Thread: building comp. need verry quiet pc case

building comp. need verry quiet pc case

i am building a pc. i need to find a verry quiet case (can have the power supply in it already) that is still very cool.(around 30c for mb) also advice on a quiet cpu fan that can go over a 1800+ athlon ?

Certified SG Addict
    Case...Antec Sonata.

The stock AMD heatsink/fan is very quiet.

Also, look at the Antec SLK3700 AMB and Lite-on FS-020. Both are available at Newegg and use 120mm fans in and out. Put the fans on rheostats or a fan controller and you can have near silent bliss and still have good temps.
    Back on the attack!

Another vote for Antec SLK3700. Antec True Power PS is one of the quiestest.

Sonata's good but its front fan configuration can hamper the whole case cooling.

As for HS if you're not overclocking and assuming the 1800+ is a Tbred you can get by with AX7/SK7/SLK800 with L1A or SLK900 with 92mm L1A.

Certified SG Addict
    Originally posted by Tawcan
    Another vote for Antec SLK3700. Antec True Power PS is one of the quiestest.

Sonata's good but its front fan configuration can hamper the whole case cooling.

As for HS if you're not overclocking and assuming the 1800+ is a Tbred you can get by with AX7/SK7/SLK800 with L1A or SLK900 with 92mm L1A.
    Actually, the front fan does a very good job at drawing away the heat from the hard drives, and with anothwe 120mm at the back, that air doesn't have much time to linger and sit on the other components.

Originally posted by Burke
    Actually, the front fan does a very good job at drawing away the heat from the hard drives, and with anothwe 120mm at the back, that air doesn't have much time to linger and sit on the other components.
    I believe what Tawcan was refering to is that the front 120mm is placed towards the interior side of the harddrives pulling air off of them instead of on the front of the case blowing cooler, outside air across them. That makes the front 120mm fan less effective because it has a tendancy to recirculate interior air instead of constantly drawing more fresh, cool air into the case. With the Sonata, you're relying on the rear fan to draw air into and through the case than with other cases with the front fan mounted all the way to the front.

The Sonata is a nice case and has its advantages, but the SLK3700 has better airflow characteristics.

My .02
    Back on the attack!

Originally posted by lonewolfz28
    I believe what Tawcan was refering to is that the front 120mm is placed towards the interior side of the harddrives pulling air off of them instead of on the front of the case blowing cooler, outside air across them. That makes the front 120mm fan less effective because it has a tendancy to recirculate interior air instead of constantly drawing more fresh, cool air into the case. With the Sonata, you're relying on the rear fan to draw air into and through the case than with other cases with the front fan mounted all the way to the front.

The Sonata is a nice case and has its advantages, but the SLK3700 has better airflow characteristics.

My .02
    What he said.

If you take a look at Ars Technica someone over there did good multiple reviews on Sonata (intro, mod, just about everything). And one major issue he had with Sonata was the front intake.

Certified SG Addict
    Getting that worried about cooling is only for extreme overclockers.

It will do 99% of users just fine and they will replace their components long before heat kills them.

Folding Thunder
    Man I like this case!:

http://solidmercury.net/reviews/maca...ase_midi_1.php

Could be my next project

I really like how this guy modded his case.

http://www.silentpcreview.com/module...rtid=78&page=1

The intake mod looks really cool.

Folding Thunder
    WoW ! I really like that case!

thx for ur imnput so far... at circuitcity a sonata sell for 190$? is that good price. also for my cpu wut fan for an 1800+ amd? sometimes i overclock it to 2000+. but thas about it. and also it has to be a case that doesnt overheat the room. right now mine i have 2 intake fans and one outake fan on an old case. The case is around 32 c and the rooms is pretty cool but the cpu really overheats. wut fan that is really quiet for the cpu do u suggest. I wont pay for watercooling or freon cooling crazy stuff.

Originally posted by Aznboy
    thx for ur imnput so far... at circuitcity a sonata sell for 190$? is that good price. also for my cpu wut fan for an 1800+ amd? sometimes i overclock it to 2000+. but thas about it. and also it has to be a case that doesnt overheat the room. right now mine i have 2 intake fans and one outake fan on an old case. The case is around 32 c and the rooms is pretty cool but the cpu really overheats. wut fan that is really quiet for the cpu do u suggest. I wont pay for watercooling or freon cooling crazy stuff.
    Sonata for $190 US? That's way overpriced. Just checked a local computer store.... it's selling $149 Canadian.

AX7/SK7 with a H1A should be good enough.

Dang, that's Global-win YCC-61F1 territory as far as price. Where are you located? Newegg has them for $109

If you're in the lower 48 states you should have no prob getting it cheaper than that. The Antec SLK3700 AMB only runs $70 from the same source.
    Back on the attack!

sorry read the price wrong at the store. anyways, im kinda new to these cpu fans etc. cuz i usually make comps keeping the original cpu installed. could u tell me wut the fans are again? and where to get them? also, i got arctic silver cooling. that seems to be helping a bit but not that much. do u no of anybetter solution for cpu cooling? where can i get that one u were talking about (aX__)