Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: My take on American Values

Not true we are only spending more on National Security which is what it should be. I dont mind my taxes going to the U.S. Military. Without a strong military, our country will be no more so who cares at that point about social programs

How about we cut social programs to improve the deficit?

I dont see any democrats asking for that.

Originally posted by Ghosthunter
    Not true we are only spending more on National Security which is what it should be.
    Not true. Read this take on it from a Republican.

I think we've discussed this before. IMO the Republicans are deliberately running up debt so that funding for certain programs like health care will be impossible. But that's another thread.

Originally posted by torsten
    Not true. Read this take on it from a Republican.

I think we've discussed this before. IMO the Republicans are deliberately running up debt so that funding for certain programs like health care will be impossible. But that's another thread.

lol yeah republicans hate healthcare so much they will run the debt on purpose

SG Enthusiast
    I think that the deficit has a lot of republicans - fiscally responsible people - scared. Taxes will eventually have to go back up to pay for this.

I don't mind military spending. I don't know about all the bribes that we are paying countries in the 'war on terror' - why are we spending 8.5b on turkey and 87b on our troops? THat's 10% and what does it get us?
    anything is possible - nothing is free

Quote Originally Posted by Blisster
    It *would* be brokeback bay if I in fact went and hung out with Skye and co (did I mention he is teh hotness?)

I am self reliant and tend to be fiscally conservative and socialy moderate. I like to make sure that I can take care of me and mine during good times and bad times. I keep a savings so if times are bad I do not have to rely on social services or others hand outs.
    I harken for a simpler time, say "little house on the prarie" days. it would be a dream to me to live like that, with modern creature comforts, sattelite tv and computers of course!

I am a Libertarian.
    I do not like goverment intruding into my business.

I am compationate as well, and give to charities as I see fit, and of my own chosing as to reflect what values I hold dear. I help others when they need help. all this I do as long as my own family is not suffering because of it.

so am I your typycal American javvy? is this what your talking about?

Re: My take on American Values

Originally posted by jayyy

does that about sum it up?
    No, but the greatest country in the world does.

Re: Re: My take on American Values

Originally posted by Roody

Amen

Re: Re: My take on American Values

Originally posted by Roody
    And what makes the U.S. the greatest country in the world? We are no better than anybody else. It's just those type of comments and attitudes like that p!ss people off in other countries.

My 2 Cents:

Sav

Re: Re: Re: My take on American Values

Originally posted by SavageHrt
    And what makes the U.S. the greatest country in the world? We are no better than anybody else. It's just those type of comments and attitudes like that p!ss people off in other countries.

My 2 Cents:

Sav
    I think more people laugh than get pissed off at that type of comment. I know I do.

Re: Re: Re: Re: My take on American Values

Originally posted by Norm
    I think more people laugh than get pissed off at that type of comment. I know I do.
    And we laugh at....I mean....with you...

Re: Re: Re: My take on American Values

My 2 Cents:

Sav
    ask all the millions of immigrants that try to get into this country illegally every year.

I dont see that happenining in many other countries

only time people try to get out of the US is when they just robbed a bank or did some highly illegal crime that will land them in jail for 20 years +

ask all the millions of immigrants that try to get into this country illegally every year.

I dont see that happenining in many other countries
    Your not aware that there is an influx of immigrants to Canada?
    The tools of conquest do not necessarily come with bombs and explosions and fallout. There are weapons that are simply thoughts, attitudes, and prejudices to be found only in the minds of men. For the record, prejudices can kill and suspicion can destroy and a thoughtless, frightened search for a scapegoat has a fallout all of its own for the children and the children yet unborn and the pity of it is that these things cannot be confined to the Twilight Zone.

That's quite possible, Norm and I commend you for that. However, those type of comments in my opinion, just make the U.S. look foolish.

Sav

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: My take on American Values

Originally posted by downhill
    Your not aware that there is an influx of immigrants to Canada?
    must be going for the free health care =)

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: My take on American Values

That's quite possible, Norm and I commend you for that. However, those type of comments in my opinion, just make the U.S. look foolish.

Sav
    Maybe so in some eyes, but when you give it some thought..... most people will say their country is the best.

Nothing to get pissed about, and nothing to feel ashamed of.

disabled account
    Originally posted by YeOldeStonecat
    I don't think anyone can ever come up with anything that says "average American".

America is waaaay too widespread in varied cultures and histories and geographical areas. You can travel to at least a half dozen major locations in the States and feel like each one is a different country.

You could get as many different answers as there are as people who attempt to seriously answer your question.
    A fine post.

I would like to add two points.

America has been saddled with a two party system for many decades. For this reason, we seem as though our concerns are monochromatic. Not every soul is so simple.
    I have also seen generalizations regarding Americans based our entertainment/news media. Part of the resent I share with YOSC is the vapid uniformity that chains and conglomerate broadcasts. It should be apparent, at least from this site that we do not all think the same.

shant,
    david
    I want to learn more and more to see as beautiful what is necessary in things; then I shall be one of those who make things beautiful. Amor fati: let that be my love henceforth! I do not want to wage war against what is ugly. I do not want to accuse; I do not even want to accuse those who accuse. Looking away shall be my only negation. And all in all and on the whole: some day I wish to be only a Yes-sayer.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: My take on American Values

must be going for the free health care =)
    I read a lot of your threads and have come to the conclusion you really don't know much about what you post about.

Health care in Canada has NEVER been free.

yes, yes they do.....

oh well

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: My take on American Values

I read a lot of your threads and have come to the conclusion you really don't know much about what you post about.

I never said that it was a joke some guy from canada said that in another thread how canada health system is superb comapred to US

that is why i put the =) to refer as a joke lol

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: My take on American Values

AMEN!

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Abbey
    A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government.