Thread: FCC Chairman Warns of More Regulation

FCC Chairman Warns of More Regulation

And from the.."It really is an important issue" Dept.....comes this news flash....

Posted on Mon, Aug. 18, 2003

FCC Chairman Warns of More Regulation
    DAVID HO
    Associated Press

ASPEN, Colo. - FCC Chairman Michael Powell says his agency will examine the effects of concentration in media ownership this fall, a nod to critics of the FCC's rollback on restrictions for owning newspapers and TV and radio stations.

Powell's surprise announcement Monday came at an annual gathering of telecommunications executives.

He gave no details about what the Federal Communications Commission examination will entail, saying they will be provided Wednesday at a news conference in Washington.

"As much as I'm invested in the rules that we did ... I have an obligation as an expert adviser to make sure this is channeled into something constructive," Powell said. "There is a sentiment being expressed by the American public, a concern about the media, a concern about big media."

Read more -here-
    The tools of conquest do not necessarily come with bombs and explosions and fallout. There are weapons that are simply thoughts, attitudes, and prejudices to be found only in the minds of men. For the record, prejudices can kill and suspicion can destroy and a thoughtless, frightened search for a scapegoat has a fallout all of its own for the children and the children yet unborn and the pity of it is that these things cannot be confined to the Twilight Zone.

Re: FCC Chairman Warns of More Regulation

Originally posted by downhill
    And from the.."It really is an important issue" Dept.....comes this news flash....
    Don't you mean the "It really is an important issue that affects every one of us but most people won't give a damn about because it doesn't involve women, guns, or God?" department?

Hmm, interesting. I will wait to see what he is actually going to be looking for.

I wonder if it will actually affect anything whatever the study says. I think it would take some major foul up to get him to repeal the new laws, not just a general consolidating of media.

Re: Re: FCC Chairman Warns of More Regulation

Originally posted by Jim
    Don't you mean the "It really is an important issue that affects every one of us but most people won't give a damn about because it doesn't involve women, guns, or God?" department?

LOL.....

More.........

FCC Chief Asks Congress to Draft New Media Rules

ASPEN, Colo. (Reuters) - Federal Communications Commission Chairman Michael Powell on Monday asked U.S. lawmakers to draft new media ownership rules, instead of simply undoing recent rules that relaxed restrictions on ownership.

"If we're going to do this, let's pass real laws ... that give the commission more specific guidance about what we want, not just an anti-vote," Powell told reporters after speaking to the Progress & Freedom Foundation Aspen Summit.

Or......"I hate being second guessed and now lookie what happend...

Powell needs to stay while Marsha MacBride his chief of staff get ready to head out to green pastures for a job well done......Or....the "If you scratch my back, I'll scratch yours" syndrome....

http://reuters.com/financeNewsArticl...toryID=3296208

Of course the last is just a guess but who would really be supprised?
    The tools of conquest do not necessarily come with bombs and explosions and fallout. There are weapons that are simply thoughts, attitudes, and prejudices to be found only in the minds of men. For the record, prejudices can kill and suspicion can destroy and a thoughtless, frightened search for a scapegoat has a fallout all of its own for the children and the children yet unborn and the pity of it is that these things cannot be confined to the Twilight Zone.

Im sorry! I cant hear what you are trying to say!>>> i think the RIAA has impeded my ability to hear.

whats right whats wrong ? ..

time to dld another song

I was going to post a link to that thread, but the SG search results for "bullsh|t" were too numerous

sometimes you have to think outside the box to get inside the box .

Originally posted by Randy
    Im sorry! I cant hear what you are trying to say!>>> i think the RIAA has impeded my ability to hear.

whats right whats wrong ? ..

time to dld another song

LOL.......Your not using Kazza are you?

And the next list from the RIAA has Randy the Rodent on it...

Originally posted by downhill
    LOL.......Your not using Kazza are you?

And the next list from the RIAA has Randy the Rodent on it...
    hell no im not useing kazza

*barf* ( contenets of barf inlude yellow stomach acide kazza lite and a few hairballz and joey ramone)

I was going to post a link to that thread, but the SG search results for "bullsh|t" were too numerous

sometimes you have to think outside the box to get inside the box .

I thought the stories were interesting to say the least....

I was pleasntly supprised when the American public lashed out at this as hard as they did........It was about time. Now lets see if they are still paying attention.....

It doesn't seem to draw much attention here, though...

Heck, I have a suggestion for him.

Since many cable companies sell telecommunications services such as communications (two way) access via their cable systems or via telephone, and since they also carry competing services over partially or wholly owned systems and subsystems, declare that they are common carriers and thus REQUIRED to carry competing services at the local level.

For you and me, that means two specific things. One, you get to chose the ISP you reach the internet through if you have cable internet. Two, lower prices as competitors make more options available to you.

There is one other benefit That's not directly to the consumer but very important none-the-less. More money towards infrastructure creation and support.

Individual cable companies make less per subscriber but make it up in offsetting costs from other cariers who want to use their lines. When AT&T was forced to carry other companies, it didn't bankrupt them (despite their claims it would) It did, in fact, spark the biggest build out of telecommunications infrastructure in US history. It's what paid for the high capacity backbones.

Just so, you would have a choice, your rates would be lower, and there would be more money (overall) invested back into the system.

That means jobs. Jobs for people in support. Jobs for people in deployment, jobs for people in service delivery. That means more employed people, which further sparks more jobs for people supporting those who have jobs, building trucks, making cable and routers and Big Macs. It also means more taxes to the treasury.

Yes, it means AOL grows bigger. But so does Earthlink. So do other, smaller, local ISPs. Most cable plant systems ARE capable of handling this, and where they are not, it's the responsibility of people who want to compete on the lines to help pay for the upgrades necessary.

You could subscribe to the all pr0n channel system and the gamer (slower dl's but faster pings) ISP. Or you could subscribe to the All God TV network and the Higher Ping Higher DL rate service. You would have something you do not have now.

You would have a choice. The FCC should be about preserving and enhancing choice always. That is the very soul of both the public interest (who actually own the frequencies these systems transmit and recieve on)
    and a capitalist democracy.

One need only remember not even ten years ago that our only choice in Phones was AT&T or Ma Bell.. and the ONLY high speed available to us.. was 128kbps ISDN at 1.50 PER MINUTE rates, PLUS local loop charges.

It is past time, years past, for the FCC to declare cable companies common carriers and require they compete for our dollars just like everyone else. They use OUR right of ways. They use OUR utilitiy poles, they use OUR utility lines. These belong to US, to you and me, and by god we should be able to DEMAND they serve OUR interest, and not that of some small group of billionaires.

/me puts soapbox away.

Regards,
    -Bouncer-

Originally posted by Bouncer
    Heck, I have a suggestion for him.

Since many cable companies sell telecommunications services such as communications (two way) access via their cable systems or via telephone, and since they also carry competing services over partially or wholly owned systems and subsystems, declare that they are common carriers and thus REQUIRED to carry competing services at the local level.

For you and me, that means two specific things. One, you get to chose the ISP you reach the internet through if you have cable internet. Two, lower prices as competitors make more options available to you.

There is one other benefit That's not directly to the consumer but very important none-the-less. More money towards infrastructure creation and support.

Individual cable companies make less per subscriber but make it up in offsetting costs from other cariers who want to use their lines. When AT&T was forced to carry other companies, it didn't bankrupt them (despite their claims it would) It did, in fact, spark the biggest build out of telecommunications infrastructure in US history. It's what paid for the high capacity backbones.

Just so, you would have a choice, your rates would be lower, and there would be more money (overall) invested back into the system.

That means jobs. Jobs for people in support. Jobs for people in deployment, jobs for people in service delivery. That means more employed people, which further sparks more jobs for people supporting those who have jobs, building trucks, making cable and routers and Big Macs. It also means more taxes to the treasury.

Yes, it means AOL grows bigger. But so does Earthlink. So do other, smaller, local ISPs. Most cable plant systems ARE capable of handling this, and where they are not, it's the responsibility of people who want to compete on the lines to help pay for the upgrades necessary.

You could subscribe to the all pr0n channel system and the gamer (slower dl's but faster pings) ISP. Or you could subscribe to the All God TV network and the Higher Ping Higher DL rate service. You would have something you do not have now.

You would have a choice. The FCC should be about preserving and enhancing choice always. That is the very soul of both the public interest (who actually own the frequencies these systems transmit and recieve on)
    and a capitalist democracy.

One need only remember not even ten years ago that our only choice in Phones was AT&T or Ma Bell.. and the ONLY high speed available to us.. was 128kbps ISDN at 1.50 PER MINUTE rates, PLUS local loop charges.

It is past time, years past, for the FCC to declare cable companies common carriers and require they compete for our dollars just like everyone else. They use OUR right of ways. They use OUR utilitiy poles, they use OUR utility lines. These belong to US, to you and me, and by god we should be able to DEMAND they serve OUR interest, and not that of some small group of billionaires.

/me puts soapbox away.

Regards,
    -Bouncer-
    *Applauds*
    Very well said. I agree!