Thread: I HATE Tech Support sometimes!!!!

Angry I HATE Tech Support sometimes!!!!

I HATE tech support sometimes!!!!
    So i was browsing the forums with no problem yesterday afternoon....

I decided to walk to the grocery store and get some stuff for lunch/dinner. I get home about an hour or so later, put the groveries away and check to see for any updates, but am unable to connect to SG.net. I try a few different sites and realize that my connection has timed out. So I reset my modem and router and try again. Still nothing. So then I try to connect usuing my Xbox, connecting it stright to my modem. Nothing.
    So I assume its a typical network outage (although there hadn't been one in over 2 years since I've been with SBC DSL). So I decide to do a little work around the house and make some dinner, figuring that the connection will be back up later.
    (And BTW my GF is out of town so I'm looking forward to a night of gaming!).
    After dinner and whatnot I come back to the computer and it is still not able to connect. I remove my router from the line and plug my NIC directly into the DSL modem, still nothing. So I decide it's time to call SBC and see if there is a reported network outage in my area.
    After going through the 5 minutes of "voice-jail" menus I am finally placed in a queue to speak to a rep. maybe a 3 or 4 minute wait and someone takes my call. After verifying ALL my info, updating my records and asking me for a TON of info, he tells me that I need to contact Tech Support. So he forwards me, and I have to go through the identical voice-jail system once again, and once a TS rep answers I have to update ALL my info again.
    So I tell him the problem and he walks through a few steps trying to troubleshoot my problem.When I tell him that when I try to connect using windows PPPoE client I get a 673 Error he says "Oh, thats totally a Microsoft issue, it sounds like your drivers for you NIC are bad or something" I'm like WTF? NIC drivers bad? are you high? and he tells me that I need to do a system restore. I tell him that I have that disabled in my configuration and he tells me that I should have it enabled and from there we get into a 5 minute discussion about why I don't use the built in system restore in winXP and why it wouldn't matter anyays in this instance becuase I haven't installed ANY software or hardware since the last time I was able to connect. He then tells me that I might need to reinstall my OS!!! I'm like, no way I just did that a few months ago.
    So he pings my modem and it all seems fine from his end, which he reiterates many timews over during the call, so it must be a WindowsXP issue on my end. I tell him that it cannot be a Windows issue because my router can't log in and neithr can my Xbox.
    After about 35 minutes with this guy he decides that my call needs to be escalated to tier-2 support, and can I hold? I say sure and as soon as the line clicks I am kicked back out to the FIRST LEVEL OF the Voice Jail System!!!! AAARRGGGG!!!

So I start all over again and when I finally get a tech on the line I tell him what happens, but since I dont have a case number or the techs name, he cant just automatically escalate my call to tier-2 without doing some troubleshootig first. He is much less cocky however and we chat idly as he runs some line tests and I tell him all the other stuff that I tried and why I am convinced that it is not an issue on my end and that is why I am calling. He tries a few things and then escalates me to tier-2. After holding for about 5 minutes he comes back on the line with a tier-2 tech and leaves us to our call. The tier-2 guy looks at my info and says "Oh , theres a server down ou your node, it went down about 2 hours ago, we've gotten a lot of calls from your area, it should be back up soon"!!!!!!!! GAAAHHHH!!!! Thats what I asked the first tech when I started this whole damn fiasco!!!!!!
    So we end the call, I have resigned to a night of no gaming and my PPPoE client that has been looping trying to connect suddenly connects to the network and I am able to surf once again!!!!!

total time spent on phone 1 hour and 43 minutes!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Abbey
    A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government.

Uninsured for your health
    That's GOTTA suck...

Some guys can't think outside of the flow chart...
    Quote Originally Posted by Three Rivers Designs
    America! Love it or give it back!

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Yup...I sometimes dread having to call SBC support for customers...can spend a LOT of time on the phone til you can get someone with a clue who can actually help. Been simply horrid since they relocated most of their support to Texas.

Worse phone support, in my book, ...Dell, and Computer Associates.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Worse phone support, in my book, ...Dell, and Computer Associates. [/B]
    Dell is really bad. Their support centers are located in India. I have to call them a couple of times a month for customers of mine and I do not think they understand our speech patterns or humor. I am a very sarchostic person and they think I am serious. Bring the Tech support back in the USA so we can communicate effectively....

Thanks

Chim

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Originally posted by chimdogger
    Their support centers are located in India.
    CAI has had their support based out of India for quite some time...Dell is somewhat recent I think.

The language barrier is sometimes so bad, I've simply hung up and called again...suffering through those painful phone menu selections to get to support again in hopes of someone a bit more fluent. It sometimes get hard to understand someone with a heavy accent in a noisy server room.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

I know exactly what you went through, everytime I've had a problem w/ my connection it has been an issue with their equipment. I go through every thin I can think of before I even call them that cuts down on the try this- try that. Wide open West usually starts out blaming your firewall.
    It came upon a midnight clear up my nose