Thread: digital cable

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    ryanj81

digital cable

I just had digital cable installed in my house and instilation and all the other crap was pretty expensive so i decided to try and run the cable into our other room myself instead of giving them one more thing to charge me for. The cable comes in from the wall and into a Motorola digital cable box then into the TV. I could split the line after the cable box, but i think then i'll be forced to watch whatever my girlftiend is watching in the other room. I want to know if to hook up another TV to the line they put in if I need to purchase another cable box. If i get another cable box does something like that have to be inputed with codes from the cable company in order to work through the line they installed or does the cable box already do all that? Thanks for any help anyone can give.

LOL!!!!11ONEEXCLAMATIONT! master7's Avatar
    I'm pretty sure, that you can just split the line - and you can have two seperate signals, so you can watch different channels.
    Of course - don't quote me on this, just give it a whirl
    i'm going to become rich and famous after i invent a device that allows you to stab people in the face over the internet

Yes you can just split the line before the cable box and run one line back into the cable box, and the other line to the other TV. The only reason to get another Cable Box would be to watch the Digital Stations. Usually your HBO's Cinemax, Showtime are Digital. On most cable systems the Digital Package will get you rougly 30-40 more channels. Then you pay more if you want HBO... Without getting a box from the Cable Co you'll still be able to watch regular Cable just not the digital channels.
    Respect it.

Originally posted by ScottE
    Without getting a box from the Cable Co you'll still be able to watch regular Cable just not the digital channels.
    As are many of the providers, analog services are going away. Comcast, for example, will cease to offer analog services the end of the year. If you want anything beyond local stations you'll have to get a digital settop to watch even basic cable.

Originally posted by C.M. Weaver
    As are many of the providers, analog services are going away. Comcast, for example, will cease to offer analog services the end of the year. If you want anything beyond local stations you'll have to get a digital settop to watch even basic cable.
    That's f****d up!
    Comcast just wants somthing else to charge it's analog customers for. Am I right, probobly? Comcast has more of the market for Cable TV here in the US but yet they still look for ways to screw their customers eveytime a change is made to their cable system.

Personally I hate their digital boxes, their for one thing annoying. I'm the kind of person that likes to flip through channels without all those menu's to look at... No analog means annoying menu with digital.

LOL!!!!11ONEEXCLAMATIONT! master7's Avatar
    I love the menus.
    I can scroll through them fast - seeing whats on, and what will be on. Better than sitting in front of the TV Guide channel for 5 minutes just too see whats on.
    i'm going to become rich and famous after i invent a device that allows you to stab people in the face over the internet

Geef
    Comcast just wants somthing else to charge it's analog customers for. Am I right, probobly? Comcast has more of the market for Cable TV here in the US but yet they still look for ways to screw their customers eveytime a change is made to their cable system.
    No actually your not right.
    Link to FCC website

I'll just take a single sentance off that webpage.

" Congress has required broadcasters to stop sending an analog`television signal by December 31, 2006, or when 85% of the households in a market are capable of receiving a digital broadcast signal, if that date is later "

Oh well, was a good theory anyways. hehe

The one good thing that will come out of this is, it will cut back on cable theft.