Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: where will SG be in 10YrS?

Quote Originally Posted by Philip View Post
    The main site is doing well, it's true the general forum has slowed down a lot lately.

Will be upgrading the server in a month or two and moving to vBulletin 4 for the forums... I hope to revamp the entire site and upgrade the backend at some point later this year and introduce new features to attract more people to the forums as well, but it is a huge project.
    Seen 4.0 on a couple forums. Definitely looks very nice. I've been out of touch with the software end of that stuff since I sold GameGen.

Blog Entries
    It looks nice, I'm not sure how it is performance-wise... Last thing I heard people were complaining about their CMS - 200+ database queries just to display the front page can slow down any server to a crawl.
    I hope the forum portion is more robust and not as server-intensive.

The main site is doing well, it's true the general forum has slowed down a lot lately.

Will be upgrading the server in a month or two and moving to vBulletin 4 for the forums... I hope to revamp the entire site and upgrade the backend at some point later this year and introduce new features to attract more people to the forums as well, but it is a huge project.
    That sounds awesome.

I don't keep up with the vB stuff but I hope something in your overhaul helps us be more united as far as gen vs tech sections.

For a mmobrowser game I play I recently setup a phpbb3 board with an arcade mod(free hosting site/dumb easy noob setup ) to try and keep our group's players interested in coming back. Doesn't seem to have worked yet.

ugg... vB 4 is a major disappointment.. it looks like crap and is very hard to change things with as in using existing features. I've been messing with it since the test phase.

Blog Entries
    Haven't had a chance to play with vB 4 much yet, I have to upgrade the server first. Many people seem disappointed with the development and changes to the licensing structure ever since vB got sold...

Just wanted to add, even though the general forum may appear slow lately, the site is pretty much alive - we're actively adding content daily. The router database contains a catalog of over 850 !! routers now, the ports database has grown to be maybe the most complete one online, we're posting news daily, etc. There is a CS girl (Daniela) you may have noticed helping with the news and maintaining the routers DB, and we're actively working to make SG a better place for everyone's benefit.

Quote Originally Posted by Sava700 View Post
    good grief

I will be making lots of money, cause booze will be illegal, and I will have at least 20 stills.

Blog Entries
    The upgrade sounds good Philip... Is the server still going to be on Fedora Linux ?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinobi View Post
    The upgrade sounds good Philip... Is the server still going to be on Fedora Linux ?
    Yes, the new server will be Fedora 12... Here are the specs:

SUPERMICRO SYS-6016T-NTRF 1U Rackmount Barebone Server (dual gigabit Intel NICs, redundant 650W PSUs in 1U pizza box!) NewEgg link

2ea. Intel Xeon E5520 Nehalem 2.26GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 80W Quad-Core Server Processor (8 cores + hyperthreading...)

12GB (6 x 2GB) Patriot Signature 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) ECC Registered Server Memory Model PSD36G1333ERK

4ea. Western Digital RE3 WD5002ABYS-01B1B0 500GB 7200 RPM SATA (3 of them in RAID 1, 4th one for some backups and extra strorage)

OS: Linux Fedora Core 12 stripped down of X-Windows and all unnecessary services.

nice specs Philip

My~Rig
    |Athlon 64 X2 3800+ Toledo 2.0GHz @ 2.5Ghz||ASROCK 939Dual-SATA2||OCZ Platinum 2GB (2 x 1GB) PC3200|ZALMAN 120MM CNPS7700-CU|
    |ATI XT 1600 PRO|CSB SB0570 Audigy SE 7.1||WD SE16 SATA 320GB HD|Hitachi SATA 160GB HD|Thermaltake TR2 W0070 ATX 430W Power Supply |WIN 7 Ultimate| (College Budget)

Blog Entries
    Yes, the new server will be Fedora 12... Here are the specs:

SUPERMICRO SYS-6016T-NTRF 1U Rackmount Barebone Server (dual gigabit Intel NICs, redundant 650W PSUs in 1U pizza box!) NewEgg link

2ea. Intel Xeon E5520 Nehalem 2.26GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 80W Quad-Core Server Processor (8 cores + hyperthreading...)

12GB (6 x 2GB) Patriot Signature 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) ECC Registered Server Memory Model PSD36G1333ERK

4ea. Western Digital RE3 WD5002ABYS-01B1B0 500GB 7200 RPM SATA (3 of them in RAID 1, 4th one for some backups and extra strorage)

OS: Linux Fedora Core 12 stripped down of X-Windows and all unnecessary services.
    Now that's a pizza anyone would enjoy. Love the redundant power supplies.. the whole box is awesome. I like Fedora core too.

I'll still be here, hopefully spending more time here after I retire in 2016...using Windows OS 13!

People will still dig up old threads for their own amusement

And the best answer would be - In Philips closest still

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Quote Originally Posted by Noevo View Post
    People will still dig up old threads for their own amusement

And the best answer would be - In Philips closest still
    Duuude!
    Hungry for breakfast.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

In a dry but moldy New Orleans, Louisiana
    Quote Originally Posted by Roody View Post
    Seen 4.0 on a couple forums. Definitely looks very nice. I've been out of touch with the software end of that stuff since I sold GameGen.

Where is a VB4 forum? Iím curious what it looks like.
    Sliding down the banister of life ..........................

Quote Originally Posted by RoundEye View Post
    Haven't seen them recently. VB is still finalizing work on it. All I had seen was Beta versions of it.

Tucson, Arizona Processor: GenuineIntel Member #4896
    ghosts will wander through occasionally...
    If your browser can't read unicode, you should probably switch!

Quote Originally Posted by RoundEye View Post
    VB4 is released, but I didn't like it and didn't move to it for my site. It needs ALOT of work before I'll even consider it in the future.

hey guys whats goin on in here