Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AVG gets thumbs down!

AVG gets thumbs down!

http://www.software-antivirus.com/pr...us-review.html

I know a LOT of poeple here use this, so you might all find this an interesting read. Decided to post this here because so many folks use it that might not see this in the software forum.

Recommended:
    1. Kaspersky Antivirus
    2. Panda Antivirus
    3. NOD32
    4. Command Antivirus
    5. McAfee VirusScan O.

Also recommended:
    F-Prot for DOS (FREE)

Not quite there:
    F-Secure
    PC-cillin 2002

Stay away:
    AVG
    eTrust EZ
    McAfee VS Pro
    Norman Virus Control
    Norton 2003
    Sophos

Major flaws - AVG Antivirus:
    Terrible virus detection rate
    Doesn't update their virus definition files very often (monthly intervals, should be twice a week)
    Deletes infected files without warning. This is especially bad if the file didn't contain a virus after all (a false positive).
    Very low on scripts, backdoors and trojans.

i have to disagree with every one of these:

Cons:
    Comes only with a basic (automated) interface without the possibility to adjust any settings - it does its job doesnt it?
    Doesn't check for double infected files - whats this mean?
    Some users have had freezes and other major stability issues on Windows 2000 and XP - i havent
    Slows down your computer considerably - [i]ive found this to be one of the fastest AV programs out there
    Inserts ads in your email messages. - this is very easy to turn off
    You need to use DOS commands for some advanced operations. - ive never needed to or even know what this means
    Log file displays limited info - never even use the log file
    You can't see anything in systray, so you don't know if it's running or not - umm... i have something in my sys tray...
    Originally posted by UnitedWeStand Don't go walking up to her and say "I just had a vasectomy wanna celebrate?
    Originally posted by EvilAngel Actually Kitten just got the sonagram done and the doc thought it was twins at first, but soon realized that it was the boys pen1s laying next to him....lol
    Said by XSeanX on AIM I wish girls were a lot easier
    Originally posted by Needlefreak May the fleas of a thousand taliban camels feast happily on your lower region..
    Originally posted by Jim Heart attack on a bun?

Originally posted by TEH WIN

Read the rest of the article and it explains that.

I agree it seems faster then Norton's, but I think ANYTHING seems faster then Norton's

Assembly Required
    It says of AVG....

"only an option for those with absolutely no money"

ROTFLMAO! That's funny.

I guess virus protection is like most other things in life, you get what you pay for.

AVG rocks...for the average joe, no need to panic because they all suck in the end...

The altimate Anti-Virus is.....................................don't touch the power switch!

I have to say I disagree with a lot of stuff in that article. Somehow I wonder how credible they are.
    In my recent virus workings Ive found that norton stopped them all and machines with Mcaffee they got thru quite quickly?
    Sorry but Ill stick with NAV2003

I've used Norton since I first got a computer. It has never let me down. I'm nearing the point now where I need to upgrade the engine and renew virus definition subscription, which is pointing me to AVG until I can do what I want to do.

I pretty much disagree with everything they have in their ordered list.

Ah now this explains everything:

Antivirus Software Best Buy Reviews
    Who we are
    We who have set up this website are a few experienced computer users from Europe who are tired of the misconception that:

internet users are fully protected once they’ve installed antivirus software
    the top selling products offer the best protection
    Both conceptions are wrong. Antivirus software has to be updated at least weekly to offer any decent protection. And the top selling products, like Norton, does not offer the best protection, but they are easy to use, and they are usually heavily marketed.
    We often find antivirus reviews by computer magazines to be skewed, focusing to much on ease of use and not enough on virus protection. If you are interested in learning more, there is a good thread discussing these issues at the DSLreports.com forums, available at the following url:
    CNET Anti Virus Testing Questioned

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Quite an opposite view from most reviews, a few things I disagree with, but I'm looking more on a corporate level, not for the individual average joe user. And it is good to see all sides of the coin. Example being...Symantec works flawlessly on nice clean systems with standard applications, but as soon as we throw in "freeware"...Symantec starts to have problems. Well, I say "as soon as you start to throw in freeware...your entire system will start having issue."

Why is the reviewer so focused on disk space used? Who cares if one only uses 11 megs and another uses 81 megs? I doubt most of us here are still trying to cram our OS and software onto 1.2 gig or 2.1 gig HDs anymore. These are the days of mega sized HD's so we don't have these worries anymore.

I don't use AVG, but a few things they stated about it surprised me.

1) "Inserts ads in your email messages."...that's bad in my opinion. Pretty much makes it adware.
    2) "Doesn't update their virus definition files very often (monthly intervals, should be twice a week)" Now I see why peeps post AVG updates on this forum....because if you want to keep at least somewhat updated...you have to manually update. I prefer an antivirus that I can have check for updates as often as I want...like I have mine (Symantec Corp Edition) check every morning..daily, before I wake up.
    3) "Deletes infected files without warning. This is especially bad if the file didn't contain a virus after all (a false positive)." That's bad in my book. I want a chance to be able to clean the file, especially if it's a %system% file.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Originally posted by TEH WIN

Cons:
    Comes only with a basic (automated) interface without the possibility to adjust any settings - it does its job doesnt it?
    Some users have had freezes and other major stability issues on Windows 2000 and XP - i havent
    Slows down your computer considerably - [i]ive found this to be one of the fastest AV programs out there
    Inserts ads in your email messages. - this is very easy to turn off
    You need to use DOS commands for some advanced operations. - ive never needed to or even know what this means
    You can't see anything in systray, so you don't know if it's running or not - umm... i have something in my sys tray...
    Let's see.. #1 is bad because, say, I'm playing a game and I want to turn of hurestics or some other processor-intensive feature of the AV. I can't. Not good.

#2 - If I download a .zip file, I wanna know if something inside is infected. AVG failed that test with the EICAR test virus, and I don't even think that's the same issue as this.

#3 - Kills my system. Kills. So I can agree here.

#4 - *nods*.

#5 - Urghhh.. Ad-ware, bad bad bad bad bad bad bad..

#6 - Now, this I disagree with. DOS commands are very useful, and much more powerful than a GUI sometimes.

#7 - Logfiles should be able to be set to show all the relevant information if one desires (see: Avast! Antivirus 4). Just not cool if a program hides things from me.

#8 - Huh? I see systray icon, or did.

Good review, thanks.

maybe i have a different version but ive never recieved any "ads" from them in my email...and as far as deleting anything..it always asks me what i want to do with it...or maybe im confused...i dont know all i know is it works for me. it has stopped bug bear and some other ones from getting me.

Cons:

Slows down your computer considerably - ive found this to be one of the fastest AV programs out there
    Inserts ads in your email messages. - [i]this is very easy to turn off

FIXED:
    The altimate Anti-Virus is.....................................Abstinence!
    Every normal man must be tempted at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
    I often wonder if the voices in my head ever get frustrated because I'm just too damn lazy to climb that clock tower.
    Click image to enlarge
    click image to view full version

Any review that recommends McAfee is a joke.

Help & Tips broadbandnuts.com - CableNut Tcp/Ip Analyzer TCPOptimizer drtweak.com - Dr Tweak

SG Elite
    Seems like more of an attempt to debunk the community at large than an in-depth professional review IMO.

I use a combo of AVG Pro and Norton 2003. Never a problem.

I don't load them at startup or let them run in the background, though...the performance hit is why most people gripe about them I think. I just use them once a week and practice safe web usage.

Originally posted by mnosteele52
    Any review that recommends McAfee is a joke.

Here is a list of the latest product certifications. If you guys can argue with it, then I don't know what to say. These are Certified for the jobs they do.

http://www.icsalabs.com/html/communi...certprod.shtml

Certified products for cleaning infections:
    http://www.icsalabs.com/html/communi...certprod.shtml

Sounds like the review was written by the typical newb and directed at the gullible.
    He probably tested AVG on a Win ME machine infected with AOL lol

All lies.

Ads in email? NO. There is an email plugin (if you use it) that states that the email was scanned by AVG and is virus free. With a link to grisoft. That's about it.

Systray icon?, YES there is.

I could go on about every point made, but obviously who ever wrote this review is a mentally challenged newb who neglected to read, or comprehend, the program's entire abilities.

I see it all the time from newbs.

Kaspersky Antivirus Personal being sold by an "independent" reveiwer...Hmmm...Something just ain't right about that, wish I could put my finger on it.
    Null

I , even when I used Nortons, did updates , as a rythm to the routine, not as a install it , and let it run as it may feel.
    I check for Updates ...Manually , on all I have installed. Just to keep up with current situations.
    I do this , same as I do my email. everyday. So far , it must have saved me a few times. as I see alot whining about being hit with viruses & worms ( friends in my sims ) . Being the internet addict I am... this routine , is as essential as wiping both cheeks , if ya catch my drift.
    nothing like my Virtual Spitfire Mk IXc and a few wingmen to cover my 6 !

i like housecall from trend micro

isnt Norton anygood?

Been using it for years

My~Rig
    |Athlon 64 X2 3800+ Toledo 2.0GHz @ 2.5Ghz||ASROCK 939Dual-SATA2||OCZ Platinum 2GB (2 x 1GB) PC3200|ZALMAN 120MM CNPS7700-CU|
    |ATI XT 1600 PRO|CSB SB0570 Audigy SE 7.1||WD SE16 SATA 320GB HD|Hitachi SATA 160GB HD|Thermaltake TR2 W0070 ATX 430W Power Supply |WIN 7 Ultimate| (College Budget)