Thread: Opinions/Input for video card used in Video creating workstation

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England

Opinions/Input for video card used in Video creating workstation

Upgrading a clients workstation. She's huge into making videos, physicaly therapy training videos, and her own home business...IE weddings, any functions. She's a power Pinnacle Studio Pro user...really hardcore into it. Uses camera with firewire that is being captured via a PCI card that came with the Pinnacle box.

Currently a mess of cables/converters on her existing system, leading to a VCR and TV, sound out/in, etc. She currently has an older ATI, something like a Radeon 7000 VIVO, and I think a SB Live soundcard.

Whats the hot video editing cards of today? I don't really see VIVO much anymore on their cards, just the AIW.

My goal for building her new system will be P4C, Asus P4P800 Deluxe (deluxe since it has firewire), Antec Sonata, gig of RAM, pair of SATA drives, she wants a DVD burner. Just curious on the video card...thinking some newer ATI line that will fully support her video editing.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

I would think the 9800 AIW or 9600 AIW would do well. Or are you looking for something outside of the AIW cards?

crunching video is really more of a CPU thing rather than an GPU thing, however I wouldn't go adn use a Ti4200. probably a 9000 or 9600 would be fine for editing and encoding/decoding. just make sure theres lots of RAM and a nice strong CPU (preferably 2 or at leat a HT CPU)

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Abbey
    A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government.

skip that whole idea.

you want professional quality?

get a canopus advc100. you'll be able to multitask like a madman because it's hardware encoding at it's most affordable and dependable.

avoid the advc1394 because it has SERIOUS issues with winxp pro sp1.
    Strap It On Whenever It Seems Appropriate

http://www.tomsclan.com

Originally posted by zooner
    skip that whole idea.

you want professional quality?

get a canopus advc100. you'll be able to multitask like a madman because it's hardware encoding at it's most affordable and dependable.

avoid the advc1394 because it has SERIOUS issues with winxp pro sp1.
    i can't speak for that one, haven't even heard it before

but if you were interested in the AIW the 9800Pro AIW is the way to go, increadible amount of features and inputs/outputs for everything
    "Would you mind not standing on my chest, my hats on fire." - The Doctor

Originally posted by Brent
    i can't speak for that one, haven't even heard it before

but if you were interested in the AIW the 9800Pro AIW is the way to go, increadible amount of features and inputs/outputs for everything
    I've owned a 9800aiw and am currently using a 9600aiw. I've also used a dazzle hollywoodDV, canopus advc1394, 6 differant miniDV camcorders, ti4200 vivo, and I'm sure some others i've forgotten.

The canopus advc1394 gave me the second best quality I've ever seen. It's a pci card with firewire ports, VI ports and onboard encoding to a specialized avi codec. The quality was BARELY beneath what I've achieved using a miniDV camcorder. I know because I encoded two 15 minute segments using both the advc1394 and a miniDV, then put them on the same DVD. There was a SUPER TINY improvement on the miniDV.

The advc1394 is rather affordable too. However, it does have issues with winxp SP1. I was given a fix for it, but issues still arouse with it be recongized.

The advc100 is an external box with the same technology that the advc1394 uses. However, these issues do not appear in the advc100. It can be fully utilized using pinnacle software as well. Capturing using the advc100 and then using tmpgenc to encode to mpeg2 files will give you amazing results, that can then be authored to DVD. I firmly believe there is actually an improvement in quality in the final product DVD from the VHS using this method. It isnt a huge improvement, but that is rather incredible.

I do agree that the 9600aiw/9800aiw does produce great results. However, in the long run the canopus solution will be more affordable because it can be transfered easily between computers.

If you have any more questions, I've spent hundreds of hours researching this topic and can be of futher assistance.

tom

Originally posted by YARDofSTUF
    I would think the 9800 AIW or 9600 AIW would do well. Or are you looking for something outside of the AIW cards?
    Not sure. Just looking for opinions from others out there who do this stuff on a higher level.

I know it's not a GPU thing, it's the connections, inputs, outputs, and other "stuff" like that which certain cards have...just want to get opinions from those who really get into this seriously.

She currently has done physical therapy and rehab videos, does videos of weddings for peeps, many other things. Turns out some quite professional grade material. Makes them on tape, cd, getting into burning DVD, etc.
    Guinness for Strength!!!

SG Enthusiast
    I think the AIWs would be fine.

I'd focus on disk and cpu - 1G RAM is plenty. The rest is connections and software.

Once you get into the class of machine you're talking less about capability and more about how long it'll take.
    anything is possible - nothing is free

Quote Originally Posted by Blisster
    It *would* be brokeback bay if I in fact went and hung out with Skye and co (did I mention he is teh hotness?)

Originally posted by cyberskye
    I think the AIWs would be fine.

I'd focus on disk and cpu - 1G RAM is plenty. The rest is connections and software.

Once you get into the class of machine you're talking less about capability and more about how long it'll take.
    that's the advantage of using the advc100. 512megs is PLENTY if you're using an external device. I'm running 512megs and i can capture from two devices at the same time AND encode video's, with no loss of performance. Heck, I can capture from both my miniDV and my 9600aiw STRIAGHT to mpeg, with NO DROPPED FRAMES.

Once you clear into the P4 C series, speed really isnt all that important. The encoding time between a p4 2.53 533mhz and a p4 2.4c is nice, plus the 2.4 can handle a lot more at the same time; something the 2.53 couldnt do. If I overclock the 2.4 to 3.1, the difference isnt as much as you'd think.

The real importance is to have differant HD's for differant tasks.

I simply can not stress enough though how much better the canopus advc100 is.

may also want to check out Matrox's high-end stuff (RT.X10 and RT.X100). crazy good features, but pretty f'in expensive.

http://www.matrox.com/video/home.cfm .

*edit* just checked out newegg.... the RT.X10 is at $500, the RT.X100 is $1400. don't know if 5 bills is above her budget... may be worth looking into if not.
    Last edited by Faust; 11-22-03 at 08:02 PM.
    "Today is a black day in the history of mankind."

- Leo Szilard

disabled account
    If she is a Pinnacle fan, the Liquid Pro is a dream. I had used Miro and Pinnacle boards with great success.
    My 8500AiW has never given me any problems. It captures well, but I no longer really use it that much since I have gone all digital.....

<sigh> wish I could justify the Liquid Pro for myself.

shant,
    david
    I want to learn more and more to see as beautiful what is necessary in things; then I shall be one of those who make things beautiful. Amor fati: let that be my love henceforth! I do not want to wage war against what is ugly. I do not want to accuse; I do not even want to accuse those who accuse. Looking away shall be my only negation. And all in all and on the whole: some day I wish to be only a Yes-sayer.

Well....ordered the stuff for her machine today. Zooner...I take it that Canopus is an external box? She can add at any time? How does it interface with your rig?

Machine I built nearly 3 years ago will turn into a secondary rig I'm stuffing with hard drives for network storage. It's an Antec sx1030 SOHO case, Asus CUSL-2, PIII 1.0, 512 megs Crucial, ATI AIW VIVO (7000 I think), pair of WD SE 60 meg drives, Viewsonic 19" Gsomething model.

New rig I'm building...
    Antec Sonata w/Antec 380tp
    Asus P4P800 Deluxe
    Intel 2.6C
    Pair of 512 Crucial PC3200 sticks for 1 gig RAM
    Pair of WD 250 gig SATA drives, 8 meg cache...for 500 gigs total
    ATI 9600pro All In Wonder
    Viewsonic VX900 19" LCD
    Mitsumi black floppy
    Mitsumi black 54x cd
    Sony CRU 510A DVDRW 4X DVD+R, 4X DVD+RW, 4X DVD-R, 2X DVD-RW, 24X/16X/32X CD-RW (didn't come in black...grrrrr)
    Logitech Elite black KB/Mouse

Some other ATA-100 WD SE drives to put in 2 other computers she has..basically make them NAS boxes on her home network (5x rigs on her home LAN, wireless sound system, scanners, color laser printer, VPN to office setup, etc) She's one power user, very advanced Excel and Access programmer (a touch of VFox pro), makes movies,
    Guinness for Strength!!!

canopus is a external device connected via firewire.

they also make a internal device, but the advc1394 does have issues with winxp sp1. They issued a patch to fix those issues, but I would strongly suggest the advc100 external device because those issues are not present.

DO NOT buy a usb2 device for capturing. It has been my extended experience that none of them are any good, all have too many flaws.

Canopus is the kind! I have a buddy what's got one. He rants and raves about it. Check out here it has some great reviews, nice info site too.
    "You can get much further with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone. - Al Capone."

disabled account
    YOSC....

The Plextor 708 does come in black and can utilize a greater variety of disks (brands).
    I want to learn more and more to see as beautiful what is necessary in things; then I shall be one of those who make things beautiful. Amor fati: let that be my love henceforth! I do not want to wage war against what is ugly. I do not want to accuse; I do not even want to accuse those who accuse. Looking away shall be my only negation. And all in all and on the whole: some day I wish to be only a Yes-sayer.

Originally posted by nepenthe
    YOSC....

The Plextor 708 does come in black and can utilize a greater variety of disks (brands).
    That was my first instinct (as I'm a Plextor fan)....but she wanted that exact model Sony...said many peeps on the Pinnacle forums use that one without any issues, and other brands have had issues.
    Guinness for Strength!!!