Thread: Linux frustrations

Linux frustrations

Man everything you download has to be compiled

I just hate it...

I love Windows when I want to do something quick.

WinRules!!
    Have your feelings been hurt by a random act of E-Thuggery? If so, call 1-800-Waaaaahmbulance, we're here 24 hrs a day, 7 days a week, to take your call, you could be due a large monetary settlement, don't delay, call now.

"Please be careful prior to entering the world wide web, the internet is serious business"

Uninsured for your health
    I always thought it was kinda easy to compilr and install stuff under Unix systems...
    Quote Originally Posted by Three Rivers Designs
    America! Love it or give it back!

no. no, No. NO, NO... NO! stevebakh's Avatar
    which distro do you use?

With my distro I can either compile or emerge (using Gentoo 1.4).

I know with distros like debian, redhat, mandrake etc, they have RPMs and installer scripts for most software.

Besides, compiling is easy peasy and more customised for your specific machine when you have it set in the make.conf for your CPU etc

red hat 8.0

it not the compile is that hard, but customziing it for my specification machine and then when it breaks figuring out why..lol

btw anyone use nagios?

I tried getting Nagios going a few weeks ago with no luck.

I might give it another shot since my company won't spring for any monitoring software.

BTW I like using APT for Redhat
    If you add
    ### Dag Apt Repository for Red Hat 8.0
    rpm http://apt.sw.be redhat/8.0/en/i386 dag to your sources.list ,
    you should be able to 'apt-get install nagios'

I had no luck but you might.
    Picture yourself
    Set up for good in a whole other life
    In the mystery zone

i have nagios installed but trying to compile NRPE2.0 plugin on the nagios server

trying to change the port from standard 5666 to another port, but whenver i make that change it seems to keep picking up 5666 from somewhere

http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/n...ar.gz?download

Here is the download

I know what problem you may be having GH. With a lot of software, there are dependancies that it needs in order to run. This isn't the case with all software. The website usually has a list of all the dependencies + links just in case you don't already have them

If you have gentoo or debian though, there's system which allows you to automatically download and install any dependencies and the program you want.

For example, if I don't want to compile something myself in gentoo... I can check portage and use the emerge command [apt get in debian] and it will auto install any dependencies needed

SG Enthusiast
    If you use a package mgr it will find the dependancies so you know what else you need to run the sw.

rpmfind.net is a good source. If you need to customize, you can get the source rpm (.srpm) and set many of the compile-tiem options.

Skye
    anything is possible - nothing is free

Quote Originally Posted by Blisster
    It *would* be brokeback bay if I in fact went and hung out with Skye and co (did I mention he is teh hotness?)

SG Enthusiast
    WinRules!!
    For games, maybe.... For everything else, there's unixcard. Don't leave /home without it.

It *would* be brokeback bay if I in fact went and hung out with Skye and co (did I mention he is teh hotness?)

Originally posted by cyberskye
    For games, maybe.... For everything else, there's unixcard. Don't leave /home without it.
    Those days are ending

Seriously. UT2003 comes with the install script on disk, UT2004 will even sport the penguin on the box. Quake 3 is native, and so many other games work.

Sadly, I don't think hl2 will be released. Valve like to butfook the linux community. Make server software but no game clients. Gits

SG Enthusiast
    steve - have you played with WINE at all? http://www.winehq.org

EDIT = fixed the typo for the link

I've had a little dabble with it. Nothing major. The programs I wanted to run were un-tested and didn't run too well. I think I need to play around a bit more and try adding external dll files that might be needed.

What about you? Had any luck with it?

SG Enthusiast
    Haven't had the need - don't game much and productivity apps are all available OpenSource anymore.

Many of my bor's have - heard they have made some great strides in the last 6 months - year. Might be worth another look if it's been a while - which app(s) had you tried?

Hmmmmm...../* got me thinkin about giving it a try with apps we use at work - MS project, visio, office... */

Might be worth taking a serious stab - would love to get my folks off the evil empire....

SG Enthusiast
    Apologies GhostHunter - did not intent to hijack

I've downloaded the package and am reading through the README - are you running this out of xinetd? If so, do you know about/how to configure services in xinetd? I can help there.

Please post:

1. how you run it - super server or standalone

2. The /etc/xinetd.d/xxx file you are using for the service or the /etc/rc.conf file

3. Your firewall settings

Once we rule out system-level possibilities, we can start looking at the plgn's config file.

Cheers,

Skye

Thanks all for the updates

To be honest I have been so busy have not had a chance to look at that package again but I will.

I am running into another issue that is really boggling.

I have Nagios running on a Redhat 8.0 linux box with apache

There is this one workstation, for whatever reason cannot log into Nagios. No matter what username and password I use. Even though those usernames/password work fine on other workstations.

Any clue? Would this be a workstation issue or a linux apache issue?

ok i figured out the userid/password issue

even though it makes no sense i just reset the password using the htpasswd command

but why would it work on one machine and not the other..who knows..lol

SG Enthusiast
    GH - it is possible to set mod_auth to respond to user/pass, ip address, etc - so it could work from one place and not the other.

Get on the server. Check the .htaccess file in the directory where the (i assume html) access page is. You can sorta tell what is being used to authenticate.

check the apache docs on mod_auth and mod_access. You can tell which you use by the LoadModule statements in httpd.conf

Cheers,

Skye