Thread: wired vs wireless router

wired vs wireless router

thanks to the nice people here at speedguide i have my wireless dell truemobile router working along with my linksys wired router. linksys is connected to 2 desktops and wireless is for my notebook

my question is why do i need the wired router... why not just use the wireless...

i'm sure there are some important considerations (security??) but i'm hoping you might explain so that i can decide if i can just use wireless without penalties...

thanks for any help with this
    Rookie (some day)

I guess I assumed all along you had a reason for having both devices on your network, like a different location for the WAP, etc.

But no- the 2300 will do the same job as your Linksys.

Wondered if you ever got it hooked up- you never posted back.
    Observe everything...focus on nothing..

sorry about not posting back... i was able to connect to internet after resetting the host machine... but i've been away for couple days and just powered up the notebook and i do have internet access...

however, i'll leave it up for a few hours to make sure my connection isn't dropped (the problem i was having before speedguide's help).

as to your response to my original question, i'm going to reset the wireless router and see if i can get it set up that way and reduce some of the hardware and wires around this place.

thank for you help!
    Rookie (some day)

fem the retarded rabbit mccoffee's Avatar
    Rookie in networking help below me they have guides on how to secure your wap

or here same site http://www.practicallynetworked.com/howto/
    Comptia a+ n+