Thread: How do I close a port?

michaeldavid

How do I close a port?

When I do a security scan, the only thing of concern is port 113. It suggests for me to do that rather than filter it. If I choose to do so, I wouldn't know how. Can you all tell me how I would go about closing a port. I dont know where to gain access. I have McAfee firewall if that is of any help and am running Windows XP Professional with a wireless connection to cable. Thanks Michael

michaeldavid
    Is this an old forum??? Nobody really knows what I am asking??

SG Enthusiast
    Sorry you didn't get an answer. You might do better in the security section.

I'm not that familiar with the McAfee product. It looks like it blocks most ports by default, and you must manually open any you wish to have open.

Port 113 is used by Sendmail servers, and it is important to close it as opposed to setting it to stealth. If it does not return a closed response to inquiries Sendmail will wait up to 5 minutes before allowing your connection.

michaeldavid
    Thanks Kip,, Ill try security. Michael

SG Enthusiast
    When I do a security scan, the only thing of concern is port 113. It suggests for me to do that rather than filter it
    What does 'it' suggest for you to do?

Which version of McAfee are you running?
    anything is possible - nothing is free

Quote Originally Posted by Blisster
    It *would* be brokeback bay if I in fact went and hung out with Skye and co (did I mention he is teh hotness?)

cygnusx4033
    you should download at the critical updates at microsoft or whatever os u use because there should be no ports open, they should be filtered or closed

SG Enthusiast
    ith a wireless connection to cable
    A wireless router? If you have a NAT router, then that is where you need to close 113 (ident)
    anything is possible - nothing is free

Quote Originally Posted by Blisster
    It *would* be brokeback bay if I in fact went and hung out with Skye and co (did I mention he is teh hotness?)