Thread: My PSU is dead

Unhappy My PSU is dead

I had an Antec True 430 in rig 2, and I added more fans to the fan only line than I should have over the summer. It was working fine (except that line) than two of the fans gave out and it started rebooting randomly. Today I came home and it was reving high and low so I had to pull the plug on her for now. I'll have to go to Compusa and pick up a new one this weekend. I killed a perfectly good PSU is what it boils down to. May she rest in pieces.

Re: My PSU is dead

Originally posted by cyPHer_138
    I had an Antec True 430 in rig 2, and I added more fans to the fan only line than I should have over the summer. It was working fine (except that line) than two of the fans gave out and it started rebooting randomly. Today I came home and it was reving high and low so I had to pull the plug on her for now. I'll have to go to Compusa and pick up a new one this weekend. I killed a perfectly good PSU is what it boils down to. May she rest in pieces.
    hey man you said that it reboots randomly b/c of the bad psu? my com, prob read my threads, reboots randomly. how can i test my psu to see if it's bad?
    *~*Killing Machine*~*
    P4 2.53ghz | 512mb PC2700 DDR | ASUS P4S8X Mobo | ATI Radeon 9700 Pro | Soundblaster Live 5.1 Platinum w/ Live Drive | WD 120gig Hd | Maxtor 80gig Hd | Plextor PX-504A/SW 4x DVD-R | Plextor 48x24x48 CD-R | ThermalTake Xaser II Case / 430watt Antec Truepower PSU | Win2K Pro | HP 18.1" LCD Screen

*~*Backup Computer*~*
    Celeron 400mhz | 256mb of pc100 | Maxtor 80gig Hd | nVidia TNT | ASUS Mobo | Sony 48x24x48 CD-R | Sony 52x CD-Rom | Win2K Pro | Sony Trinitron 17in Flat Screen

If you have access to a multi meter you could check the rails on it.
    Because I overloaded the fan only line on mine I knew it's days were numbered. Than theres the reving, reboots and certain fans going out. All signs point to the PSU. I'll look at your thread later and see if I see anything in it that might help.

If you have access to a multi meter you could check the rails on it.
    Because I overloaded the fan only line on mine I knew it's days were numbered. Than theres the reving, reboots and certain fans going out. All signs point to the PSU. I'll look at your thread later and see if I see anything in it that might help.
    i'll see if i can find anyone with a meter. thanks cypher!
    *~*Killing Machine*~*
    P4 2.53ghz | 512mb PC2700 DDR | ASUS P4S8X Mobo | ATI Radeon 9700 Pro | Soundblaster Live 5.1 Platinum w/ Live Drive | WD 120gig Hd | Maxtor 80gig Hd | Plextor PX-504A/SW 4x DVD-R | Plextor 48x24x48 CD-R | ThermalTake Xaser II Case / 430watt Antec Truepower PSU | Win2K Pro | HP 18.1" LCD Screen

*~*Backup Computer*~*
    Celeron 400mhz | 256mb of pc100 | Maxtor 80gig Hd | nVidia TNT | ASUS Mobo | Sony 48x24x48 CD-R | Sony 52x CD-Rom | Win2K Pro | Sony Trinitron 17in Flat Screen

It's definatly a driver issue. When I don't clean install them here's what I do:
    First DL Driver Cleaner 2.6 from here
    http://www.driverheaven.net/#article_7721
    You'll have to register to do so but it's a great site so it's worth it.
    Uninstall display drivers from CP and reboot as prompted.
    Run the ATI uninstall.exe in C: Program Files/ATI Technologies/uninstalAll.
    Reboot to safe mode and run driver cleaner for ATI than go to tools and choose .cab cleaner
    Reboot and install latest drivers.

are you talking about my video card thread? if so i meant this thread WinXP Rebooting Problem. let me know if you know of anything. thanks again man!
    *~*Killing Machine*~*

*~*Backup Computer*~*

I was referring to this one:
    http://forums.speedguide.net/showthr...hreadid=129969
    i've since then uninstalled and reinstalled drivers but haven't run 3dmark03 again yet. i will soon and post if the problems were fixed.

did you have any suggestions on the winsp rebooting problem?
    *~*Killing Machine*~*

*~*Backup Computer*~*

SG Elite
    Well...gonna go buy a new one or what?

Yeah I picked up a 500watt one for $50 at Compusa. Yesterday I had a BIOS issue with rig 1 so I was completely computer less for a while there. I came close to getting that Abit but I decided I'm so sick of buying hardware lately I'd wait for an RMA. As I was getting ready to pack it up I cleared it the CMOS one more time and got it back up and running. I'm gonna try to hold out until they get BTX and 64-bit out and bug free before I upgrade again. Besides I have other things to spend my money on for now.