Thread: Ditch the digital image forum?

Question Ditch the digital image forum?

Seems like a good idea gone bad. Pictures should be for everyone

There's all but no traffic there. Images posted there aren't being viewed. Questions aren't being answered (long time ago, but still relevant).

Are there really SO many images being posted that they deserve their own forum, or else they'd bog down the general forum?

If someone has a few pictures what's the harm of posting them where the "general" audience will see it? Is that not the purpose of the general forum? We want everyone to see the picture, not just the minute number of people who are visiting the digital image forum.

Just my 2 cents, thank you

Maybe just call it a General Media forum if you aren't going to do away with it totally.
    Respect it.

it would be best to move the digital picture forum back to the general forum.

Pictures are always a nice touch in a thread. Once a week someone will post something new in the digital picture forum.
    Copyright 2005, Brandon_k_W Inc.

Originally posted by Brandon_k_W
    it would be best to move the digital picture forum back to the general forum.

Pictures are always a nice touch in a thread. Once a week someone will post something new in the digital picture forum.
    KA-CHING! That's my point, pictures ARE a nice touch in here.

What's the point in having a picture forum if, in order to get pictures posted there viewed one has to post a thread HERE about the picture thread THERE?

Does the whole population of SG have to hang in the general forum?

I like the idea of different forums. Otherwise, lately, things would float off the front page in the general forum in a few hours with all the peeps posting spam threads for post count.
    The tools of conquest do not necessarily come with bombs and explosions and fallout. There are weapons that are simply thoughts, attitudes, and prejudices to be found only in the minds of men. For the record, prejudices can kill and suspicion can destroy and a thoughtless, frightened search for a scapegoat has a fallout all of its own for the children and the children yet unborn and the pity of it is that these things cannot be confined to the Twilight Zone.

Ahhhhhhhhhhh....

Premium membership has it's benefits.

...formerly the omnipotent UOD

Originally posted by downhill

I like the idea of different forums. Otherwise, lately, things would float off the front page in the general forum in a few hours with all the peeps posting spam threads for post count.
    How does the digital forum equate whatsoever with spamming?

Hardware, software, networking, security...those all make sense. They're dealing with specific areas of computing and having different forums for them is a no-brainer.

Ditto for folding.

But pictures? C'mon. We just want everyone to see the pictures...there's not a whole realm of digital know-how that requires it's own forum.

Built a new subwoofer from scratch? Sweet, I'd love to see it. post it here and everyone will. post it there and...well, they won't.

Originally posted by downhill

The title of the "Digital Imaging" forum needs to be expanded though. Perhaps to just a Digital Media forum, or someghing along those lines. For pictures, movies, audio, whatever.
    Last edited by ScottE; 06-22-03 at 07:08 PM.
    Respect it.

Originally posted by Humboldt
    How does the digital forum equate whatsoever with spamming?

Hardware, software, networking, security...those all make sense. They're dealing with specific areas of computing and having different forums for them is a no-brainer.

Ditto for folding.

But pictures? C'mon. We just want everyone to see the pictures...there's not a whole realm of digital know-how that requires it's own forum.

Built a new subwoofer from scratch? Sweet, I'd love to see it. post it here and everyone will. post it there and...well, they won't.
    Sure we all want to see the pics...and again, not all pics get moved......

Hell I move more software/hardware threads than anything else. And from folk who have been here a very long time and know better.

Keep in mind that my post here isn't any kind of an offical sanction for or against..it's just my opinion...

Again, not all pic threads get moved. We've covered this before. Some get moved simply because of what they are...some stay simply because they are related to general fourm run of the miill threads......some are grey area to be sure.

I'll post pics of the sub when I get the rest of the details finished. I don't have a digital camera and didn't take pics of the assembly.
    The tools of conquest do not necessarily come with bombs and explosions and fallout. There are weapons that are simply thoughts, attitudes, and prejudices to be found only in the minds of men. For the record, prejudices can kill and suspicion can destroy and a thoughtless, frightened search for a scapegoat has a fallout all of its own for the children and the children yet unborn and the pity of it is that these things cannot be confined to the Twilight Zone.

Here's my take on things since the rules are interpreted differently by members and moderators alike.

If you post a picture or a series of pictures to just post a pic...then it belongs in the digital imaging forum.

If you are going to post a pic to accent a story or a problem...then it belongs in the subject area that you are addressing.

Let's say I have a mobo problem and I can't figure out what revision it is.

So I post a pic along with my question in the hardware forum.

See how it works?

Look at Dakota for example. What he does is ART! He deserves to have his own place to post those beautiful pics. Putting them in the Gen forum is thread suicide......it's like DH says, they get buried with all the useless spam postings.

This is the way it should work.

...formerly the omnipotent UOD

SpeedFreak
    I use it heh

Originally posted by Banshee
    I use it heh
    same here i always checkout what is posted in there, have to remember that some peoples are on dial up and they may not want to wait for some threads to load when they are bogged down with many photos.
    4930K@4.3~32GBGskill~asusX79deluxe~r9-280x~240GB-SSD-OS drive~500GB-SSD-scratch~240GB-SSD-thrash~2TB storage~Windows 7 pro
    *~ SG stats ~my stats

Blog Entries
    Everyone has a point... As downhill and UOD already stated, the forums' intention is to have longer-lasting threads that are about some specific topic of interest, rather than being lost within the general forums in a few hours... If your thread is not specifically about images/video, etc., then it probably does not belong there.

I believe each has its place. Still I've expanded the title to "Digital Media" as suggested...

Moving this thread to the "Feedback & Suggestiions" forum
    Linux is user friendly, it's just picky about its friends...
    Disclaimer: Please use caution when opening messages, my grasp on reality may have shaken loose during transmission (going on rusty memory circuits).
    ๑۩۞۩๑

Hi Philip

Just a suggestion.

downhill, I actually mis-interpreted your statement as saying that letting people post pictures in the general forum would allow them to spam it up more. doh

You do have a good point.

change the digital image forum in to "the babe forum" it will get more traffic.

calling it digital media sounds good, add music to it so ppl's home made stuff isnt dropped pages down in teh gen forum

Originally posted by KeiferDuck
    change the digital image forum in to "the babe forum" it will get more traffic.

Indeed.