Thread: Mowing the lawn

R.I.P. 2017-10-02 Joint Chiefs of Staff's Avatar

Mowing the lawn

Well I purchased this puppy two weeks ago but I'm telling ya it still takes me almost 4 hours of straight cutting to finish my lawn.

So, remember my wifes uncle Lawrence who was in the hospital 2 months ago for heart surgery? Well, he was out and about and decided to stop by this morning and visit us.

I had the mower out all ready to go and he just chuckled. I asked him what he was giggling about and he said look at your mower and the size of lawn you have to cut (2 acres of grass).

He looked at my van and saw it had a trailer hitch on it and he said get in your van and follow me....so I did. He lives 15 minutes away and when I pulled up to his place there it was in all it's glory. THE riding lawn mower sitting on a trailer. lol

He said it's yours for the taking but all I had to do was put gas in it. He told me when I wasn't home he would drop it off at my house every two weeks and have one of his sons cut it for Jen.

I was thrilled. Not to mention the act of kindness still amazes me with people.

I'm telling you all just sitting on the mower was like a pure wave of laziness rolling over me.

I was actually looking forward to battle the black flies and too break a good sweat lugging the full bags of clippings off to the composite pile. lol

Now, considering how this mower does the job (19.5 HP Craftsman) I'll consider buying one.
    >>Cult Master of International Affairs<<

Blog Entries
    Hi JCOS

Small world man, i had exactly the same Toro as you. A little older.

I moved here 7 1/2 years ago and brought it with me. Two years i did my 100' x 150' lot with it. It worked great as always, i didn't

I'd even bent a Metal Clothes Hangar into an " S " shape and but it around the push bar and was able to slide it under the Cutoff Release handle so i didn't have to hang onto it all the time, or if i stopped to pick up something it didn't shut off.

Finally Enough!

I bought a 16.5 Sears model Riding Mower. Man night and day difference.

I can do the yard in 1 1/2 hrs now as opposed to 4 with the old one.

You go fast enough to afford most of the bugs as well.

The only bad part here is the ground is sand and on dry days you come in covered in dust, as well as driving in it. I hit the shower and the Black just runs off.

Enjoy your New Toy

Sounds like Nice folks there. The beauty of the Maritimes Eh Boy!

regards

minir

Originally posted by minir
    Hi JCOS

Small world man, i had exactly the same Toro as you. A little older.

I moved here 7 1/2 years ago and brought it with me. Two years i did my 100' x 150' lot with it. It worked great as always, i didn't

I'd even bent a Metal Clothes Hangar into an " S " shape and but it around the push bar and was able to slide it under the Cutoff Release handle so i didn't have to hang onto it all the time, or if i stopped to pick up something it didn't shut off.

Finally Enough!

I bought a 16.5 Sears model Riding Mower. Man night and day difference.

I can do the yard in 1 1/2 hrs now as opposed to 4 with the old one.

You go fast enough to afford most of the bugs as well.

The only bad part here is the ground is sand and on dry days you come in covered in dust, as well as driving in it. I hit the shower and the Black just runs off.

Enjoy your New Toy

Sounds like Nice folks there. The beauty of the Maritimes Eh Boy!

regards

minir
    Thanks for twisting my arm. *looking at mastercard and outside at mower*

I'm just finishing another Tim's before heading out to go play. hehe

Maritimers....boy you ain't kidding. Lots and lots of good folks down-home here. I'd doing anything for these people. They sure accepted me but as for my wife she's already a Cape Bretoner so they say if I'm good enough for her, I'm good enough for them.

Blog Entries
    Hi JCOS

Hit Sears, put it on the Never, Never Plan and twist their arm for a Free Extended Warranty. I'm not a big one on Warranties, but i live 35 miles from the Service Shop so i took the 1 year which just ran out.

They made me a Deal, buy 1 year and the 2nd & 3rd were free.

They did this figuring i would keep the Finance Chgs going and they would make it up there. Well i paid it off 2 months later. I used to work their and knew a few angles.

Well they come Service the Sucker and i've scored 4 extra Blades as they just replace them rather than resharpen, also a Battery. I now have lots of Pre Sharpened Backups.

Now i will do my own Service.

Have Fun, i'm off to the Local Dump to get rid of my Garbage, then into the little Town to pickup some Munches and PC Mag.

See you in a bit

regards

minir

Hi JCOS

Hit Sears, put it on the Never, Never Plan and twist their arm for a Free Extended Warranty. I'm not a big one on Warranties, but i live 35 miles from the Service Shop so i took the 1 year which just ran out.

They did this figuring i would keep the Finance Chgs going and they would make it up there. Well i paid it off 2 months later. I used to work their and knew a few angles.

Well they come Service the Sucker and i've scored 4 extra Blades as they just replace them rather than resharpen, also a Battery. I now have lots of Pre Sharpened Backups.

Have Fun, i'm off to the Local Dump to get rid of my Garbage, then into the little Town to pickup some Munches and PC Mag.

See you in a bit

regards

minir
    Hey thanks for heads up. All I have is a little Sears receiving station for deliveries...not sales station but if I drive to Halifax (5 hours) I can do it there and if your up to it, negotiate the sales.

Have a good trip into town and ya sure it's only a PC mag your buying? lol

Folding Thunder
    Hey jcos, that's a kewl lil mower bud! Bet you'll have loads of fun mowing the lawn in the hot summer heat

Originally posted by LT-73
    Hey jcos, that's a kewl lil mower bud! Bet you'll have loads of fun mowing the lawn in the hot summer heat

but on a side note I won't be home in the summer heat...all 75 degress of it here. lol

Looks good! I'd love to have a riding mower myself. Currently I have a LawnBoy....it's one hell of a mower. Thing takes a beating and keeps on going! Hell I even accidently left some gas in it over the winter...the damn thing fired right up....woot!!!

Originally posted by Joint Chiefs of Staff

...all 75 degress of it here. lol
    Damn...it will be close to 98 or so very very soon in OKC

Originally posted by John
    JCOS,

If you buy a craftsman, pay the $300 and get the warranty where they fix stuff for free/free tuneups for 3-4 years.

My warranty cost like $325 and I racked up over $5k in free tuneups and fixes over the 3 years. Well worth it.
    Cool and thanks for the advice. I usually get warranties especially if I'm gonna pay over $1500 for something.

Sounds like a bargain to me.

Originally posted by fastchevy
    Damn...it will be close to 98 or so very very soon in OKC
    From what I've been told and experienced in the past, that's a mild spring day in OKC.

Originally posted by Joint Chiefs of Staff
    From what I've been told and experienced in the past, that's a mild spring day in OKC.
    JCOS...sure feels like it sometimes. But IMO it's much better than waking up to slush, sleet, and snow 80% of the year...

Originally posted by fastchevy
    JCOS...sure feels like it sometimes. But IMO it's much better than waking up to slush, sleet, and snow 80% of the year...
    It's more like 60% of the year.

Folding Thunder
    Ratz! You take the fun out of it!

Certified SG Addict
    I think all women should...it really makes things easier.

Originally posted by Burke
    I think all women should...it really makes things easier.
    Speaking of women- Keep them off of the tractor! Mine went and bent the blade, punctured the tire, and did something to the steering (It won't turn to the right) all in one day! Yesterday.
    Last edited by blebs; 06-14-03 at 02:59 PM.

Originally posted by blebs99
    Speaking of women- Keep them off of the tractor! Mine went and bent the blade, punctured the tire, and did something to the steering (It won't turn to the rigtht) all in one day! Yesterday.

Sorry to hear that

Hi JCOS

See you in a bit

regards

minir

Minir, I think you are the coolest person I know. And I don't ever really know ya! Anyhow, great plan!
    NCTI - Certified
    SCTE--Member
    Specialized cable fixxer upper

I mowed the lawn at 5:00 this morning

... what? oh, you mean the yard - like grass and stuff - I did that at 10:00

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Originally posted by Claude_Ballz
    I mowed the lawn at 5:00 this morning

... what? oh, you mean the yard - like grass and stuff - I did that at 10:00
    LOL ...morning wood??