Thread: wireless router connection

wireless router connection

i just installed my first wireless router(dell truemobile 2300) and i have it connected to my linksys router (4 pt). all seems to work ok except every so often i lose my connection and have to reset the modem... not sure what's causing this??

also... i'm not able to get into the webbased config tool... is this because i have it connected to my linksys... what can i do to get into the config tool?

thanx for any help on this or perhaps a tutorial link

rookie
    Rookie (some day)

fem the retarded rabbit mccoffee's Avatar
    I would suggest manual ips http://www.speedguide.net/read_articles.php?id=177

http://www.practicallynetworked.com/....htm#manual_IP

To get dns server goto start menu run type cmd type ipconfig/all in the command prompt and write down the dns server settings.

Also make sure you have the firmware up to date. If you need help updating don't be afaird to ask.
    Comptia a+ n+

thanx for the helpful suggestions... looks like it's study time b-4 any other questions...

rookie
    Rookie (some day)

my main prob seems to be that my brow is thicker than that of neanderthal man...

my current situation is:

* im running xp and have a 4 pt linksys (hardwired) (with 2 desktops)

* cable modem (3 megabit service)

* i just purchased a new dell notebook that came with truemobile 2300 wireless router (the only reason i need wireless is for the notebook).

* i installed the 2300 by connecting the cat 5 cable to a lan port on the 2300 and to one of the ports on my linksys.

* after installing sw the notebook detected the wireless connection ok and i was able to connect to internet. Could this dropped link have anything to do with someone picking up my wireless sig and using my bandwith (kind of dumb but i think one of my neighbors is trying/doing this)

* however, once in a while it would drop the connection and i would have to reset the (wireless) modem to get the connection back.

* on a couple occasions, i noted that i had dropped the connection on my 2 desktop puters (after resetting the linksys modem my connection was restored)

* when i try to go into the webbased config tool (192.168.2.1) on the 2300 wirless router, i'm not able to do so with the linksys still hooked up

* is this prob because of the way i have my routers hooked up or do i need to make changes to routers or xp network settings?

thanx for any further help with this
    Rookie (some day)

fem the retarded rabbit mccoffee's Avatar
    Yeah did you do the manual ips that is all u need in xp?? Did u upgrade firmware and also the network card drivers.

Also if you did do the manual/static ips try turning off the dhcp server in the router also make sure block wan request is disabled.
    Comptia a+ n+