Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Repeated problem with Win2K PRO - Please advise

Originally posted by neo960

Is that a CMOS setting?
    Some bios's have that in them. If you don't see anything like load failsafe settings you could clear cmos by jumper and it should set it back to failsafe settings.

Originally posted by Sid
    Some bios's have that in them. If you don't see anything like load failsafe settings you could clear cmos by jumper and it should set it back to failsafe settings.
    That would be beyond my capacity to do unfortunately, because I have never worked on motherboard jumpers before. I am not a newbie, but I am not a guru either. I am just a little bit above the level of a newbie.

Would I be just better of junking this PC and buying a new pre-built one from Dell? Or should I try one more time and buy a new hard drive? It is a $1500 loss if I junk this new PC, but I am also losing my ability to use it for serious work.....

To clear cmos unplug the unit, pull the cover off it and look for the battery(looks like quarter). Within a 3 inch diameter of the battery you will find a jumper and in very small writting it should say something like nvram or clcmos. place the jumper on the next pin over(3 pins 2 will be covered)for about 5 sec then place the jumper back. That's all there is to it.

Would I be just better of junking this PC and buying a new pre-built one from Dell? Or should I try one more time and buy a new hard drive? It is a $1500 loss if I junk this new PC, but I am also losing my ability to use it for serious work.....
    There are no repair shops in your town?

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England

You seem not to like Maxtor HDs. Are they really that bad? What brand of HD is good in your opinion?

I do. Along with Quantum which they bought up, highest brand percentage I throw out.

My money goes towards Seagates and Western Digitals. I'm like IBM/Hitachi drives too...just layed off them a bit since certain model Deskstars had that overhead failure problem, although the IBM's I own are still goind strong.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Originally posted by CableDude
    There are no repair shops in your town?
    I dont trust them. I had this PC custom built at a computer parts/repair shop. That scumbag ripped me off and skipped town. I had bought a warranty also from him. He had cheated many people in my town and one day just sold off his business to someone else and ran away. No one knows where he is.

I don't trust these riff-raff anymore. I would rather take my chances with Dell if I need to trash this PC.

Are you running the latest bios? I can't find a reason for this unless its a bios or mobo issue. Are you running to most current drivers? I did see on intel's site they have some kind of IDE acceleration drivers

Idolized Industry Killer §I€MFKR™'s Avatar
    I would try XP before trashing a PC. Yeah 2K is a lot like XP but it's
    worth a shot.
    Bone, Brain, And Co*k
    Silence For My Revelry

Originally posted by Sid
    Are you running the latest bios? I can't find a reason for this unless its a bios or mobo issue. Are you running to most current drivers? I did see on intel's site they have some kind of IDE acceleration drivers
    Yes,
    I downloaded the latest BIOS for my mobo as well as the latest drivers and installed them a few months ago. I checked today, but there are no newer updates than the ones I have already installed.

I have Win2K server CD as well. I am going to try to install it.

Maybe installing in a different partition may help?

YOSC,

You mentioned that using a different Hard Drive always helped you solve this particular problem. So I am going to shop for a good HD and try installing the OS on that.

Instead of reinstalling W2KPRO, I did a fresh install of Win2K Server on a different partition and it seems to be working so far. I got beyond the point where things used to crash and burn and everything seems fine so far. I hope this will last.

Thanks everyone for all your help.

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    YOSC,

You mentioned that using a different Hard Drive always helped you solve this particular problem. So I am going to shop for a good HD and try installing the OS on that.
    The couple of times I've come across that error, yah that did it.

One client....she had Win2KPro, we did the restore of the original HIVE, 2 weeks later she came back with the same error. Replaced HD...been about a year since we heard from her.

As for my 2KSBS server at home having that error, well, my bad for using a Maxtor drive...it was brand new, and free, so those two factors won over my better judgement. It's now dismantled in our service department so people can see what the inside of a HD looks like. Put a Seagate 'cuda IV in place...rock solid since.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

YOSC,

Installing W2K Server instead of PRO on a Different Partition rather than the usual partition has solved my problem. I am not getting the crash any longer.

I am going to try that trick with PRO and see if that works as well.

W2K just plain sux, but I do not want to go to XP, with all the MS spyware that I heard were built into it.

Idolized Industry Killer §I€MFKR™'s Avatar
    but I do not want to go to XP, with all the MS spyware that I heard were built into it.
    The ridiculous, XP is the best OS you will ever run. No spyware. Thats nothing but BS.
    Bone, Brain, And Co*k
    Silence For My Revelry

SG Enthusiast
    Installing W2K Server instead of PRO on a Different Partition rather than the usual partition has solved my problem. I am not getting the crash any longer.
    Sounds like a problem with your disk. If it were the OS, you'd get this problem installing on any partition other than the 1st one, too.

I don't believe in ghosts or moody software. At this point, I'd try another disk.

For the record - I have had NOTHING but problems with mxtor hdds. Your mileage may vary and many swear by them, but for me they have been problematic crap - eventually becoming expensive paper weights.

Good luck,

Skye
    anything is possible - nothing is free

Quote Originally Posted by Blisster
    It *would* be brokeback bay if I in fact went and hung out with Skye and co (did I mention he is teh hotness?)

Originally posted by cyberskye
    For the record - I have had NOTHING but problems with mxtor hdds. Your mileage may vary and many swear by them, but for me they have been problematic crap - eventually becoming expensive paper weights.Skye
    I agree.

Ran into another one year old dead maxtor yesterday.
    clickity click, clickity click.
    I'm sure you've heard that sound before with Maxtor, and Fujistu drives. I've come across many of these makes now that didn't last a full year.

SG Enthusiast
    I know that clicking of which Norm speaks...

/* remembers the "oh, spit, it's too late to backup" feeling */

It *would* be brokeback bay if I in fact went and hung out with Skye and co (did I mention he is teh hotness?)

The HD I have currently is a Western Digital drive. Since I am having a bad experience with it, the next one will not be a WD. Since most of you give the thumbs down for Maxtor, I wont go for it either.

So should I try a Seagate 'cuda drive? Gotta check my budget and decide..

SG Enthusiast
    HDDs are sort of like wine - some brands have good years and some (IBM) have bad years. I have had 4 WD120SE s running for a long time with absolutely no issues. 2x80B SE's on my LAN server for almost as long - no problems. I have heard other posts where they have RMAd those same drives 2+ times and still ended up with the gurgle/click of death.

Which WD do you have?