Thread: Faster NIC Detect in XP

Faster NIC Detect in XP

Ok, I want to have my NIC recognized faster in XP without using its auto detect that takes forever. I have learned this the hard way after assigning an IP address and submask to the Local Area Network I was able to have the NIC responded immediately, but my browser IE6 was able to get into regular unsigned sites and not secure websites, that took me 2 reformat thinking it was corrupted IE6 files. How can I get around this poblem ???

fem the retarded rabbit mccoffee's Avatar
    If i read it right in ie goto tools internet options, connections, lan settings make sure nothing is checked
    Comptia a+ n+

If i read it right in ie goto tools internet options, connections, lan settings make sure nothing is checked

No, I mean just when XP boots up I have to wait like 30-60 secs before I'am able to connect to my DSL ISP, the internet connection will seize until the NIC auto detects the IP.

fem the retarded rabbit mccoffee's Avatar
    Try this http://www.carricksolutions.com/windowsxp.php#2 that and try to take some things off of startup to do that goto start menut, run, and type msconfig.
    Comptia a+ n+

7. I notice a slower boot time, or delays / Blackouts or Time-outs while waiting for webpages to load.
    1) Go to "Start" -> "Control Panel"
    2) Click on "Network & Internet Connections"
    3) Click on "Network Connections"
    4) Right click on the icon for your Ethernet card connected to your DSL modem _> Choose "Properties"
    5) Click on "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) -> Click "Properties"
    6) In the "General" tab check off "Use the following IP address"
    7) Enter an internal IP address 192.168.xxx.xxx (replace the x's with a number of your choice)
    8) Enter a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0
    9) Click "OK"
    10) Click "OK"

Yahoooo !!!
    Looks like this tweak fixed the problem, I had done the same in Win '98 and XP, but the problem was I was using the default XP subnet mask setting of 255.0.0.0 instead of 255.255.255.0 and I was not able to logon onto secure websites. Now I can logon immediately after XP boots without waiting !