Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Repeated problem with Win2K PRO - Please advise

Cool Win 2000, Error

Hello again,, sounds like it may be a hardware issue, I experienced problems with memory, the only thing about memory problems, is it usually causes different errors, makes it tougher to diagnose, if you have a spare, i would install it, just to see if your existing memory is really causing the problem, hope this helps,,,

Yup. I have ordered a new 512MB memory stick from Crucial today, as you saw in my post in the hardware section: http://forums.speedguide.net/showthr...5&pagenumber=3

I hope it will fix this problem. Keeping my fingers crossed.

I will post my findings once I get the new memory.

Re: Win 2000 Pro

Originally posted by ppanther68
    have you tried restoring registry from the recovery console, also the MBR as well, Later
    I will not be trying this now that I have ordered new memory, but just out of curiosity, can you give details on what is a recovery console, how to recover the registry from it, and how to restore the MBR? Keep in mind that Win2K is not bootable once the blue-screen errror happens.

Thanks.

Arrow Recovery Console help

Hello again,, when you install the recovery console it will give you two options, right after your post,, you can either run your Win 2000 Os, or the Recovery Console, when you get the prompt put in your admin. password if you have one, when you get to the command prompt type in help then enter, it will give you a list of commands you can use to repair or restore and diagnose various parts of your Os,, the rest can be found in Microsoft, as someone posted earlier from (CableDude) good luck,,,

Originally posted by neo960
    Yup. I have ordered a new 512MB memory stick from Crucial today, as you saw in my post in the hardware section: http://forums.speedguide.net/showthr...5&pagenumber=3

I hope it will fix this problem. Keeping my fingers crossed.

I will post my findings once I get the new memory.
    I finally managed to get the new memory module from Crucial.

I installed the new DIMM and restored the C: partition win2K PRO image from a ghost backup. I rebooted once and it booted OK. The second time I did a windows update and rebooted, and sure enough, I got the same Blue Screen of Death with the same message that "Registry Hive cannot be read as it is corrupted".

I wasted $100 on the crucial memory for nothing, but it is OK.

It cant be the Western Digital hard drive because I have run the western dig. diagnostics program on it and got no errors. What else can I try now? Please help!!!! I need to fix this problem so I can use the PC. Will replacing the motherboard help? Could it be just a bad ghost image?

This isn't what you want to hear, but this is what I would do:

Basically, reduce your computer to the mere essentials and start from the ground up. Install the OS, and each app & piece of hardware within 2 or 3 reboots of each other so that when the error occurs, you can refer back to your last change and narrow down the possibilities that way.

I would say forget ghost for now, until you know you have a stable install and the problem is solved.

good luck.
    "Nobody's invincible, no plan is foolproof, We all must meet our moment of truth." - Guru

Idolized Industry Killer §I€MFKR™'s Avatar
    All this and you haven't tried a clean install? The Ghost image is most likely corrupted. If this problem has been repetitive. The first common denominator is the image. With the new Ram, Format the drive and do a clean install.
    Bone, Brain, And Co*k
    Silence For My Revelry

Originally posted by koldchillah
    I would say forget ghost for now, until you know you have a stable install and the problem is solved.

good luck.

Agreed.

I am doing a clean install right now. I will post if this works out. If you see the beginning of this thread, you will see that most people advised that ghost may not be the problem.

I have started to notice some funky happenings in the other OS in my dual boot (win98). Sometimes it gives me a BSOD in which I cant see any english words. All control characters. It happened twice last week, but otherwise it has been stable. I have never had to reinstall it.

Any chance your using a promise controller?

Any chance your using a promise controller?
    Hi Sid,

I don't know. What is it and how do I find out if I am using it or not?

Also I just remembered one more thing:

Over the past three weeks, I was getting this error message in the initial bootup screen when the PC boots up, where it checks the memory and reports the BIOS version, drives installed etc (just before the dual boot OS menu shows up):

"RAM R/W error. Press F4 to resume"

This was one of the reasons why I ordered the new crucial RAM.
    So RAM was definitely an issue. The WIn2k Registry hive BSOD was probably unrelated.

Or maybe because the old RAM was bad, the ghost image created while the faulty RAM was in use may have been corrupt due to memory problems. Only unexplainable event is that it passes the ghost integrity check.

SG Enthusiast
    An integrity check does not check the image data against the original (at least not in my version of ghost), but verifies there is as much data as is advertised.

...it will tell you if a page from a book you have is missing, but it doesn't actually read the pages themselves, so there is no checking of the actual content of the image - whether the data makes sense; just that it exists and wasn't corrupted.

You *could* still have a bad image. You could also have a bad disk.

Ghost doesn't handle multi-boot systems well. It didn't work at all with a RH7.3 Linux - you had to reinstall the boot loader after building from the image.

EDIT: I would certainly try a fresh install before spending any more money on HW. Do you have a spare drive to try a fresh install? That would be my next step.

Skye
    anything is possible - nothing is free

Quote Originally Posted by Blisster
    It *would* be brokeback bay if I in fact went and hung out with Skye and co (did I mention he is teh hotness?)

I did the fresh install last night, overwriting the previous installation in the C partition. I did not format the C: partition because I did not want to destroy the dual boot.

I will now try to install the apps and see if anything breaks.

I did the fresh install last night.

Today morning I did all the critical updates from the windows update site and rebooted. Worked OK.

Then I installed service pack 4 and rebooted. Worked OK.

Then I installed AVG antivirus and rebooted. Worked OK.

Then I installed IE6 SP1 and rebooted.

I got the blue screen error message again:

STOP: C0000218 {Registry file failure)
    The registry cannot locate the hive (file):
    \SystemRoot\System32\Config\SOFTWARE
    or it's log or alternate.

It is corrupt, absent or not writable.

What do I do now? Now we know it is not Ghost that was causing the problem. Could it be the Hard Drive or the Intel motherboard? Could this be a Virus?

Note: I installed NO OTHER APPS than the ones I mentioned above. Just a bare minimum installation of Win2K PRO with AVG and the windows updates, and the drivers for the motherboard and graphics card.

Last edited by neo960; 09-20-03 at 12:07 PM.

Idolized Industry Killer §I€MFKR™'s Avatar
    Why didn't you install SP4? Insteed of SP3?

SP4
    Bone, Brain, And Co*k
    Silence For My Revelry

Originally posted by Hybridmonolith
    Why didn't you install SP4? Insteed of SP3?

SP4
    Oops ..sorry it WAS SP4. Typo!

A controller is to speed up the HD. Sometimes its built on the mother board and sometimes its a seperate card. Look in device manager and see if you see anything called "scsi" in there.

Also this could be a memory timing issue. Try setting the bios to either failsafe or default settings.

I checked the device manager and here is what I found:

Hard Disk Controllers:

Intel (R) 82801DB Ultra ATA storage Controller - 24CB
    Primary IDE controller (Dual fifo)
    Secondary IDE controller (Dual fifo)

BTW, this is my current configuration:
    Intel Desktop Board D845EBG2;
    Pentium4 2 GHz processor;
    CT6464Z40B 512 GB Crucial DDR PC3200 • CL=3 • Unbuffered • Non-parity • 5ns • 2.5V • 64Meg x 64 ;
    ATI Radeon 7000 32M DDR graphic card;
    40GB WD Hard Drive;

Originally posted by Sid
    Also this could be a memory timing issue. Try setting the bios to either failsafe or default settings.
    Is that a CMOS setting?