Thread: Logon for XP Slow

Logon for XP Slow

Just upgraded to XP and I noticed that when I try to logon to my ISP(PPPoE) it takes like 30-60 sec for XP to finish detecting the NIC or whatever before the logon box can be displayed, this is so annoying, any way to speed this up ??? So is this why XP is faster ? instead of detecting everything at the boot-up stage it detects after it is in GUI stage. I have already disable most of the services in XP if you thought it was that, that was slowing it down.

oleg
    Have you this problems after you boot and log in to XP?

What you can do is to clear all chekboxes in the NIC's properties/general.
    Another good tip is to set your IP to one of the local IPs ie. 192.168.0.1 It does not harm your broadband connection.
    You can use RASPPPOE instead of the built in PPPOE support. I can only recommend it! http://www.raspppoe.com/
    Have you installed the newest drivers for your NIC? :-)

I hope it was helpfull for you!

oLEG

Well, assigning an IP address and submask to Local Area Connection instead of Auto Assign IP Address seem to have solved the problem. I'am not using any 2nd party PPPoE software other than XPs internet connections setup which seems to be the beauty of XP. ... Yippie, no more installing ISP supplied softwares !