Thread: Network Printer Install and logon script permission rights? s2k3

Network Printer Install and logon script permission rights? s2k3

Ok, I have a office grade multifunction copy/fax/print machine ran into a switch which is connected to my s2k3 server. This copier was previously installed on a NT4 server. The only way I can get it to work is 'add a printer' and put the mapping in for how it used to be on the old server(and it works cause the old server is still hooked up as well... but I need to get it working off of the new server... Never really did a network printer install other than w/ jetdirect print servers that pretty much install themselves....

I have a drivers cd, and i loaded the drivers on the server for the clients, but when i go to add a network printer and browse, i can only find the printer attached to the jetdirect box... what am i missing?

Also, for the one on the jet direct box, i have a logon script that runs, but it wont allow clients to install the printer because 'access denied'. On the default domain policy, i went in a disabled the setting for blocking clients from installing print drivers, but it still doesnt work.... Any ideas?
    --
    Brad

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Is that multifunction printer also a TCP printer?

On 2K, TCP printers are treated as a local printer, when you click on "Add Printer", I leave "local printer" checked, but remove the checkmark for auto detect. Then, on the next page, select "Create a new port", on the drop down menu, select "Standard TCP port"...then next you'll get to the spot when you configure the TCP address. On devices such as external jet direct boxes where you can't program the MIO's IP address like an internal jet direct card in something like an HP laserjet 4000n, I still use the makers latest software, like jet admin. Once the printer is captured on the server, I share it out, and all clients use the printer via UNC...such as \\servername\printersharename. Having all clients print directly to a TCP printer can flood a network with traffic (HP jet direct is very chatty, esp if installed on all workstations), and often lead to hosed printer jobs if several peeps send large print jobs at the same time. Having them all print to the server lets the server do part of it's job...capture all the print jobs and spool them/manage them.

Does this multifunction device not have drivers for 2K3 server yet?

I don't understand what you mean when you say "I have a drivers cd, and i loaded the drivers on the server for the clients, but when i go to add a network printer and browse, i can only find the printer attached to the jetdirect box... what am i missing?"

..do you have two printers you're trying to setup?
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Well, I was just being dumb.. I didnt understand that it was wanting me to say local printer and then share it... so my bad, thanks YOSC, its installed now, and printed a test page from the server, i just havent tested from a client yet, but i am sure its ok... I have only installed older printers hooked up to jetdirect boxes before(and they set themselves up off the cd pretty much) so I just wasnt experienced enough to do it i guess...

One thing I am confused about is on the old server had it configured for ip 192.168.1.234, what if i want to change that? I have 192.168.1.234.1-20 reserved for servers, printers, etc... so i'd like to put that one in there so this serup is a little more 'uniform'

Also, how do you setup printers that are attached to a client computer? I cant get it to show up in 'entire network' when i search. Thanks again.
    --
    Brad

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Originally posted by super20g

One thing I am confused about is on the old server had it configured for ip 192.168.1.234, what if i want to change that? I have 192.168.1.234.1-20 reserved for servers, printers, etc... so i'd like to put that one in there so this serup is a little more 'uniform'

Also, how do you setup printers that are attached to a client computer? I cant get it to show up in 'entire network' when i search. Thanks again.
    You can change the IP of the jet direct printers pretty easily.

1) Telnet to the existing IP, log on, change it there.
    2) Use Jet Admin, or Web Admin, software to search for them via current IP, or MAC...and make changes there.
    3) Printer with internal print cards, that have a menu button and LCD screen...can program in internal card right from the printer.

I prefer to static IP all print servers, as letting them obtain via DHCP can lead to disconnected printers once in a while...not as reliable as a fixed IP.

Client computer...add printer, browse to server and it's shares. Must be properly shared to domain users from the server.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!