Thread: pics of me as a kid (warning, pics of dead animals inside. 56K beware)

pics of me as a kid (warning, pics of dead animals inside. 56K beware)

(*edit*..... will also post this in Digital Media Forum. just wanted to also share with some of the people here who frequent the General Forum)

didn't have any pics of me as a kid when the "childhood pics" thread was around. talked to my mother today and asked if she could scan some and e-mail them to me.

anyways, i believe these are pics from when we were in the Luungua Valley (sp?) in Zambia. this was in '83 (note the Members Only jacket and knee-high athletic socks). i believe i was 13 at the time.

the rifles i am pictured with are either a custom-made side-by-side .375 H&H Magnum made for my dad by his gunsmith in England, or a composite/resin bodied bolt-action Remington .280.

pops was reaping the harvest of his major successes at the time, and we going to different places on the globe so he could fulfill his "Hemingway-esqe" aspirations. needless to say, i got to do some hunting of my own.

"Today is a black day in the history of mankind."

- Leo Szilard

Uninsured for your health
    does Zebra really taste like Chicken?
    Quote Originally Posted by Three Rivers Designs
    America! Love it or give it back!

Awesome man. I'll never forget my trip to Kenya when I was about 10 or so. We didn't do any hunting but the safari was spectacular.
    spec-
    Rig #1- AMD XP 2400+, A-Bit KR7A/266, Gainward Geforce3 ti200 64mb Golden Sample, 1GB Crucial DDR, 40 gig WD HDD (7200), XP PRO, Vantec Stealth 420 PSU, Soundblaster Live 5.1
    Rig #2- P4 2.4c, Abit IC7 800 FSB /w onboard sound, Radeon 9700 Pro 128, 1 Gig Corsair 3200 XMS, Dual (SATA) 36GB WD Raptor's in RAID 0, XP Pro, Antec Truepower 400
    Rig #3-AMD Barton 2500+, Albatron KX600 (via), 1 gig Corsair 3200, Radeon 9600 Pro 128, Seagate 80 gig HD, Antec Truepower 400

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Heh, must be cool to find them old pics 'n look at them. I'm gonna be doing the same thing soon, my mom wants to give me all the old pics of us growing up. It's cool going through them.

You drop them, or posing after yer dad did?

Man them boars are ugly, eh? Wonder how they taste as bacon...oh how I love bacon..thick thick deli sliced bacon, non of that paper thin oscar meyer stuff.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Originally posted by CiscoKid
    does Zebra really taste like Chicken?
    heh, well we didn;t eat the zebra. the meat from that was given to the porters, and they took it back to their village. we took the hide and the head mount. elphant, cat meat (leopard and lion and such), hippo, zebra and monkey-type meats aren't very good, but if it was killed, it was put to use (by us or the natives). most all the antelopes are good to eat (kudu, impala, puku, oribi, eland, waterbuck, and a couple others i can;t remember the name of). there's other good eats there, too. like warthog and wildebeast.

and Jstyr..... isn;t it great? i can remember the first time i was on an open-cab Land Cruiser heading from the dirt airstrip to the camp and just seeing all kinds of animals around.... animals i had only seen on TV or in a zoo.

also, the first night out in the bush was hair-raising. the camp was right next to the Chabimbi river (sp?), and at night there would be all kinds of crazy noises outside. scared the crap outta me. the professional hunter/guide said most of it was hippos and hyenas. souned more like lions and tigers and bears (oh, my!) to me.

- Leo Szilard

Originally posted by YeOldeStonecat
    You drop them, or posing after yer dad did?

no, these were animals i shot. there are some more, but i didn;t want my mom to spend half a day scanning images and e-mailing them to me. my crowning achievement was the cape buffalo... it;s actually a very dangerous animal.

- Leo Szilard

Cool! And here I thought you were just a computer junkie all this time. Very interesting.

wow that is really cool Faust .... big game safari in Africa.

i've always wanted to do something like that .....

Awesome man

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

SG Enthusiast

Thumbs up

Real cool man, nice pics.

Wow, what an experience!!

Thanks for sharing them with us!
    The tools of conquest do not necessarily come with bombs and explosions and fallout. There are weapons that are simply thoughts, attitudes, and prejudices to be found only in the minds of men. For the record, prejudices can kill and suspicion can destroy and a thoughtless, frightened search for a scapegoat has a fallout all of its own for the children and the children yet unborn and the pity of it is that these things cannot be confined to the Twilight Zone.

Wow Faust!!! Cool Pics!!! I bet you will never forget that experiece!

Certified SG Addict
    I like the Denon t-shirt.

Blog Entries
    Hi Faust

You are one Lucky devil Scott. What a Trip that must have been. Something most of us simply read about & the kinda stuff Dreams are made for.

Sure beats the Hell out of knocking off a few Groundhogs on a Saturday.

I envy you Your Experiences Scott. Wonderful

Thanks for sharing.

regards

larry

Originally posted by Burke
    I was also going to comment on it. That must be one of the first promotional items Denon put out..... At least as far as to the general public type of thing...83 or so is about the time that Denon started mass producing their famous CD players. Even though they had been around for years....they were mostly noted for pro or DJ items before the advent of the CD...
    The tools of conquest do not necessarily come with bombs and explosions and fallout. There are weapons that are simply thoughts, attitudes, and prejudices to be found only in the minds of men. For the record, prejudices can kill and suspicion can destroy and a thoughtless, frightened search for a scapegoat has a fallout all of its own for the children and the children yet unborn and the pity of it is that these things cannot be confined to the Twilight Zone.

Certified SG Addict
    I'm still trying to figure out why you were wearing a Members Only jacket in stinkin' Zambia...

Pic with the Cape Buffalo...that a double gun?
    Tao_Jones Cult Member since 2004
    I gave Miss Manners a Dirty Sanchez, and she LIKED it.

Cool Stuff Faust, just don't let MadDoc see this thread.
    Respect it.

yeah, my dad was the sole US rep for Denon and Stax in the late '70s/early 80s. never saw any of their CD players, but pops had a bunch of Denon turntables and Stax headphone equipment (mostly preamps and such). i think in '80 or '82 he stopped doing that. right after he sold his company (Discwasher) to Int'l Jensen, and moved on to his other projects.

I'm still trying to figure out why you were wearing a Members Only jacket in stinkin' Zambia...

lol... well, early in the morning it was actually pretty cold. we wer there in early summer, so it really wasn;t as hot as you'd think. plus, as we know, Member's Only jackets weren't really known for their insulative qualities.

Originally posted by brembo
    Pic with the Cape Buffalo...that a double gun?

yep..... .375 H&H Mag. made in England. can;t remember the name of the gunsmith (other than his first name was Terry). when we were stalking the Cape Buffalo i was, to be honest, terrified. Cape Buffalos are in what is called the "Big 5". or the 5 animals who routinely kill people. when i finally took my shot, my hands were so sweaty my finger slipped off the first trigger and hit the second almost at the same time. the recoil of 2 .375 H&H Mag shells going off sent the Zeiss 10x scope back onto the bridge of my nose. didn;t break it (my nose), but made it hard to reload and get the next 2 shots in. that buffalo took 3 shots (2 from me, right through the shoulder/heart/lungs, and one from the guide from his .30-06 right in the spine) and just stood there and looked at me. took 2 more from me to drop it completely.

anyways, thanks, folks. i haven't seen these pics for like 18 years. kinda cool to look through the looking glass back on yourself as a kid.

- Leo Szilard