Thread: Extremely high ping

Riot55

Extremely high ping

Hi, I have a problem w/ my connection. I can browze and d/l fine off the internet but my ping goes through the roof. I can get a couple games in around 4:00 then later my game is totally unplayable. I'm talking about steady 1-3 seconds of ping.
    I run neotrace on my default gateway and it seems to be the source of the high pings, yet the tech support pinged my default gateway and a good ping, but not when he pinged my pc.
    I've formatted and re-installed... still no change.

I have a tech support guy coming over to my house(again) next week to check some things out.
    It also seems that when I connect to a gaming server my ping seems to stay constantly high, while disconnected from a server the ping rate seems to just spike here and there.

Someone suggested that there maybe a problem w/ the line outside. I don't know what it's going to take for the cable co. to replace that if that is the problem. (how are they going to know)

Has anyone heard about an issue similar to this? Or does anyone have a theory as to what the problem may be and how I can get it fixed.
    TY

Riot55
    I did a search and found this http://forums.speedguide.net/showthr...highlight=ping

I also seen your guidlines upon asking questions.
    I will try to supply the information to the best of my ability.

1. What type of connection do you have? i.e. 56K, ISDN, DSL (PPPoE or not), Cable etc
    A= cable

2. Who is your ISP and what is your advertised speed from them? i.e. Cox.net & 3000/256 - this is advertised in kilobits per second.
    A= shaw, speed = I'm not sure the up and down speeds

3. What are your current settings now? Do a TCP/IP Analyzer test and copy and paste the results (remember to XXXXX out your IP address) here.
    A=TCP properties for IP = xxx.xx.xxx.xxx ()
    Browser/OS = Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; DigExt)
    Notes: Read the Analyzer FAQ if the above is not your IP address.
    Your IP (xx.xxx.xxx) appears to be behind a web proxy server (xx.xx.xx.xxx) and results shown might not be for your system.

TCP options string = 020405b40103030201010402
    MTU = 1500
    MTU is fully optimized for broadband.
    MSS = 1460
    Maximum useful data in each packet = 1460, which equals MSS.

Default Receive Window (RWIN) = 256960
    RWIN Scaling (RFC1323) = 2 bits (scale factor of 4)
    Unscaled Receive Window = 64240

RWIN is a multiple of MSS
    Other values for RWIN that might work well with your current MTU/MSS:
    513920 (MSS x 44 * scale factor of 8)
    128480 (MSS x 44 * scale factor of 2)
    64240 (MSS x 44)
    bandwidth * delay product:

Your RcvWindow limits you to: 10278.4 kbps (1284.8 KBytes/s) @ 200ms
    Your RcvWindow limits you to: 4111.36 kbps (513.92 KBytes/s) @ 500ms
    MTU Discovery (RFC1191) = ON
    Time to live left = 58 hops

TTL value is ok.
    Timestamps (RFC1323) = OFF
    Selective Acknowledgements (RFC2018) = ON
    IP type of service field (RFC1349) = 00000000

4. Please tell us your operating system i.e. 95, 98, 98SE, ME, 2K or XP.
    A=winXP, but I just installed that like last week, it was happening in win98 as well.

5. It is an ABSOLUTE must that you download, update and then scan with Ad Aware 6.0 AND SpyBot Search & Destroy 1.2 prior to asking for help...
    A= Done.. removed some tracking cookies, and last week removed some gator stuff from when I installed divx codecs.

There are a couple other things to do here but I don't quite have the info and understanding of it (cable nut stuff...RWIN & BIT CALCULATOR)

I'll get back to that.

TY in advance

fem the retarded rabbit mccoffee's Avatar
    NO software will change ur ping the high ping is either on the cable line it self, isp servers maybe bad modem. There is nothing you can do do about ping but maybe rwire the cable with new wires/spiltters, that's it.
    Comptia a+ n+

Riot55
    A cable tech guy came over last week and replaced the modem, switched places in the splitter, and read the cable w/ an instrument which gave him a reading of +3 which he said was ok.
    I'm ready to switch to dsl, but I want to do what I can to try and resolve the issue. I'm not fond of the switch.

Is there any tasks I should ask the tech to perform?

Are you running any software firewall and or hardware firewalls??
    Comptia a+ n+

Riot55
    I'm running Zonealarm and the firewall option in xp is presently disabled. I'll try running the machine w/out the firewall and see what happens. I have two computers connected to a hub. They voth use zonealarm, and both ping oout at the same time, I've connected to a gaming server on both machines.

Today I looked around at my cable installation. I even went outside to look at the wire coming from the pole. It went through a tree, which I climbed and found that the wire was bare from rubbing against the tree. The wire was grey and I presume that that was the wire used just to add support for the line, I don't know though.

Riot55
    Some of the wire that is in the house is old like the wire going into the upstairs bedroom. I can only see this wire coming up from the basement. I see it ion the basement being a tang colour, then when it comes out in our bedroom it's black. I don't know where the spitter is for that. I probably can ask the cable guy when he comes here to bypass that wire. He'll have to drill a hole in the wall, but thats ok. From there there is only one wire that is original, maybe I can get him to replace that one too. Then at least we can rule out the wiring from inside the house.

Zone alarm and the hub i is not helping the internet performance either. Get a router it will kill two birds with on stone.

I'm not a cable tech but if your wires are old try a new drop maybe it might help.
    Comptia a+ n+

Riot55
    I bypassed the hub, and even switch wires.. still no go.
    I just played a couple games this morining w/ no trouble at all. I left neotrace running in the background and it never went past 600ms. At night 5:00+, it spikes up into the seconds. I also dhut down my firewall and ended up w/ the same results.

No,No Ok the hub could be part of the spikes, ZA is terrible for resources and internet connection, The only thing you could do is to fix spikes is to rewire the cable around the house, maybe switch modem. No software would fix lag spikes.
    Comptia a+ n+