Thread: I want Outlook Express To be My Default E-mail Prog, Not Outlook XP..How Do I Change?

I want Outlook Express To be My Default E-mail Prog, Not Outlook XP..How Do I Change?

Ok, so I just reformatted my comp.

I have Outlook Express.

Then I installed MS Office XP Small Bus. Edition, which comes with Outlook XP.

By accident, I installed/registered my Outlook, and now when I open my browser window (IE 5.0) and click on the "mail" icon on my browser icon, it uses Outlook XP.

My parents are more used to Outlook Express, and they want me to change it back, so that when they click on the "mail" icon, it will use Express instead of Outlook XP.

How do I change this? TIA.

Not sure if this will work on XP, but with Win2K Pro click START, then go up to where (maybe) there is something called Set Program Access and Defaults. You can change it there.

Or you can just make a link available for OE for them to click on. You can run Outlook and Outlook Express, you don't have to choose just one or the other.

But my first suggestion will set the default, at least with my OS. I had XP at one time but don't recall seeing that.

there should be an option in one of the programs to set it to default e-mail client i think.
    4930K@4.3~32GBGskill~asusX79deluxe~r9-280x~240GB-SSD-OS drive~500GB-SSD-scratch~240GB-SSD-thrash~2TB storage~Windows 7 pro
    *~ SG stats ~my stats

IE Properties>Programs Tab> You should be able to make OE your default mail there (check the drop down box OE should be listed)

Originally posted by Norm
    IE Properties>Programs Tab> You should be able to make OE your default mail there (check the drop down box OE should be listed)

You're the man!

Simple, fast and it worked.

Thx buddy.

Cha-ching! Good one Norm.

I'm guessing that the START-------->Set Program Access and Defaults doesn't exist in XP like in 2KPro.

Originally posted by ghost
    Cha-ching! Good one Norm.

I'm guessing that the START-------->Set Program Access and Defaults doesn't exist in XP like in 2KPro.
    It does, but it's a download from the windows update site. A recommended update.

Originally posted by fastchevy
    It does, but it's a download from the windows update site. A recommended update.
    Okay, thanks for the info!