Thread: possible TINY on-the-side business

possible TINY on-the-side business

my new system is almost complete.

I have a miniDV camcorder that has aud/vid in. I've already taken a hi8 tape and converted to a vcd. I used pinnacle studio 8 and it did a VERY nice job.

the whole project took about 6 minutes of my time and about 3 hours of computer processing time. I had to re-encode the movie because it was 850megs and I wanted it on one VCD.

I bought a DVD+rw. I am thinking about making some NICE posters up detailing a service to rip camcorder and VHS movies onto DVD+rw. If I include nice case, I figure I can get between $20-$25 a piece for about 15 minutes of labor.

any thoughts?
    Strap It On Whenever It Seems Appropriate

http://www.tomsclan.com

thoughts...
    err it might not be legal with copyrighted content / VHS's / Movies

Originally posted by BaLa
    thoughts...
    err it might not be legal with copyrighted content / VHS's / Movies
    i think he means doing home movies maybe.
    4930K@4.3~32GBGskill~asusX79deluxe~Vega64~240GB-SSD-OS drive~500GB-SSD-scratch~240GB-SSD-thrash~4TB storage~6.4TB-ioMemorycard~Windows 7 pro
    *~ SG stats

Originally posted by the snake
    i think he means doing home movies maybe.
    exactly!!

I would never dream of doing something illegal and attempting to make a profit at it. That's simply asking for trouble.

sounds pretty cool then..
    if you could get ppls to buy your products/stuffs or if there's interests in it..

I'm going to rip a 15 year old camcorder tape for a guy I work with. It's of his wedding. He's rather connected and has worked here at the post office for a long time. I'm not going to charge him, but instead see how happy he is with the product. Also, really understand how much time I'll have to invest in each rip.

SG Enthusiast
    What happens if your VCR eats his wedding tape??

I have thought of doing the same thing for friends and family, but I am very leary of working with the original tapes, especially if they are of important events.

Originally posted by Snuf
    What happens if your VCR eats his wedding tape??

I have thought of doing the same thing for friends and family, but I am very leary of working with the original tapes, especially if they are of important events.
    good point.

I think the chances are slim of that happening. If it does, vcr tapes can easily be fixed with either scotch tape or have it professionally done. Considering the profit margin on such a venture, an occasional professional tape fix would merely be a SMALL cost of doing business.

Of course, I'd ask for the model # of thier DVD player. To ensure that it'll read dvd+r's. Or perhaps make a sample disc, showing if the disc will work and an example of the quality.

any other thoughts?

You could offer to archive their tapes as well. Figure ya drop 120 bucks on a decent sized safe deposit box. Charge 20 bux for a guaranteed SAFE copy. 5 dollars a year afterwards, 10 dollar charge to get it out for em. I'd guess you could store 100-200 dvd-r's in there. Just a thought.
    Tao_Jones Cult Member since 2004
    I gave Miss Manners a Dirty Sanchez, and she LIKED it.

Sounds like a great plan, and even tho there are companies that already to this, you are more convenient and cheaper! More Volume!!

Go make that $$$

disabled account
    With the prices of DVD witers coming down, you will find yourself in competition. Your sevices will benefit technophobes.

As an aside, I have done it for a while as a favor to friends. It can be a bigger pain than you might expect.

shant,
    david
    I want to learn more and more to see as beautiful what is necessary in things; then I shall be one of those who make things beautiful. Amor fati: let that be my love henceforth! I do not want to wage war against what is ugly. I do not want to accuse; I do not even want to accuse those who accuse. Looking away shall be my only negation. And all in all and on the whole: some day I wish to be only a Yes-sayer.

If you have an idea and think you can make it work...then do it! I applaud your entrepreneurship!

Originally posted by nepenthe
    With the prices of DVD witers coming down, you will find yourself in competition. Your sevices will benefit technophobes.

As an aside, I have done it for a while as a favor to friends. It can be a bigger pain than you might expect.

shant,
    david
    that is a VERY, very good point.

perhaps it would be best to NOT hang posters up. I could merely spread via word of mouth. I dont want to over-burden myself.

thanks everyone for the thoughts and encouragement. I dont need the money, thought it would be an interesting experience.

Assembly Required
    Oops!

I read the thread title and thought this would be about LT-73 starting a career as a part-time male prostitute.

My Bad!

Folding Thunder
    Hey zooner, that might be a great idea! Call axtrader, he's been looking for someone to film him and sasquatch during the mating season. It's that time when she beats him against the rocks, ties him upside down and urinates on his wounds.
    He says he lubs it, just wanted to know if i knew anyone who would be brave enough to film this "love scene" of his. Oh, don't ask him about his kids, I was told sasquatch eats her young. I think he's a little peed because he does'nt get any.

Pfffffffffft !

why not, I use to have a Colorado tape drive that I did pretty much the same thing with (except it was backing up computers not movies of course). granted with was the early nineties

Assembly Required
    Originally posted by LT-73
    Hey zooner, that might be a great idea! Call axtrader, he's been looking for someone to film him and sasquatch during the mating season. It's that time when she beats him against the rocks, ties him upside down and urinates on his wounds.
    He says he lubs it, just wanted to know if i knew anyone who would be brave enough to film this "love scene" of his. Oh, don't ask him about his kids, I was told sasquatch eats her young. I think he's a little peed because he does'nt get any.

Pfffffffffft !

Nice comeback, Bitch! BTW, my wife is soooooo gonna whup you like a rented mule when she meets you!

Folding Thunder