Thread: Diving course- any advice?

Diving course- any advice?

I'm going to phuket next week, which is famous for its diving spots, and I've heard I can get courses and certification for about 200 bucks. A girl from japan is coming down to visit, so I thought it could be a good thing to do during the day.

My only concern is that itll take up most of our ten days together just going through basic routines. Will it only be a couple days before we're discovering the wonders of the deep, or will we wind up spending our whole vacation getting timed trying to do 180 turns in a kiddie pool?

Even if we're not pros in a couple days, will that be enough training to start going out with a guide and start enjoying it?

i got my certification at Koh Chang island. It took 5 days total, one afternoon of reviewing with the instructor after reading the PADI book and then 4 days of open-water training. and it was all out in the gulf (no pool training). I'd be sure you go and try to arrange it beforehand because it took a few days before we could get started.

It is a pretty grueling 4 days, don't plan on too much partying while your taking the course...once you're done however there are many dive operators all around Thailand that you can hire out for day trips where its a cake walk, they do all the hard work for you, all you do is dive.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Abbey
    A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government.

5 days isn't too bad. Might as well get it out of the way while I have the time! Depends if my friend wants to deal with it. She should, getting certified in japan costs something like 15 or twenty times that.

Avoid rocks

Originally posted by Roody
    Avoid rocks
    LOL, that sounds like a good idea! I've gotta write this stuff down...

take ur time putting, be sure to line up the ball with the hole

My~Rig
    |Athlon 64 X2 3800+ Toledo 2.0GHz @ 2.5Ghz||ASROCK 939Dual-SATA2||OCZ Platinum 2GB (2 x 1GB) PC3200|ZALMAN 120MM CNPS7700-CU|
    |ATI XT 1600 PRO|CSB SB0570 Audigy SE 7.1||WD SE16 SATA 320GB HD|Hitachi SATA 160GB HD|Thermaltake TR2 W0070 ATX 430W Power Supply |WIN 7 Ultimate| (College Budget)

Re: Diving course- any advice?

Originally posted by jayyy
    phuket

that's my motto
    My son ... ask for thyself another internet connection, for that which I leave is too slow for thee

I did my PADI Open Water Cert. in Queensland, Aus. To start with you need to get a medical certificate to say that you are fit to dive. Then, you get the book and read it before starting the course. There were then 5 days of classroom in the morning, couple of hours in a special, very deep pool in the afternoon, with an hour or two of reviews after that. End of that there is a theory exam. 2 open water dives to practice some more stuff that was that.

The only people who didn't make it in my class were a couple of gits who never bothered reading the book, and took all the instructors comments with a pinch of salt.

I've never done it myself, but just a couple of general thoughts:

1) Try to get ahold of the folks you are wanting to train with and find out EVERYTHING you need to do it. Getting there without a document could ruin the whole thing.

2) See if there is anything you can do/buy/read at home before you go. If you need some of the gear, it may be cheaper to buy on the net beforehand.

3) Look up some of the outfitters there and see what you need to bring or if they supply EVERYTHING. I'm talking about goggles, fins, snorkel, etc. This just goes back to #2. If you have to buy it there, you *may* pay an arm and a leg.

Good luck and have fun !!!

You may not need a medical certificate, it depends. I had to get one because I had disclosed the fact that I had Asthma (even though it wasn't really an issue). I just had to go to a doctor at the hospital on the island and get a ccertificate, cost me a few hundred baht, and the dive shop owner loaned me his scooter so I could go get the certificate. My GF however didn't need a cert.

Any reputable dive shop should have ALL the gear you need, thats standard. You may want to pick up the PADI book and a dive table beforehand and read it (its an easy read, can do it in a day) so you can do your classroom stuff (we did ours at an open-air cafe on the beach, had lunch and drinks with the instructor afterwards) and then just take the test right away.

Like I said, we were on a remote island, there weren't any pools anywhere so we did our first two "dives" where you learn about breathing, clearing your mask, equalizing, the CESA and other fundamentals, on the beach in about 6 feet of water.

If the operation is aat all modernized(which it should be in Phuket) you will most likely dive off a speed-boat (if its a bigger school which it may be you'll go off a big dive boat). Its a great ti me and depending on the conditions, Phuket has some amazing diving. Once you're certified you should arrange a trip out ti the Similan Islands, should cost about $80 per person for a full-day trip tha includes lunch and 2 dives and gear. That place is just amazing!!

most importantly, remember to RELAX and HAVE FUN!!!!!

oh yeah, and watch out for TriggerFish!!!

Certified SG Addict
    Don't drown.

Thanks everybody! Right now its up to my girl. I meant it as just sort of an activity, but from the sound of it its a real commitment. But if she's not interested and wants to stick to snorkelling I'll just do it myself later this year.

Originally posted by in2deep
    I did my PADI Open Water Cert. in Queensland, Aus.
    Where in Queensland?
    Cairns... Townsville... Mackay???

Why didn't you call me??

Good luck Jayyy.
    Follow Blisster's advice.
    Most importantly, remember to RELAX and HAVE FUN!!!!!
    That way the course will be a breeze for both of you.

BTW, a mate I worked with for 11 years is now living in Phuket, teaching English and having a ball. He used to go there every year on holidays.

Small world.

Croc.
    Croc.
    It will be long, it will be hard and there will be no withdrawal.
    Winston Churchill
    Remember: Wherever you go in life, you take yourself with you.

Originally posted by Croc

BTW, a mate I worked with for 11 years is now living in Phuket, teaching English and having a ball.
    Thats my plan...right now I'm travelling around thailand, trying to figure out where I want to live and look for a job. Haven't been to the south yet, but I hear its lovely.

>>> CESA and other fundamentals, on the beach in about 6 feet of water.

How can you practice a CESA in 6 feet of water?

>>> Where in Queensland?

ProDive at Airlie Beach. Training dives at the inner reef. Was then out of a big live aboard for a week round the WhitSundays. Great.

Originally posted by in2deep
    >>> CESA and other fundamentals, on the beach in about 6 feet of water.

How can you practice a CESA in 6 feet of water?

I actually said that this is where we learned the CESA. We were just kneeling on the sea floor going through the motions. then we did it going horizontal for about 10 meters with our instructor and a dive-master in training watching us. On our first open-water dive we did the CESA for real at the end of the dive

>>> did the CESA for real at the end of the dive

Fair enough, not clear from your earlier post.