Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Few Questions for my Earthlink DSL..

Few Questions for my Earthlink DSL..

Ok I got a few questions first off my dsl is from earthlink but my provider is Verizon .. I average about 78.6kps when i do the speedtest with speakeasy.net. N ow my first question is about my modem earthlink gave me a VisionNet modem .. (which feels and looks like it came outta cracker jack box) now is this a decent modem or do better more expensive modems actually give better bandwidth.. secondly im getting 78k right now do you think with some of the tweaking ive seen being posted on here that i could get up to around 100k? my speed provided is 1.5/128 so i was hoping for a little faster connection .. now being as i play games my ping is decent so that part its good but i just wish i could get some better download speed..

This is my first post so any feedback would be great...

P.S my residence is provided for me from my work so i dont have the option of changing service providers so If anyone can help me get the max speed outta my connection would be awesome thanks..
    Last edited by detroitmadden; 11-18-03 at 01:21 PM.

Sorry to bust your bubble but you are provisioned at 768/128 Speeds, when you are under AOL Broadband, Earthlink, etc, you get the lowest speed caps under Verizon Lines and there's nothing you can do about it unless Verizon allows the speed increases, now if you switch over to Verizon then you can probably qualify for 1.5/128 speeds.

Note: Most ISPs allow the speed increases for DSL Resellers, not Verizon.

Well Dang that really sucks.. well do you still think there is anychance I can still tweak my download rate from 78k to about 100k .. and what about a modem change do you think that would help at all ?

Thanks again

I don't think so....how about doing a speed test by going here....http://www.broadbandreports.com/stest and post the results back and then a tweak test http://www.broadbandreports.com/tweaks and then you have speedguide.net's own Tweaking Forum here...http://forums.speedguide.net/forumdi...?s=&forumid=54

ok ill give them a try and post the results

Originally posted by DSL Broadband
    I don't think so....how about doing a speed test by going here....http://www.broadbandreports.com/stest and post the results back and then a tweak test http://www.broadbandreports.com/tweaks and then you have speedguide.net's own Tweaking Forum here...http://forums.speedguide.net/forumdi...?s=&forumid=54
    When are you going to learn that this is Speedguide NOT DSLR???????

Receive Window (RWIN): 64440
    Window Scaling: off
    Path MTU Discovery: ON
    RFC1323 Window Scaling: OFF
    RFC1323 Time Stamping: OFF
    Selective Acks: ON
    MSS requested: 1432
    TTL:
    (less any hops behind firewall)
    TTL remaining: 120

Actual data bytes sent: 148864
    Actual data packets: 104
    Max packet sent (MTU): 1472
    Max packet recd (MTU): 1472
    Retransmitted data packets: 2
    sacks you sent: 5
    pushed data pkts: 5
    data transmit time: 2.551 secs
    our max idletime: 918.3 ms
    transfer rate: 45225 bytes/sec
    transfer rate: 361 kbits/sec
    This is not a speed test!
    transfer efficiency: 98%

detroitmadden what OS are you using?

using xp with service pack 1 all updates done

OK then your MTU needs to be either 1480 or 1492. Did you use XP's PPPoE setup that is described HERE? If so then your MTU needs to be 1480, in this case try the registry file I made HERE if you are using your ISPs PPPoE software then try redoing it as shown in the link I provided.

Once we set it right we can tweak the rest of your settings.

Originally posted by mnosteele52
    When are you going to learn that this is Speedguide NOT DSLR???????

Does it matter? I'm trying to help him out...Damn just because you are speedguide geek doesn't mean I can't post information from other websites, if you have problem take it up with a moderator or the administrator, Case Closed!

Originally posted by DSL Broadband
    Does it matter? I'm trying to help him out...Damn just because you are speedguide geek doesn't mean I can't post information from other websites, if you have problem take it up with a moderator or the administrator, Case Closed!
    OK I will, case open.

Problem is all you ever do is refer them to DSLR????

Originally posted by mnosteele52
    OK I will, case open.

Problem is all you ever do is refer them to DSLR????

Not all the time, I just told him to do a Tweak and Speed Test there, I didn't refer them to their forums....and BTW, I see what you was talking about with the moderators, I ran into a problem with a Verizon Mod there....

Dont fight guys or atleast wait till i get fixed eheeh.. anyway no im not using pppoe .

Originally posted by detroitmadden
    Dont fight guys or atleast wait till i get fixed eheeh.. anyway no im not using pppoe .
    Nah it's just anytime I try to help someone out like yourself and refer someone to another website, his pants get tight! The purpose is to try and solve user's problems no matter what the case is.

Originally posted by detroitmadden
    anyway no im not using pppoe .
    Are you 100% sure? Verizon where I live is PPPoE.

well from that link that you gave me i didnt put in a username or anyting when i set up my connection .. i just got rid of dial up and when i got dsl i just pluged it in and went i didnt set up anything.. is there a way to check ?

I take that back the PPPoE light on my modem is solid so Im gonna say yes i am using it

OK then try the registry patch I gave you the link to.

Ok ill try that and ill let you know the results tommorw see how it did.. thanks alot for your time