Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Repeated problem with Win2K PRO - Please advise

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Originally posted by neo960
    I will shop for it then. Can I just walk into Best Buy and pick one, or is there a good brand I should look for?
    Nah, just ATA-66 or higher ribbon cable (80 wire).

PM me your addy, I can send ya some. I have a whole drawerfull.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Originally posted by YeOldeStonecat
    Nah, just ATA-66 or higher ribbon cable (80 wire).

PM me your addy, I can send ya some. I have a whole drawerfull.
    Thanks YOSC. I would hate to make you spend on shipping. The cable will not cost much anyway. I am heading off to BestBuy to buy it now.

The system has been behaving itself until now. No problems so far with Win2K. To be sure, I reboot 3 times a day to see if I got the hive problem yet.

I wonder if I had formatted my old HD with NTFS just for the partition where I had the corruption problem, it might have helped. I know NTFS is good securitywise, but is it good in keeping the drive error free as well? What are your thoughts on this?

Quick question about the ribbon cable:

What is the proper way of pulling the cable out of the HD socket? Do you hold the actual wire ribbon and yank it or do you hold the plastic tab that is inserted into the socket and pull it?

I was holding the plastic tab(containing the pins that go into the HD socket) and pulled it when it broke into pieces in my hand. So I guess I should yank it out by holding the ribbon. But I just wanna make sure.

Idolized Industry Killer §I€MFKR™'s Avatar
    Thanks YOSC. I would hate to make you spend on shipping. The cable will not cost much anyway. I am heading off to BestBuy to buy it now.

The system has been behaving itself until now. No problems so far with Win2K. To be sure, I reboot 3 times a day to see if I got the hive problem yet.

I wonder if I had formatted my old HD with NTFS just for the partition where I had the corruption problem, it might have helped. I know NTFS is good securitywise, but is it good in keeping the drive error free as well? What are your thoughts on this?
    NTFS is very stable, Data coruption is really not to much of a problem. As for performance wise, NTFS can be set very nice with just a few small tweaks. Unless you are you a old OS then FAT32 doesn't need to be around.
    Bone, Brain, And Co*k
    Silence For My Revelry

What is the proper way of pulling the cable out of the HD socket? Do you hold the actual wire ribbon and yank it or do you hold the plastic tab that is inserted into the socket and pull it?

I was holding the plastic tab(containing the pins that go into the HD socket) and pulled it when it broke into pieces in my hand. So I guess I should yank it out by holding the ribbon. But I just wanna make sure.
    Anyone know the answer to this?

Thanks in advance.

It's a crapshoot. Yes I've seen some drives that have blown up before...take a wiping of partitions, low level formatting, install the OS...and behave for months or years. Other times, sure enough, it burps again and hoses another OS. Formatting with FTFS vs Fat32...shouldn't matter. If it blows up in FAT32...something is wrong. Yes NTFS can be more stable when it comes to integrity of files, say due to sudden powering down of the computer, if something is causing constant data corruption like you've seen...it's not because you're running FAT32, there's something causing the corruption. I've seen the HIVE error several times, even on my own systems....and it's been on NTFS. Like I mentioned way at the start of this thread, my own SBS2000 sever when I mistakingly used a new Maxtor I had gotten for free. That was NTFS from the get go. Replaced HD...problem gone.

You've wiped the slate clean and reinstalled the OS many times, right? Or wait, you were restoring from a ghost image. Perhaps one last thing you could have tried....is repartitioning and low level formatting the drive to prep it for receiving the ghost image again...I know Ghost is supposed to prep the drive before imaging, but I've seen it hiccup before on an image I knew was good.

Sometimes you just get so fedup with a problem, you have to take a "shotgun" approach to fixing it. Attack from several angles at the same time...new HD, new ribbon cables, fresh clean full install...and hope the problem stays away.
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Originally posted by PãradØxDêit¥™
    XP has drivers for just about everything, and software companys most likely have a update for XP. There is no need for a outdated OS, Xp can handle it.
    Has a great driver library for new stuff...but really doesn't for legacy hardware. Microsoft was telling people way ahead of XP's release they were no longer supporting lots of old hardware. That's why there's an XP compatiblity hardware list. I don't know what/how old of hardware Neo is talking about, but try getting full ISA or serial device support in XP.
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Ideally, hopefully, you have the better ribbon cables that have the built in "pull loops". Those distribute the load evenly across the entire width of the end of the ribbon cable.

In the situations where you're faced with cheaper cables without loops...try to grab using as much surface area as possible, evenly pulling across the entire width. Don't pull from one side or the other, else you'll be stretching and/or damaging the actual wiring within the cable.

I've found on the stubborn ones, if you grab using the plastic terminator, the end clips of the terminator can break, and you'll instantly see the inside of that end...little metal teeth that bite into the end of the cable...LOL. That's why I try not to pull them using just the plastic terminator. I've encountered too many brittle ones.
    Guinness for Strength!!!

I have been trying to do a post-mortem analysis of what else I could have done with my old HD to fix the problem. It is good to know that I made the right decision in buying the new Seagate 'cuda HD and that NTFS might not have helped with the old HD.
    You've wiped the slate clean and reinstalled the OS many times, right? Or wait, you were restoring from a ghost image. Perhaps one last thing you could have tried....is repartitioning and low level formatting the drive to prep it for receiving the ghost image again...I know Ghost is supposed to prep the drive before imaging, but I've seen it hiccup before on an image I knew was good.
    I did both. Neither worked.
    Sometimes you just get so fedup with a problem, you have to take a "shotgun" approach to fixing it. Attack from several angles at the same time...new HD, new ribbon cables, fresh clean full install...and hope the problem stays away.
    This is what I ended up doing. The new seagate 'cuda drive is working nice so far. But I do get the "being stalked" feeling that the problem is just lurking in the dark shadows around the corner waiting to strike. I will feel safe only when I move away from using a toy OS like Win2K and move to something more robust within the M$ world like XP.

Has a great driver library for new stuff...but really doesn't for legacy hardware. Microsoft was telling people way ahead of XP's release they were no longer supporting lots of old hardware. That's why there's an XP compatiblity hardware list. I don't know what/how old of hardware Neo is talking about, but try getting full ISA or serial device support in XP.
    Just my '98 vintage Dazzle video capture device which needs a piece of software called "Dazzle Amigo" in addition to the drivers. Amigo runs only on 95/98/ME.

I still keep it because I spent $250+ on this but at some point I will just get rid of .

I have been trying to do a post-mortem analysis of what else I could have done with my old HD to fix the problem. It is good to know that I made the right decision in buying the new Seagate 'cuda HD and that NTFS might not have helped with the old HD. I did both. Neither worked. This is what I ended up doing. The new seagate 'cuda drive is working nice so far. But I do get the "being stalked" feeling that the problem is just lurking in the dark shadows around the corner waiting to strike. I will feel safe only when I move away from using a toy OS like Win2K and move to something more robust within the M$ world like XP.
    Oh don't worry...Windows XP can get the HIVE error too! I love 'em both (2K and XP), although just prefer XP because of it's stronger multimedia functions/game compatiblity. But reliability wise, I find them both the same...strong!

I'll keep my fingers crossed for ya, this was quite a lingering problem.
    Guinness for Strength!!!