Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Higher FSB or Higher CPU Speed ???

Higher FSB or Higher CPU Speed ???

Which did you choose ? a higher FSB at the cost of CPU overall speed or Higher CPU speed minus a few MHZ FSB ???

I guess we all have to decide this right ????

If it's dramatic one way or the other I guess you would choose th most dramtic difference huh ???

I may ....

Just may have reached my goal ......

Testing for stability and temps right now ...... I'll def post pics if I made it ....
    Network Engineer for Linux/Windows/Netware servers and connectivity for remotes sites via VPN in Roanoke, VA.

i go for Mhz for the fold baby
    4930K@4.3~32GBGskill~asusX79deluxe~Vega64~240GB-SSD-OS drive~500GB-SSD-scratch~240GB-SSD-thrash~4TB storage~6.4TB-ioMemorycard~Windows 7 pro
    *~ SG stats

Yeha see I got a tip from someone else that the 3000+ Maxes out at 210/211 FSB ... ( his is a 400 mhz and mine is 333mhz )

After the lapping and application of Ceramique , plus the addition of a 60mm Fan to the NB ....

and an update to Bios 1007

( Not sure what helped most , or if it was the total combo that did it ... )

I am able to run ( as of now ) at 209 X 11.5

FSB loss of 2 MHZ ...

CPU Gain of 87 Mhz ....
    Network Engineer for Linux/Windows/Netware servers and connectivity for remotes sites via VPN in Roanoke, VA.

i prefer FSB speed over everything else. of course, that really depends on what you need. when i was always fiddling with the OC, greater yields were to be found in memory/front side bus speed increases over multiplier increases.

again, it depends on what you need. if the app relies on math crunching (like F@H) instead of how fast it can move and modify mass data (3D graphics and such), you'd probably benefit from more clock cycles.
    "Today is a black day in the history of mankind."

- Leo Szilard

FSB BABY!!

even an ever so slight fsb change , for a dramatic CPU speed change ??

I mean I agree if it's 10 Mhz FSB .... but I'm thinking 2 FSB for 87MHZ CPU speed would be worth it to me ...

dude , you have to decide what you want from your PC, benchmark scores or real world performance in the applications you use.

i would love to have the speed you have got so far, so just get down to enjoying the new found speed.

4930K@4.3~32GBGskill~asusX79deluxe~Vega64~240GB-SSD-OS drive~500GB-SSD-scratch~240GB-SSD-thrash~4TB storage~6.4TB-ioMemorycard~Windows 7 pro
    *~ SG stats

Thanks Mark ... only thing is I can't really get down to enjoying it until I get a new Vid card though ... lol

I'm just excited to finally hit the goal of 2.4 ... I'd still like to see 210 X 11.5 But I'd need better cooling for higher Vcore .....

I think I could pull it off with the case open and the SS II runnign full speed .... I just can't handle the noise and chance of foriegn objects gettign in there ... lol

yes , yes I know ... before you guys say it ... WATERCOOLING .... lol

Originally posted by Mytflyguy
    Thanks Mark ... only thing is I can't really get down to enjoying it until I get a new Vid card though ... lol

I'm just excited to finally hit the goal of 2.4 ... I'd still like to see 210 X 11.5 But I'd need better cooling for higher Vcore .....

I think I could pull it off with the case open and the SS II runnign full speed .... I just can't handle the noise and chance of foriegn objects gettign in there ... lol

yes , yes I know ... before you guys say it ... WATERCOOLING .... lol

watercooling...

Or a phase change H20 hybrid.

When I get my new ram ima OC this new XP3000+ and see how far I can get it, but I hit 2.3 without any problems so far (40c on load, stable). FSB is really where you want your speed, the more FSB you have the higher you can multiply it for more resulting MHz.

Kyler1

Folding Thunder
    Originally posted by extreme
    FSB BABY!!
    Yeeeea boi!

Originally posted by LT-73
    Yeeeea boi!

damn nice LT!!

Folding Thunder
    Gracias xtreme

Now it's your turn

Originally posted by Kyler1
    When I get my new ram ima OC this new XP3000+ and see how far I can get it, but I hit 2.3 without any problems so far (40c on load, stable). FSB is really where you want your speed, the more FSB you have the higher you can multiply it for more resulting MHz.

Kyler1

Let me know how that goes man .... Myself and another guy can't seem to get the FSB any higher than 211 , He feels that's the chips limit .... he has been abole to get up to 207 * 12 though I think ....

My stepping is

AXDA 3000DKV4D
    AQXDA 0312mpm

Folding Thunder
    MFG, the board is what's holding you back bro. That asus isn't a good ocer unless it has vmods.

MFG, the board is what's holding you back bro. That asus isn't a good ocer unless it has vmods.

That is true. I would go abit or epox.

Folding Thunder
    Originally posted by extreme
    That is true. I would go abit or epox.
    That's what alot of Asus owners are doing. The ones that aren't swapping over are the ones that have vmodded the hell out of them.

My NF7-s 2.0 has no vmods at all and even with a weak psu my FSB is 230.

I have a NF7 non s sittin in it's box all vmodded and ready to rock.

I Haven't had problems with my A7N8X yet, but like I said I haven't OCed it above 2x180(360MHz) * 12.5 yet... this ram just wouldn't like much more.

So when you mention Vmods , you mean just the ability to push more Vcore to it ?? Or is it more to it ?? Isn't there a Vmod that allows more Voltage to the NB ??

I doubt I would want to put the Vcore much higher than it already is. My Air cooling isn't enough for much more Vcore ...

BTW , I've gotten back up to 210 X 11.5 for 2420 at 1.75 (1.8) Volts
    Last edited by Mytflyguy; 10-13-03 at 09:55 AM.