Thread: Watch out for those leaks.

Watch out for those leaks.

Hello all,
    On Wenesday I got my water bill with a notice saying I may have a water leak in my system......because my water usage went up dramatically. Well guess what I found? my upstairs toilet was leaking water from the inside tank flapper, I went ahead and bought a new Fluid Master replacement kit...Valve, flusher and all the hardware..

I installed it this morning, all in all not to bad of a job....Anyways for the one month the tank was leaking it cost me a additional $30 for the month....And I am talking about a small leak..nothing huge where you would notice it....

I found out that a small leak could cost the average person over $360 a year........That my friends is no small hunk of change.....

Check your toilet systems if you suspect your water bill is out of line with your expectations .....

Just FYI....

chevyman282
    When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer "Present" or "Not guilty."
    Theodore Roosevelt

Folding Thunder
    Tanx chevy, gonna check my commode now................................................................................................. .................................................................................................... .., nope, no leaks

Blog Entries
    Hi ya chevyman282

You sound absolutely Flush with excitement

If i might add chevyman282, turning Down the Temperature on your Hot Water Heater can Save you a bundle as well.

Most are installed by the People Who Bill you for usage & They set them Way Too high. It's also dangerous for the Kiddies and Older people as well. You can get quite a burn.

Didn't mean to hog your thread chevyman282, thought it might be helpful

Have a Good one and Thanks for the Tip

regards

minir

LT-73,
    Glad to hear you have no leaks..The way I found the leak I had was by putting in color dye in the tank and then 30 minutes later the dye was in the bowl...That is a sure sign of a leak...Actually the dye leaves a trail, and you can find out what part of your system leaks......For me it was a small leak, but as I said a small leak will cost you money over time...

I would rather spend that money on upgrading my computer.

chevyman282..
    When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer "Present" or "Not guilty."
    Theodore Roosevelt

Originally posted by minir
    Hi ya chevyman282

You sound absolutely Flush with excitement

If i might add chevyman282, turning Down the Temperature on your Hot Water Heater can Save you a bundle as well.

Most are installed by the People Who Bill you for usage & They set them Way Too high. It's also dangerous for the Kiddies and Older people as well. You can get quite a burn.

Didn't mean to hog your thread chevyman282, thought it might be helpful

Have a Good one and Thanks for the Tip

regards

minir
    Larry , thank you for the tip on the hot water heater, I checked mine and it was at 145 degrees , I turned it down to 115 degrees...

I like cold showers once in a while...

chevyman282..
    Theodore Roosevelt

Here is a follow up on water waste....

Where does all your water go?

Flushing the toilet uses 5-7 gallons of water

Running the faucet while brushing your teeth consumes 3-5 gallons of water

A ten-minute shower uses 40-70 gallons of water

Running the dishwasher uses 10-20 gallons of water

Washing a full load of clothes consumes 30-55 gallons of water

Washing your car for 20 minutes uses 90 gallons of water.

A faucet with a slow drip consumes 300 gallons per month.

A toilet leaking for six months uses 45,000 gallons

chevyman282....
    Theodore Roosevelt

Blog Entries
    Originally posted by chevyman282
    Larry , thank you for the tip on the hot water heater, I checked mine and it was at 145 degrees , I turned it down to 115 degrees...

I like cold showers once in a while...

chevyman282..
    --------

Hi chevyman

Cold Showers are Good, Well at least the Reason behind them are

I bet chevyman that the majority of Homes, Apts. etc have the Heater way too high. It's one of the first things i check whenever i move and i also advise people of it. It makes no sense imho. It sits there all day heating up water that you use little of and wastes all kinds of Hydro and your dollars with it.

Thanks for the Water Consumption Tables. handy

Have a Good one & Stay Wet.

regards

minir

When I was living in England, many houses, mine included, did not have water meters. There was a fixed annual charge for water regardless of how much or how little you used.
    Wave upon wave of demented avengers march cheerfully out of obscurity into the dream.