Thread: Bowed guitar neck?

Bowed guitar neck?

A friend of mine gave me a guitar years ago...12 string Ventura Bruno.

I'm about to give it away but am wondering...the neck is slightly bowed, so evenly that it doesn't seem warped but intentional. Are guitar necks always perfectly flat or do some have a slight concavity?

Thanks

Some have flat necks....most are bowed....it helps with hand positioning.....

However..more info...do you mean there is a bow lengthwise? If so.....It will be very difficult to play.....You'll hardly be able to press the strings down in the middle of the neck without a lot of fret noise.....assuming it's bowed with the tension of the strings..And even at that.....playing in tune will be a hassle..
    The tools of conquest do not necessarily come with bombs and explosions and fallout. There are weapons that are simply thoughts, attitudes, and prejudices to be found only in the minds of men. For the record, prejudices can kill and suspicion can destroy and a thoughtless, frightened search for a scapegoat has a fallout all of its own for the children and the children yet unborn and the pity of it is that these things cannot be confined to the Twilight Zone.

Re: Bowed guitar neck?

Originally posted by Humboldt
    A friend of mine gave me a guitar years ago...12 string Ventura Bruno.

I'm about to give it away but am wondering...the neck is slightly bowed, so evenly that it doesn't seem warped but intentional. Are guitar necks always perfectly flat or do some have a slight concavity?

Thanks

Almost all guitars are bowed. That is the strings should be higher from the fingerboard at the 12th fret than at the 1st fret. If they were not like this the strings would buzz like hell against the frets when you tried to play it.
    Respect it.

Re: Re: Bowed guitar neck?

Originally posted by agentbeast
    Almost all guitars are bowed. That is the strings should be higher from the fingerboard at the 12th fret than at the 1st fret. If they were not like this the strings would buzz like hell against the frets when you tried to play it.
    Is the first closest to the body? Yes it's bowed lengthwise, but since I got 2 differing answers from you guys I'm not sure what to think

Re: Re: Re: Bowed guitar neck?

Originally posted by Humboldt
    Is the first closest to the body? Yes it's bowed lengthwise, but since I got 2 differing answers from you guys I'm not sure what to think

The 1st fret is up top. Closest to the tuning pegs. The 12th fret is normally marked with 2 dots.
    Respect it.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Bowed guitar neck?

Originally posted by agentbeast
    The 1st fret is up top. Closest to the tuning pegs. The 12th fret is normally marked with 2 dots.
    So you think it's normal?

What about fret noise and trouble keeping it in tune?

Agent is right about a slight backwards bow....

You have not answered the question. Are you talking about a bow lengthwise? And are you also talking about a bow in the neck without strings? If so...again that's normal. It will straighten out a bit when you tune up the strings as they put a lot of tension on the neck.

Now if your talking about a bow in the wrong direction..that's another story. Also if it's "twisted"..
    The tools of conquest do not necessarily come with bombs and explosions and fallout. There are weapons that are simply thoughts, attitudes, and prejudices to be found only in the minds of men. For the record, prejudices can kill and suspicion can destroy and a thoughtless, frightened search for a scapegoat has a fallout all of its own for the children and the children yet unborn and the pity of it is that these things cannot be confined to the Twilight Zone.

Originally posted by downhill

You have not answered the question. Are you talking about a bow lengthwise? And are you also talking about a bow in the neck without strings? If so...again that's normal. It will straighten out a bit when you tune up the strings as they put a lot of tension on the neck.

Now if your talking about a bow in the wrong direction..that's another story. Also if it's "twisted"..
    lol, are you drinking tonight? I did too.

My first post says, "the neck is slightly bowed, so evenly that it doesn't seem warped but intentional. Are guitar necks always perfectly flat or do some have a slight concavity?"

Concavity implying...straight out saying actually, that the bend in the neck is downward in the center

Then you asked, "do you mean there is a bow lengthwise to which I answered, "Yes it's bowed lengthwise

geez

But no, this is with strings on...have been on for about 6 years, attempted tuning by a buddy a few years ago...About 4 of the 12 are broken.

It doesn't seem twisted per se, but there is a noticable bend...in the direction of a smile in a smiley face if you're looking at ther guitar from the side. Not that severe but there...all of the shellac or whatever coating is on it is fine, no cracking to indicate warping. And from what you're saying that is a bend in the wrong direction though?

So why didn't you say so? lol

You mention it has a slight bend downward from the center.....A set of new strings will heal that.

Originally posted by downhill
    So why didn't you say so? lol

You mention it has a slight bend downward from the center.....A set of new strings will heal that.
    Wouldn't that pull it farther in the bent direction?

And yes, as if you can't tell, I've never played guitar.

The Neck shouldn't be curved. It's more of a straight line. The body is normally flat maybe rounded a bit for asthetics. Then the neck should tilt slightly forward maybe 1 degree or so. This is so that when you are playing up in the first few frets that the strings don't buzz against them. If you measure the space between the frets (Metal Bars on the fingerboard) and the strings. The space should get gradually bigger as you move down the finger board (From Tuning Pegs towards end of fingerboard.) If the space get's bigger then smaller then something is messed up with the neck of the guitar. If the space just get's bigger then it's normal.
    Respect it.