Thread: pics of me on African safari when i was 13.......

pics of me on African safari when i was 13.......

didn't have any pics of me as a kid when the "childhood pics" thread was around. talked to my mother today and asked if she could scan some and e-mail them to me.

anyways, i believe these are pics from when we were in the Luungua Valley (sp?) in Zambia. this was in '83 (note the Members Only jacket and knee-high athletic socks). i believe i was 13 at the time.

the rifles i am pictured with are either a custom-made side-by-side .375 H&H Magnum made for my dad by his gunsmith in England, or a composite/resin bodied bolt-action Remington .280.

pops was reaping the harvest of his major successes at the time, and we going to different places on the globe so he could fulfill his "Hemingway-esqe" aspirations. needless to say, i got to do some hunting of my own.

"Today is a black day in the history of mankind."

- Leo Szilard

those are some cool pics, and as much of a sportsman as I am, I just can't bring myself to shoot an innocent animal. Maybe the hog I can see, but the gazelle and zebra? nnaww.. not me. lol

That must have been exciting being there in such an exotic & wild place.
    "Nobody's invincible, no plan is foolproof, We all must meet our moment of truth." - Guru

Looks like alot of fun, wish I had that kinda of cash to go on a hunt like that, you guys get any of those mounted ?
    ASUS P4P800 865PE Springdale
    P4 2.4c
    ATI Radeon 9600Pro 128
    Crucial 512 PC3200
    Antec 660B Performance Plus Case
    Antec TruePower 330
    Linksys Cable/DSL Router

Originally posted by koldchillah
    those are some cool pics, and as much of a sportsman as I am, I just can't bring myself to shoot an innocent animal. Maybe the hog I can see, but the gazelle and zebra? nnaww.. not me. lol

That must have been exciting being there in such an exotic & wild place.

well, i am not much of a hunter anymore. i mean i could if i so desired.... but at that time i was more aspiring to be like my old man, and he was aspiring that i be like him. nowadays, hunting isn;t where my heart's at. i would rather walk up and pet or play with animals rather than shoot them. nothing wrong with hunting at all IMO..... just not what i am driven towards at the moment.

Originally posted by Dave's World
    Looks like alot of fun, wish I had that kinda of cash to go on a hunt like that, you guys get any of those mounted ?

well, my dad had just sold his company (Discwasher..... made record cleaning products and Hi-Fi accessories) to Int'l Jensen in 1980 for $10 mil, so we were pretty set. not long after these pics were taken, i started to become an individual and developed my own unique set of priorities. funny enough, money was not at the top of them. i make a decent living, but nowhere near what the ol' man did/does. and you know what? i am totally happy with that. i mean, being knee-high in money sure has it's perks..... but he and i are just two very different people.

oh, and yeah... my dad had an addition built onto the house, and one of the rooms was the "trophy room". roughly 20'x60' with vaulted ceilings, and crammed with (animal) trophies. full mount of a grizzly he shot in Alaska, elephant leather sofa, tusks straddling one of the picture windows, and all walls with heads galore. if Ingrid Newkirk (PETA founder and president) were to walk in that room, i sincerely believe she would have a coronary.

- Leo Szilard

Thumbs up

cool pics!
    no loins? I want Lions

i stopped hunting after i shot a squirrel. I felt like crap. however i dont have anything aginst people who hunt.

i have bought your dads products on more than one occassion.

I could have thought of something so simple but i would have spent all the money on *****s drugs and alcahol j/k

I was going to post a link to that thread, but the SG search results for "bullsh|t" were too numerous

sometimes you have to think outside the box to get inside the box .

Thumbs up

cool pics!
    no loins? I want Lions

i stopped hunting after i shot a squirrel. I felt like crap. however i dont have anything aginst people who hunt.

I could have thought of something so simple but i would have spent all the money on *****s drugs and alcahol j/k

I was going to post a link to that thread, but the SG search results for "bullsh|t" were too numerous

Thumbs up

cool pics!
    no loins? I want Lions

Thumbs up

cool pics!
    no loins? I want Lions

Thumbs up

cool pics!
    no loins? I want Lions

Thumbs up

cool pics!
    no loins? I want Lions

Thumbs up

cool pics!
    no loins? I want Lions

Thumbs up

cool pics!
    no loins? I want Lions

Thumbs up

cool pics!
    no loins? I want Lions

Thumbs up

cool pics!
    no loins? I want Lions

wtf how did that happen?^^^^^^

Originally posted by Randy
    wtf how did that happen?^^^^^^

aw, man! i saw the post count jump for the thread and thought i had a fan club or something

pops did get a lion, though. leopard, too. no cheetah, though.... those had long been endangered. even in the early '80s.

- Leo Szilard

Originally posted by Faust
    aw, man! i saw the post count jump for the thread and thought i had a fan club or something
    sorry about that i thought i could only post every 15 sec musta been a glitch.

cool pics though .. got any pics of your gibson?

Originally posted by Randy
    ...got any pics of your gibson?

not right now. had a few but must have lost them last format/fresh install. i will be doing a strip down & set up soon. just taking of the strings and fully clean/polish everything, set the bridge/string & pickup height and adjust the truss rod. was scared to mess w/the truss rod, but i have done a lot of reading and feel confident enough to not be afraid. i was meaning to take it to the shop to have the setup done, but have either been sick or too busy at work to get around to it.

when it;s all shiny and glowing and exuding guitar sexiness i'll post some pics just for fun.

- Leo Szilard