Thread: any way to see if reported open ports are open you NAT router, or one of the clients?

any way to see if reported open ports are open you NAT router, or one of the clients?

long story short...... i have an older router (~2 years old) running in NAT/SUA mode. when i perform an online port scan, i get all the expected results (forwarded ports are open, all others are filtered). the router is accessible on the WAN side via telnet (for config/admin porposes) and FTP (for config data transfer/backup or firmware update), so those ports are open..... nothing out of the ordinary.

my question is... is there an easy way to see if the open port is open all the way to the system (i'm sure it;s not, but just for argument's sake)?
    "Today is a black day in the history of mankind."

- Leo Szilard

Well the client needs to be listening on ports, run netstat to show what ports your client is listening for. Basically if it's running the telnet service then yes it's listening on port 23 by default.

The router would also have for be forwarding to a specific IP / client machine.