Thread: Static IP addresses

Static IP addresses

Ok... heres my question.

If I manually set my IP address in the tcp/ip properties, and I set a static IP address on my router, will I run into any problems? I heard someone talking about that if you set a static IP your ISP can boot you? The reason I am asking is because I want to disable the DHCP and DNS clients, which shouldn't be needed if the IP's are static right?

Trev

*edit* also, with a static IP address on my router, should I leave it on 192.168.1.1?

Thanks

You have me a little confused but I'll give it a shot.
    Your talking about two different configurations.

What you do on the LAN side of that router makes no difference to your ISP what so ever. You can set static IP's on the LAN side along with disabling DHCP. Your router IP is fine, that's always static anyways.

But just if i'm not clear of what your trying to do here's some more info about the WAN side of things. If you ISP doesn't offer you a static IP DON'T SET ONE! That can cause problems with others users that try to pull that IP off the ISP's DHCP server.

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    I see no reason why you'd want to play with static IP's on your router. Static IP's on your computers settings are one thing...I often do that, especially for servers, etc. And your router always has a static LAN IP...that's it's gateway address. Usually no reason to ever change that. But the WAN side of the router...you should leave that to whatever the ISP specifies...which is usually either "obtain auto" for cable ISP's, or "PPPoE obtain auto" for DSL setups, or plain "obtain auto" for bridged or PPPoA DSL setups.

Even my customers with business grade, static IP address DSL accounts, I have them set on obtain auto on the WAN side. Their fixed IP address is driven down from the ISP by their PPPoE account info.

I've never set any routers WAN side with a fixed IP address. Since most accounts are dynamic...naturally that will cause problems with. If you have a static IP account with your ISP, your IP should still be controlled by the ISP, and that IP should be given to your router anyways through the DHCP from the ISP. If your router obtains an IP other than the one you're supposed to get, then something else is wrong most likely on the ISP's end.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Thanks for the info, I guess I just do it so I can free up some more memory = more performance.

Thanks though

Trev