Thread: Hard drive wipe

Hard drive wipe

I'm getting ready to remove an old HD out of my computer and install a new one, and want to wipe the data on the old one before I take it out. (It's the 2nd HD/slave).

Any recommendations on software, preferrably a free download to wipe it with ? I'd like a windows based one, not DOS.

Thanks folks !
    "We do not inherit the Earth from our parents, we borrow it from our children."

Asus P5Q-E LGA 775 / Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale / Artic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro / NVIDIA GTX650 Ti Boost / Corsair Dominator 8GB DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) / Corsair CMPSU-650TX / Asus 20X DRW-2014L1T / Klipsch 4.1 / Creative Sound Blaster Z / Crucial MX100 CT512MX100SSD1 2.5" 512GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive / Too many hard drives to mention.....

I like BCwipe or PGP's wipe function.
    She's presenting like a mandrill!

whats wrong with the built-in windows disk management? Are you wanting to resize a bunch of partitions or something?
    "Nobody's invincible, no plan is foolproof, We all must meet our moment of truth." - Guru

I would expect a Dos based app to wipe better than a windows based one.
    Get an app that wipes to the defence standard. (whatever that standard number is) Usually need to wipe it 7 times.

It's Dos, but it's good, and free http://www.killdisk.com/

This is the best free hard drive wiper, use it after a format.

Use the DOS version because only a DOS wiper can truely erase the contents of the swap file, which may contain info that you may want to get rid of completely. Wiping apps that run from windows may not entirely wipe the swap file and may even open other security holes.
    No one has any right to force data on you
    and command you to believe it or else.
    If it is not true for you, it isn't true.

LRH