Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I am upgrading my primary system: Old specs vs. New specs

I am upgrading my primary system: Old specs vs. New specs

It is time to upgrade my primary system. It has been one year now with no major upgrades (except for the vid card) over the span of that year.

It is going to take me about a month to get all the parts as I am only buying what I can afford when I afford it. But I have a plan. Check it.

First current specs:

Cheiftec Black Server case with window and fan http://www.newegg.com/app/Showimage....125-221-06.JPG

Abit BD7-II RAID i845 http://www.abit-usa.com/products/mb/...ies=1&model=35

Enermax 431w PSU http://www.newegg.com/app/Showimage....103-419-10.JPG

P4 2.4Ghz 533Mhz FSB overclocked at 150Mhz FSB for 2.7Ghz

Corsair XMS 1GB DDR running at 150 Mhz

2x WD 80GB 7200RPM 8MB Cache hard drives in RAID 0

Philips 706 Acoustic Edge 5.1 sound card http://www.pcsound.philips.com/_acoustic706.html

3Com 3c905-tx-nm

Lite-On DVD ROM drive

Lite-On 40x CDRW

Currently there is a 5900 Ultra in here

And here will be my new Primary System:

Kingwin KT-436BK-WM http://www.frozencpu.com/cgi-bin/frozencpu/cst-23.html I bought the last one they had in too, these things are RARE AND HARD TO FIND now. When I bought my first one a year ago for quakecon it was on newegg, now they are NO WHERE. They had only ONE left here, thankfully I got it, yay. Its an awesome case really and worth the money, its the best case i've ever had. I should have it sometime this week.

Dual Cold Cathode UV lights with switches also from Frozen CPU.

Vantec VAN-520A 520w Black Aluminum 3 fan PSU - http://www.newegg.com/app/Showimage....103-473-04.JPG I've read reviews, they say its REALLy quite, and of course light since its aluminum. Plus it is black, which the whole inside of my case is so it will definitely look stealthy.

Epox 4PCA3+ i875p mobo - I have our review unit board that we reviewed here: http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NDk3 I used it at quakecon and its great, very fast, good overclocker, supports a LOT of IDE devices since it has 4 friggin RAID ATA/133 ports plus SATA and the on board Intel IDE. Also has gigabit ethernet, on board audio, the whole thing is GOOD and FAST.

P4 2.4C 800Mhz FSB which I will overclock to a nice safe stable overclock to 3Ghz on a 1Ghz FSB. I already have this CPU.

Corsair XMS 1.5GB DCDDR400 (actually it will be even faster since i'm overclocking the fsb). Right now I have 1 512MB PC3500 stick and two 256MB modules of PC3500. So all I need is one more 512MB PC3500 module and I can fill all the slots in the Epox mobo for a total of 1.5GB of RAM.

1x WD Raptor 36GB 10,000 RPM 8MB cache SATA for OS, system stuff, and Virtual Memory.

2x WD 80GB 7200RPM 8MB Cache in RAID 0. The two 80gig drives I have now will be used for my application drive where I will install all the applications/games/proggies I use for stuff.

I'll use the on board NIC.

M-Audio Revolution Sound Card.

Lite-On DVD Rom

Lite on 40x CDRW (both of which are already black)

And I'll put in one of my 9800 Pro's for the vid card, and oc it of course

And I will still have my dual monitor setup with the two NEC 19" monitors I have.

So that will be my new primary system, I can't wait to get all this together, its a major upgrade from what I had and I will be installing everything from fresh, nice clean format, which I haven' done in a year. It will feel really really good.

I'll take pics as I build it, nice and clean.
    Last edited by Brent; 09-03-03 at 08:50 PM.
    "Would you mind not standing on my chest, my hats on fire." - The Doctor

disabled account
    Nice motherboard. Pity they did not implement RAID 5..... <dream>

Are you using a 9800pro?

shant,
    david
    I want to learn more and more to see as beautiful what is necessary in things; then I shall be one of those who make things beautiful. Amor fati: let that be my love henceforth! I do not want to wage war against what is ugly. I do not want to accuse; I do not even want to accuse those who accuse. Looking away shall be my only negation. And all in all and on the whole: some day I wish to be only a Yes-sayer.

Originally posted by nepenthe
    Nice motherboard. Pity they did not implement RAID 5..... <dream>

Are you using a 9800pro?

shant,
    david
    i will be when i build that system

right now i'm using a 5900 ultra

but before that i was using a 9700 pro

Folding with AMD POWER Loonatic's Avatar
    Not too bad of an upgrade, but you're not gaining much. 300mhz thats it
    Pain is weakness leaving the body.

Originally posted by Loonatic
    Not too bad of an upgrade, but you're not gaining much. 300mhz thats it
    300Mhz higher CPU speed

400Mhz higher FSB

And going from 2GB/sec of mem bandwidth to 5.8MB/sec of mem bandwidth (going from ddr266 to dcddr400 and actually even higher since i am oc'ing) and adding 512MB more ram

going from i845 to i875p top end chipset

Faster HDD access since I will have a Raptor for OS/VM and then the RAID 0 for Applications

And a better vid card, 9800 Pro

all around it is going to be much snappier and faster in games, top of the line system really

Why not a P4C?
    Respect it.

Originally posted by agentbeast
    Why not a P4C?
    Good question. You'll need to run 3:2 to get that Ram up.

Why not a P4C?
    actually READ my post next time

P4 2.4C 800Mhz FSB which I will overclock to a nice safe stable overclock to 3Ghz on a 1Ghz FSB. I already have this CPU.

Mississauga, Ontario , Canada. Behaviour : Good
    With all that charm brent, I don't know how you aren't a ladies man.

Anywho, looks good. I also hear that 9800 pro is coming with hl2 packaged when it comes out. Is that true?

Originally posted by Immortal
    With all that charm brent, I don't know how you aren't a ladies man.

Anywho, looks good. I also hear that 9800 pro is coming with hl2 packaged when it comes out. Is that true?
    9800 pro is already out, it came out in March of this year: http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NDM5

half life 2 is not out yet

Mississauga, Ontario , Canada. Behaviour : Good
    Originally posted by Brent
    9800 pro is already out, half life 2 is not
    Read my post!

I'm saying that 9800 pro will package hl2 when it comes out. It refereing to the latter part of the sentence. HL2!

Yah see, people can miss something even after they've read it.

Originally posted by Immortal
    Read my post!

I'm saying that 9800 pro will package hl2 when it comes out. It refereing to the latter part of the sentence. HL2!

Yah see, people can miss something even after they've read it.
    9800 pro is already out, how can they package the game with it when its already on shelves

don't believe every rumor you hear, rumor is rumor

i didn't miss anything, what you were asking doesn't make sense

BOLD Text is useful in seperating different sections.
    Respect it.

9800 pro is already out, how can they package the game with it when its already on shelves

I don't know how can they package games with the Playstation 2 when it's been out for 2 years.
    Respect it.

BOLD Text is useful in seperating different sections.
    what?

I don't know how can they package games with the Playstation 2 when it's been out for 2 years.
    i don't know, i'm not a console guy

Re: I am upgrading my primary system: Old specs vs. New specs

What?
    Like this

It is time to upgrade my primary system. It has been one year now with no major upgrades (except for the vid card) over the span of that year.

It is going to take me about a month to get all the parts as I am only buying what I can afford when I afford it. But I have a plan. Check it.

[Size=huge]First current specs:[/Size]

Cheiftec Black Server case with window and fan http://www.newegg.com/app/Showimage....125-221-06.JPG

Abit BD7-II RAID i845 http://www.abit-usa.com/products/mb/...ies=1&model=35

Enermax 431w PSU http://www.newegg.com/app/Showimage....103-419-10.JPG

P4 2.4Ghz 533Mhz FSB overclocked at 150Mhz FSB for 2.7Ghz

Corsair XMS 1GB DDR running at 150 Mhz

2x WD 80GB 7200RPM 8MB Cache hard drives in RAID 0

Philips 706 Acoustic Edge 5.1 sound card http://www.pcsound.philips.com/_acoustic706.html

3Com 3c905-tx-nm

Lite-On DVD ROM drive

Lite-On 40x CDRW

Currently there is a 5900 Ultra in here

[Size=huge]And here will be my new Primary System:[/size]

Kingwin KT-436BK-WM http://www.frozencpu.com/cgi-bin/frozencpu/cst-23.html I bought the last one they had in too, these things are RARE AND HARD TO FIND now. When I bought my first one a year ago for quakecon it was on newegg, now they are NO WHERE. They had only ONE left here, thankfully I got it, yay. Its an awesome case really and worth the money, its the best case i've ever had. I should have it sometime this week.

Dual Cold Cathode UV lights with switches also from Frozen CPU.

Vantec VAN-520A 520w Black Aluminum 3 fan PSU - http://www.newegg.com/app/Showimage....103-473-04.JPG I've read reviews, they say its REALLy quite, and of course light since its aluminum. Plus it is black, which the whole inside of my case is so it will definitely look stealthy.

Epox 4PCA3+ i875p mobo - I have our review unit board that we reviewed here: http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NDk3 I used it at quakecon and its great, very fast, good overclocker, supports a LOT of IDE devices since it has 4 friggin RAID ATA/133 ports plus SATA and the on board Intel IDE. Also has gigabit ethernet, on board audio, the whole thing is GOOD and FAST.

Corsair XMS 1.5GB DCDDR400 (actually it will be even faster since i'm overclocking the fsb). Right now I have 1 512MB PC3500 stick and two 256MB modules of PC3500. So all I need is one more 512MB PC3500 module and I can fill all the slots in the Epox mobo for a total of 1.5GB of RAM.

1x WD Raptor 36GB 10,000 RPM 8MB cache SATA for OS, system stuff, and Virtual Memory.

2x WD 80GB 7200RPM 8MB Cache in RAID 0. The two 80gig drives I have now will be used for my application drive where I will install all the applications/games/proggies I use for stuff.

I'll use the on board NIC.

M-Audio Revolution Sound Card.

Lite-On DVD Rom

Lite on 40x CDRW (both of which are already black)

And I'll put in one of my 9800 Pro's for the vid card, and oc it of course

And I will still have my dual monitor setup with the two NEC 19" monitors I have.

So that will be my new primary system, I can't wait to get all this together, its a major upgrade from what I had and I will be installing everything from fresh, nice clean format, which I haven' done in a year. It will feel really really good.

I'll take pics as I build it, nice and clean.
    Respect it.

Re: Re: I am upgrading my primary system: Old specs vs. New specs

Like this
    so you are saying that because i did not have it bolded you could not read it ?

dude, come on

sure, bolding could have helped, but for cryin out loud even without it you can still READ IT AND UNDERSTAND IT

don't blame me (not bolding it) for a mistake you made in not reading my post and seeing I said I have a P4 2.4C already

just admit you made a mistake (not reading it all the way) instead of blaming others

i don't know, i'm not a console guy

The fact is they can pretty much do whatever they want irreguardless of how long a product has been out. If it's going to move more Product I'm sure ATI will go for it. That being said I don't know anything about whether or not they actually are going to have any sort of packaging agreement with HL2 and any ATI product.
    Respect it.

Re: Re: Re: I am upgrading my primary system: Old specs vs. New specs

so you are saying that because i did not have it bolded you could not read it ?

dude, come on

sure, bolding could have helped, but for cryin out loud even without it you can still READ IT AND UNDERSTAND IT

don't blame me (not bolding it) for a mistake you made in not reading my post and seeing I said I have a P4 2.4C already

just admit you made a mistake (not reading it all the way) instead of blaming others

I'm not blaming anybody I'm just saying for future reference it might be helpful. And there is also no reason to be a prick about it.
    Respect it.