.

Use the settings I posted above. The problem with the red x's where graphics should be is a known documented problem with Internet Explorer and there is no known fix.

I would suggest using Mozilla for a web browser instead of IE. it's FREE, faster, more secure and doesn't have this problem. It also has a pop up blocker built into it.

Ok, I tried those settings and made the changes, and again there was a small increase in how fast web pages loaded, but this time no pictures displayed at all. Even the little icons at the left of the topics list here in theis forum were missing. Like I said though if I reset to windows default settings the pictures will display.

I tested my speed at a few different sites and I am still stuck at 582K.

I even tried disconnected from the router and connected the modem straight to my computer again and still tested at 582K.

I would think that the test results would fluctuate some. But it is always 582K. No more no less.

I tried a download and had a transfer rate that started out at around 110k, and leveled off at 73k. Before I had this problem I would start off at around 450k and level off at about 235k.

Before this problem started I always speed tested at around 2025K or so, and downloaded at about 235k, and all web pages would load in the blink of an eye with all the pictures displayed.

Well anyway, there are the results. I hope it helps you to get a picture of what is goin on.

Thanks again!

Here is an update.

I went back and re-downloaded the newest drivers for my Realtek RTL8139 adapter and then tried a few speed tests and now I am getting 618K every time. A small increase over the 582K, but it may show that something in there can be changed to bring me back to my former 2025K.

Just thought this new info might help clue you in to what might be the problem.

Thanks.

What is your NIC duplex mode set to?

Auto Negotiation

Set it 100mb full duplex and see if that helps. Also try replacing your ethernet cable.

Ok, I set the duplex mode to 100MB full, and I had a brand new ethernet cable that I bought last week when I got the router. So now I have a new etehernet cable connecting me to the router.

Also just in case it helps, under LAN connection/properties/general tab I have the following:

Client for Microsoft Networks
    File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks
    QoS Packet Schedular
    Internet Protocol(TCP/IP)

I know your post said to remove any unnesccsary items in that list, but I am not sure which ones I need. I do share my printers and I know I need the Internet Protocol (TCP/IP), and I belive the Client for Microsoft Networks is what makes the LAN between my wifes and my computers work. All of the items in that list are currently checked.

I was checking around and I noticed under internet options/connections/LAN setting I still had one item checked. It was "Automaticly Detect Settings". I was sure I had unchecked it earlier but maybe not. Anyway there are now no items checked in that area.

Ok, I tested my speed again since these new changes but still nothing new. Actually it is back to giveing me the 582K results again. But now it is fluctuating a little. The tests ranged from 580K to 584.

Should I try the TCP/IP Optimizer or the Cablenut settings you gave me again now that I have the duplex set and a new cable?

Or do you have something else you want me to try?
    Last edited by magnius; 11-22-03 at 09:36 PM.

OK use the CableNut settings I gave you above, it's not the settings causing the problem so we will search elsewhere. It appears to be limited to your pc since no matter what you do it's only yours that is slow. As for the protocols you should uninstall the QoS Packet Schedular, it's useless. Do you have another ethernet card to try just to eliminate it? Did your speed improve after you unchecked "auto detect settings"?

Did this all of a sudden start happening or was there any new software or hardware that you installed and then it started? In other words, has your connection been working at proper speed until recently?

Ok, first sadly no I don't have another ethernet card to install. My current ethernet card is built into the mother board. If needed I will buy one. I don't think they are very expensive anyway.

Now, here is a good one. I haven't noticed if it is happening when I restart my system or what, but that "Automaticly Detect Settings" keeps getting rechecked! I knew I had unchecked it the first time I read your post. Any idea how that is happening? I updated SpywareBlaster, and updated and ran AdAware, and SpyBot S&D, and they found nothing. Then I updated and ran my anti-virus, and I came up clean. So it isn't a virus rechecking that Automaticly Detect Settings box.

And yes my connection has been working at proper speed until recently. That is what I have been wondering. Is there something that might have been changed or broken when I installed the router?

Before this problem started I always speed tested at around 2025K or so, and downloaded at about 235k, and all web pages would load in the blink of an eye with all the pictures displayed. It was super fast and never gave me blank boxes with the red X.

When I first installed the router my computer was getting about 2030K and her's was getting about 640K connection speed.
    Then we rearranged our bedroom, and I had to disconnect my system. When I reconnected it she had all the speed and I had verry little.
    So I thought it might be the router. I thought maybe it was seeing the first computer hooked up to it as the primary and was allocating most of the bandwidth to the primary.
    This made sense because when I first hooked up the router I let it configure on my system first. So it saw my computer as the primary and allocated most of the bandwidth to me.
    Then when we rearranged the bedroom hers was never dissconnected because hers is in the living room. So when I hooked back up to the router it saw her computer as the first to be hooked up. So it made her's the primary and allocated most of the bandwidth to her.

I then realized that if it was allocating bandwidth on a 2000K connection and I was getting 580K then she should only be getting 1420K. But she was getting 2025K and I was getting 582K.

So I thought I would disconnect the router and hook the cable modem straight to my computer. Then I speed tested at several different sites and was still only getting 582K!

So I started thinking maybe it wasn't the router. But if its not the router then why did she have a problem at first and I was ok, and now I have a problem and she is ok?

Boy that was alot to tell! lol

Anyway I hope this clears things up. So now what? I would go ahead and retry those setting you posted for Cablenut, but I want to see what you think about what might be causeing my "Automaticly Detect Settings" box the keep getting rechecked before I try anything else.

Thanks again!

Ok, I tried the Cablenut settings anyway. And they didn't help my connection speed. But it started the not displaying pictures on web sites again.

So I reset it all to windows default settings again.

This time though the "Automaticly Detect Settings" box was still unckecked when I started up this morning. So that is good.

By the way I ran a few upload tests and the results are right for my connection.
    I got results of 104K to 106K and my upload cap is 128K so that is pretty close.
    I then tested my wifes upload and hers was also 104K to 106K. So either my upload isn't reaching this strange cap I have or my upload is uneffected by the problem.

Ok, what next?