Thread: First time system build attempt...how hard is it???

Question First time system build attempt...how hard is it???

Thinking about putting my own system together...never done this before...how difficult is it?

i built the one in my sig and it was easy...unless you count the not knowing of the hard drive jumpers n the small stuff, but thats one of the reasons SpeedGuide is here, a mass of knowledge to help you and I through the problems we come up with to help us have the best system we can come up with...*gets down off soap box*
    oh yeah Plus...it will keep you from getting ripped off like duct tape covering a band aid thats stuck to the scab in winter time... lol (dont know where that came from)...cus if you put it together you know whats inside, i paid 1500 bux for a sys that i should of only paid like $900 for, didnt get anything i wanted but didnt know till it was too late....so there ya go...one more good reason to build it.
    and besides...youve got the best Tech Support in the world...or did i mention that already?

Bone
    Last edited by Bastid; 06-06-03 at 06:00 PM.
    Every normal man must be tempted at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
    I often wonder if the voices in my head ever get frustrated because I'm just too damn lazy to climb that clock tower.
    Click image to enlarge
    click image to view full version

Toms hardware has an excelent article on this subject. It's hard for me to say because I do electronics for a living. It's pretty straight forward. You will really learn alot in the process and be able to build it for your needs. I say do some research and build away. You gotta learn some day if you're curious. We'll help you out here in any way, should you run into a problem.
    Good luck.

It's pretty easy to do if you just read the manuel it's basically just plug in whereever the hell it fits. I built my first rig when I was 10 a slow P-120 been building all my other ones since then, only one I didn't build was a IBM 486/DX back in '91 with it's 14000baud(sp?) modem and 5 1/2" floppy drive spent $2g's on this beast back then
    "I was once banned from a bookstore for moving all the bibles to fiction"

deleted_acct
    Yeh just like dud89 said its not hard i mean it plugs into where it fits, i built my first last summer, had no problems at all. I guarante you can do it.

There you go X, go for it.

Take your old one apart, every piece of it. Then put it back together. That's a good way to start.

Originally posted by Norm
    Take your old one apart, every piece of it. Then put it back together. That's a good way to start.
    Thats a great way to start! I still do it from time to time. The best advice I can give you is to be organized! Lay everything out and make a plan. Build it in your head first.

I take mine apart (including CDROMs, and PSU) every six months or so to clean everything inside out. Great experience. It helps me be quick at it like the guys that do builds all day in a store.

Micron used to hire high school kids in the summer to assemble puters. Most would put one together in about a half hour.

Thats not including installing the software, but my point is, it's really pretty easy to put one together if your paying attention to what your doing.
    The tools of conquest do not necessarily come with bombs and explosions and fallout. There are weapons that are simply thoughts, attitudes, and prejudices to be found only in the minds of men. For the record, prejudices can kill and suspicion can destroy and a thoughtless, frightened search for a scapegoat has a fallout all of its own for the children and the children yet unborn and the pity of it is that these things cannot be confined to the Twilight Zone.

I may finally try to do it this summer.... not sure. Need a little more money first. It sure seems easy enough when you look at the steps, but there's still a lot of picky little things that I don't know. I'd like to learn by taking mine apart, but it's my ONLY computer..... so.... if I messed up I wouldn't be able to ask you guys what the hell I did wrong and how to fix it.

Here's some building links:

Maximum PC

Tom's

Motherboards.org

Hardest part is waiting for your package to arrive. It sucks.