Thread: Simple Tips For Asking For Help

Smile Simple Tips For Asking For Help

Here are some tips and suggestions to people when asking for help.

1. When asking for help remember that YOU are the one in need of help and that we are here to help you, so help us help you.

2. When asked to read something PLEASE read it CAREFULLY and COMPLETELY.

3. When asked to do something such as update your drivers or firmware or scan for spyware with BOTH Ad Aware & SpyBot PLEASE do so, there is a method to our madness.

4. When asked a question please answer in complete sentences and fully answer the question i.e. How is your speed now? (reply) not good - sorry but that tells us NOTHING, post a speed test from where WE recommend.

5. PLEASE stick to one thread when inquiring about the same connection or problem, DO NOT start a new thread for every question, it is VERY difficult to help someone when you have to search for their other threads to find the answers you need..... as I said in #1, YOU are the one asking for help so help us help you.

6. We are human too and make mistakes but remember that we are here to help you out of the goodness of our heart, WE DO NOT GET PAID FOR THIS. We are experienced and know what we are doing, we will not intentionally mislead you or give you bad advice.

7. Please post back letting us know if what we recommended helped or remedied the problem so that we know for future references.

8. You CANNOT tweak your latency (ping) for gaming so don't even ask.

9. The TCP/IP Analyzer is NOT a speed test, I repeat NOT a speed test. It ONLY shows you your current TCP/IP registry settings - that is ALL it does.

10. If you are using AOHELL don't bother asking for help, you CANNOT tweak AOHELL, it will also screw up your pc.

I will most likely add on to this as needed, it is not to point fingers at anyone, it is to make helping out one another simple and easy.

Thank you,

mnosteele52

Last edited by mnosteele52; 09-22-03 at 01:14 PM.

fem the retarded rabbit mccoffee's Avatar
    Well put superman. There is a couple of things i have to add to that. You can't not tweak ping or online gamming I've been running into this question alot lately. Ping is control by Isp/internet traffic. If you have a router please setup the manual ips it's not that hard really. http://www.speedguide.net/read_articles.php?id=177

6. We are human too and make mistakes but remember that we are here to help you out of the goodness of our heart, WE DO NOT GET PAID FOR THIS. We are experienced and know what we are doing, we will not intentionally mislead you or give you bad advice. Some connections we give decent rwin at first pop other times its trial and error . Alot of people that said well that didn't do anything well as to what i said about ping latency is really sent out from Isp so you can not do anything about it.

One last rant people have been trying cablenut or speed guide patches said that it screwed up there computer those settings only touch the tcpip parameters that's it there is no way that adding those tweaks/patches will crash your computer. Regedit export registry file in a safe place b4 any tweaks.
    Comptia a+ n+

for me, u can make ( i think) u can make games more laggy by putting worse settings, therefore haveing bad pings ( due to packet losses) but u cant get it better than it is already
    Internet: Comcast Cable 8000/768

PC: 3.2GHz w/HT Pentium 4, 2GB PC3200 Corsair 2-2-2-5 XMS, ASUS P4C800 Deluxe, NVIDIA Geforce 6800 Ultra 256MB,Four 72 GB Western Digital 10,000 Raptors in RAID 0, Lacie 1600GB External Hard Drive, Antec Super Lanboy Case,22 inch Sony CRT, Logitech G15 Gaming Keyboard, Logitech MX1000 lazer mouse and Logitech G5 lazer mouse, Creative 5.1 THX Z-5500. ATI HDTV Wonder TV Tuner.

Originally posted by Aznboy
    for me, u can make ( i think) u can make games more laggy by putting worse settings, therefore haveing bad pings ( due to packet losses) but u cant get it better than it is already
    Nope, tweaking does not effect latency at all.

Aznboy That's another one i'm sick of how many times do we have to say that Ping is control buy isp / line or how many people are on the game server you cannot set some software to lower ping. Aznboy also show me any white paper or technical document that saids rwin has anything to do with ping any I'll read and take in consideration. Packet loss rofl the only way you could get packet loss if you have an rwin of 99999 or really high number thats about it. Show me any paper or doucamation about either of the two Please.
    Comptia a+ n+

One side note Ping is really part of another protocol called icmp http://www.ping127001.com/pingpage.htm so have tweaks installed doesn't involed ping. The tweaks hit tcpip not icmp.
    Comptia a+ n+

Blog Entries
    Some people mean RTT/lag/latency/delay when they say ping... Blame Quake, lol.

bumpty bump bump
    Comptia a+ n+

Regular Member TeenInternetAddict's Avatar
    Good job, Mnosteele52. I have to stuff to add

Which is faster, cable or DSL?

Ok, cable is faster and capped higher than DSL depending on the cable company(and what they're capped at), and if the cable ISP overload the node you're on or their network, your speeds will be slow. For DSL, it depends a lot on the ISP's network, the quality of your phone lines, and how far you are from the CO. The farest you live from the CO, the slower your speeds will be. And, of course, if your ISP overloaded their network, your speeds will be slow. Overloaded means the ISP add lots of subscribers and won't upgrade their networks to handle the load.

Can I tweak America Online(AOL) and CompuServe?

The answer to that question is no. It's because AOL and CompuServe uses a seperate TCP/IP stack and proxy servers than other ISPs, so it's impossible to tweak Compuserve and AOL. My answer is if you want a real dialup connection that requires the use of a real TCP/IP stack and no proxy servers, find another ISP and cancel AOL/Compuserve. AOL and CompuServe are like viruses and you're limited to what you can do on the Internet. Also you can mess up your computer if you tweak AOL or CompuServe.

How come I'm getting high latency?

If you're getting high latency, go to Start, Run, type in command(windows 9x/ME) or cmd(Windows XP/2000/NT) and when a DOS prompt comes up, type in tracert www.speedguide.net and see where's the high latency is coming from. If it's happening on the inside of the ISP's network, contact your ISP's tech support. If it's outside the ISP's network, there's not much you can do, except to contact who own the problem router and see about getting it fixed. High latency problems may be because of high Internet traffic, routers, servers, overloaded network, etc.

That's all I can think of.

Please listen to what we are saying so many people do not take the time to read carefully what needs to be done. There are 4 stickeys on top that will provide you with most of the information you are looking for. Also if you are asking for help please comply to what has been given.
    Comptia a+ n+

Blog Entries
    One note on #9 Steele... The TCP Analyzer does not read the user registry. It is a type of server, and when the user connects to that Analyzer server the TCP packets are analyzed, and packet information is extracted from the actual packet headers. In other words, it reads the actual information that passes through, regardless of what's in the user registry.