Thread: Movie Reviews & Recomendations

Movie Reviews & Recomendations

I can't believe this has not been posted. I saw that somebody asked for some movies to rent, but it seems like we should have a movie review and recomendation thread for those trips to the movie store when we don't want to spend an hour trying to decide what to rent. I do have a little bit of webspace from my isp I should get going, If I get enough responses I will post a page of movie listings. I would try and organize it a bit and have different peoples opinion about each movie.
    (Disclaimer: I have been drinking, and this offer may get rescinded if I wake up in time and don't get taken up on the offer)

Baghdad Cafe: Great flick, slow but trippy enough with enough of a message to keep you interested

A perfect World: Good flick with a classic anti-hero

Passion Fish: Allright, mellow movie that addresses alcoholism, and growth (could be considered a chick flick, mentioned because I own it and saw it on the shelf)

Willow: Classic fantasy movie, good for some kids

Princess Bride: Great kid flick for everyone

Legends: Early Tom Cruise, good fantasy flick for the kids, and worth wtching on a rainy day for most adults.

Mugsy Malone: Since I am talking about kids flicks, Gangster kids shooting pie tommy guns (Jodie Foster and others when they were kids)

City of Lost Children: Not for young kids. Very interesting movie, hard to describe. Almost the same feel as Brasil and Delicatessin, but I liked it a lot more. (Please get the subtitled version and not dubbed, and has to be widescreen)

Le Femme Nikita : Subtitled, widescreen. Not for kids. Great action flick. Drug addict turned into government hitwoman.

The Long Kiss Goodnight: Allright, but seems like a rip-off of Le Femme Nikita.

The Professional: Great action flick. Shoot if you like FPS games you should see this, not sure how else to describe it.

Wizards: (animation), classic, NOT FOR KIDS

The original Suburbia: I have not seen the new one don't know if it is any good. The original is a great low budget film covering the punk scene, well not really but sort of.

Dolls: Horror, almost. Great C movie horror flick with a message

The People Under The Stairs: Cheese ball, not sure whether they
    are trying to spoof themselves or not but amusing none the less.

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England

Re: Movie Reviews & Recomendations

Originally posted by De Plano
    The Professional: Great action flick. Shoot if you like FPS games you should see this, not sure how else to describe it.
    Jean Reno....two thumbs up from me for his work in that flick. Touching movie with that little girl (Matilda ?). I don't think of it as that much of an action flick, a few scenes in it, but it's not Rambo like or anything.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Blog Entries
    Hi De Plano

You might try

http://www.allmovie.com/

They also have Allmusic as well. You can look by Person, Movie etc. It's pretty good and the works already done for you

regards

minir

Jackass the Movie
    A Knight's Tale
    Gone in 60 seconds
    The Shining
    IT
    Both Matrix Movies
    Ghostship
    Legally Blonde
    Bad Boyz
    Girls Gone Wild any edition
    Pet Cemetary
    Children of the Corn

All excellent flicks. I'll post more as they come to me

I watched tears of the sun last night, stars Bruce Willis. Not a bad movie, definitely worth renting. Action.
    My son ... ask for thyself another internet connection, for that which I leave is too slow for thee

Oh yeah, and De Plano, Willow is a pretty good movie but you forgot to mention the hot redhead in it

Hot Swordweilding redhead at that!
    My son ... ask for thyself another internet connection, for that which I leave is too slow for thee

Re: Movie Reviews & Recomendations

Originally posted by De Plano
    I'd have to recommend Leon over The Professional. Besson was "forced" to cut Leon into The Professional for US audiences, as they felt it moved too slow for an "action" movie, and that American audiences would have a problem with a 40-something (?) hitman having a relationship with a twelve (?) year old girl. The full cut of the movie definately fleshes out a few things, and even includes another action scene.

Both are (thankfully) available on DVD in the US.

I'll probably refrain from posting anything myself here though.