Thread: Toronto's Rock of Ages...450,000 Mick Fans

Blog Entries

Smile Toronto's Rock of Ages...450,000 Mick Fans

SARS-Stock sees 450,000 rock 'n' roll fanatics from around world come to T.O.

By SARAH GREEN, TORONTO SUN

It was Toronto's emotional rescue. After living for months under the dark cloud of SARS, an estimated 450,000 music fans packed a sun-baked Downsview Park yesterday for a history-making concert, headlined by the Rolling Stones, to revive Toronto's battered image.

The Stones, who interrupted their European tour to play the all-day show, stormed the stage at 10 p.m., drawing loud cheers as the first notes of Start Me Up boomed over the speakers.

Mick Jagger, who celebrated his 60th birthday last weekend, strutted around the stage with an energy that belied his age.

"You're here, we're here and Toronto's back and it's booming," Jagger told the crowd, calling the concert the "biggest party in Toronto's history."

LED CROWD

Jagger, who modelled a few outfits from a pink jacket to a sleeveless shirt, led a choir of hundreds of thousands, urging the crowd to sing along with Stones' hits, including You Can't Always Get What You Want. He also made room on stage for surprise collaborations with popstar Justin Timberlake and AC/DC guitarist Angus Young.

Jagger also paid tribute to the Canadian and U.S. armed forces, who were watching the live televised concert in 177 countries around the world.

Keith Richards had a simple message for adoring fans: "I love you too."

Satisfaction came last -- at the end of a 90-minute set -- and the Stones saved Jumping Jack Flash for an encore.

A burst of fireworks lit up the night sky before fans were urged to "go home, be safe."

Some fans didn't stay to see the headliners. A small exodus began at 9:30 p.m. after AC/DC took their final bow. Streams of fans trickled out of the park during the Stones' set and the massive crowd was on the move at 11:45 p.m.

What was left behind was a legacy of litter: Empty water bottles and food wrappers were strewn across the 320-hectare site.

O CANADA

Singer Jann Arden opened the show at noon by leading the crowd in O Canada, but not before gasping in astonishment as she looked out over the sea of humanity.

Throughout the day, a diverse lineup of performers took the stage, from mostly Canadians in the afternoon, including Sam Roberts, The Tea Party and Blue Rodeo, to mostly rockers at night, including The Guess Who, Rush and AC/DC.

It was the hardrockers from Australia who brought the tired, sunburned crowd to its feet, playing a set that sounded like a greatest hit package.

"Hey Toronto, thanks for inviting us here," said AC/DC frontman Brian Johnson, in a gravelly voiced greeting. "We wouldn't have missed it for the f---ing world."

He later coaxed the audience into making "the loudest, nastiest noise in all of Canada" during the singalong anthem Thunderstruck.

The marathon show drew fans young and old -- those who have worshipped the Stones since the 1970s and those who were born in the decade.

"It's an historic event," said Jim Rodriguez, 45, a fan from Long Beach, Calif., adding the Stones were the only band that could draw a record-setting crowd. "I don't know what it is. I've been trying to figure it out for 32 years. It's like family. It's like a religion."

There were also echoes of Woodstock festivals, both 1969 and 1999, as the pungent smell of marijuana filtered through the crowd and young women were urged by crowds of cheering men to bare their breasts.

The blistering heat and uneven terrain took its toll on fans, who suffered mostly minor cases of heatstroke, burns, sprains and a possible broken ankle.

At one point, emcee Dan Aykroyd urged the crowd to drink water.

Bottles were selling two for $5 and 950,000 free bottles were handed out to fans to allay concerns over a water shortage. A misting station also cooled overheated fans.

The site, which played host last July to Pope John Paul and a mass of 800,000, filled throughout the afternoon as fans poured through three gates into the former airbase.

What was a mostly empty runway at 11 a.m. came to a packed standstill by mid-afternoon as fans settled on the asphalt below giant videoscreens and others tried to push their way through hot, sweaty crowds and around service vehicles.

Several shouting matches broke out between Molson servers and drunken fans when the 10 beer gardens closed at 9 p.m.

There were long lineups across the site. Fans waited for food, water, beer tickets, entrance to the beer tents and most urgently, access to the 3,500 porta-potties.

The wait for Windsor's Jason Greer, 29, and his nephew Justin, 24, to get a beer was two hours.

EASIER TO BUY WATER

"It's a lot easier to go up and buy two bottles of water than wait two hours for beer. We're in Canada, we shouldn't have to wait two hours for beer," Greer said, adding the crowd was respectful but too grown-up to bring his 8-year-old daughter.

"It would have been great to tell her she went to the Stones when she was a kid."

The province, which initially anted up $2 million, pitched in another $1 million to the concert, as infrastructure costs, from staging to security, rose along with expected attendance, Premier Ernie Eves said yesterday.

The federal government gave $3.5 million while Molson put up $5 million.

Early in the day, Eves, Ralph Klein and other western premiers huddled over a flaming grill at a barbecue that stretched a quarter-mile down the runway to promote Canadian beef, hard-hit by mad cow disease.

"The beef is safe and it's and it's safe to come to Toronto and Ontario," Klein said.

regards

minir

"It's a lot easier to go up and buy two bottles of water than wait two hours for beer. We're in Canada, we shouldn't have to wait two hours for beer," Greer said.

Hehehe, so true.

Had 2 roomates go and they had a blast. They were home by 2:30am. I thought it would have taken them until 4 or 6am with all the people and traffic.
    The more I drink, the less I care.

Blog Entries
    Hi sitosterol

I watched on TV. It was a Great Show imho & the Crowd was really into it.

I have never been a big Stones fan. They simply don't do it for me, never have. I thought AC/DC put on a better performance. The Who where in their as well.

Lot's of Oldies, Boobies, Beer & Pot it seemed.

Great for the City and Terrific for Canada's image as well imho.

I'd be Remiss if i Didn't say how Wonderful it was of the Stones to do what they did. They are to be congratulated for their Generosity and i much admire them for that.

Thanks for your reply sitosterol

Have a Rockin-Good day

regards

minir

I had a great time!!!!!!!!!

Had my back pack with a few bottles of water, a blanket, sun block, a bag of peanuts and my PDA with a few games for when some of the lame acts showed up.

Have to tell you, AC/DC was the best part of the show!!

Not that many Americans though...must be the legalized marijuana or legal gay marriage legislation
    got old

Blog Entries
    Originally posted by Think
    I had a great time!!!!!!!!!

Had my back pack with a few bottles of water, a blanket, sun block, a bag of peanuts and my PDA with a few games for when some of the lame acts showed up.

Have to tell you, AC/DC was the best part of the show!!

Not that many Americans though...must be the legalized marijuana or legal gay marriage legislation
    -----

Hi Think

I agree with your AC/DC observation. Man they really Rocked

You went well equipped it seems...Smart move

They say 42,000 Americans showed up which is pretty good considering it was a Mid week show. I'm sure it would have been higher if it was a weekend.

Psst!
    I think their afraid of Hockey Players

Have a Good one & Thanks for your reply

regards

minir

Psst!I think their afraid of Hockey Players
    Quit possible minir

Or our outstanding quality of beer
    got old

Blog Entries
    Originally posted by Think
    Quit possible minir

Or our outstanding quality of beer
    ---------

Hi Think

This is Also a Possibility

Justine Timberlake sure got his share of Water though Eh!.

Man was he out of his element, or what. What the Hell where the Organizers thinking including Him...Yuck!

Musta been a Girl thing.

You, Think, will now have a Lifetime of telling People " I Was Their Man!!!

I doesn't get any better than that.

Thanks and enjoy your evening

regards

larry

SpeedFreak
    I also watched it on TV yesterday (CBC).

Looked like a great show, that crowd was just massive.

It must have been hell trying to get out of there when it was over.

Originally posted by Banshee
    I also watched it on TV yesterday (CBC).

Looked like a great show, that crowd was just massive.

It must have been hell trying to get out of there when it was over.
    It wasn't too bad Banshee. I live in Bolton, which is about 40 minutes for Downsview but was still able to get home by 2am.

I know what you mean minir, but believe it or not, there were quit a few people cheering and enjoying his routine...I played tetras on my PDA
    got old

Blog Entries
    Hi Banshee & Think

Banshee

According to our News here a lot of people started to leave early. missing the Stones last set and because of that unexpected exit it cleared the way for the later majority to have better access to the Buses, Subways etc. apparently most people had little difficulty getting home earlier than they had anticipated.

Also little to no trouble according to the Chief of Police. He was quite pleased with the calmness of the crowds and lack of rowdiness.

Think

tetras is Good

Have a Good one guys and Thanks for your replies.

regards

minir

Wow.........that's still one huge crowd......

Maybe a documentary was made? I'd pay good money for it....
    The tools of conquest do not necessarily come with bombs and explosions and fallout. There are weapons that are simply thoughts, attitudes, and prejudices to be found only in the minds of men. For the record, prejudices can kill and suspicion can destroy and a thoughtless, frightened search for a scapegoat has a fallout all of its own for the children and the children yet unborn and the pity of it is that these things cannot be confined to the Twilight Zone.

Blog Entries
    Hi downhill

It was the Largest Crowd Ever in North America for a Rock Concert and the Largest the Stones have ever seen.

It was shown Worldwide on TV. Probably there will be Repeat performances of it in the near future i would think.

The amazing thing was how well it went, without rowdiness etc. A very Good Group of people their for a Good Cause and a Great time.

They the Stars and Fans alike deserve a lot of credit for the way it all came together.

I was talking to a few people that went their and they all had the same thing to say. Great, No Problems.

The City of Toronto and all its attendant Services, Police, Fire, Health Care & Transportation had a chance to learn from the Popes Visit a few months ago and through that where able to fine tune things even further.

800,000 showed for the Pope...nice to see He still outdraws Mick and company.

Take care downhill and Thanks for your reply.

regards

larry