Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Going to be fighting/Point Sparring on Sunday!

Going to be fighting/Point Sparring on Sunday!

Wish us luck! The whole family is signed up for Forms and Sparring on the 8th (Sunday) ... I'll post pics!! maybe a video too!

Anyone ever point spar? Any tips or suggestions? TIA
    Quote Originally Posted by The Devil
    Tolerance is a virtue, not a requirement.
    SG Theme Song

Re: Going to be fighting/Point Sparring on Sunday!

Originally posted by EvilAngel
    Wish us luck! The whole family is signed up for Forms and Sparring on the 8th (Sunday) ... I'll post pics!! maybe a video too!

Anyone ever point spar? Any tips or suggestions? TIA

Don't hold back
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Stephen Hawking

Dont be angery and Know you will do your very best

GL
    Cancer Baaaaaad! Folding Goooood!

Re: Re: Going to be fighting/Point Sparring on Sunday!

Originally posted by jeremyboycool
    Don't hold back
    Unfortunatly I have to... I can make contact but no punches to the face or kicks to the head....yet...
    SG Theme Song

Originally posted by Set
    Dont be angery and Know you will do your very best

GL
    My adrenilian pumps hard when I spar... no matter who it is. I look at every situation like it's my life/health on the line. So in a sence I do my very best all the time ... Good advice bro

This will be my first tournement and in three weeks I will be trying out for my Orange Belt.

I was also asked to be an instructor for lower ranks but I really don't think that I'm going to do it because I got too many responcibilities at home at the present time. Maybe in the future though

I was stoked when my sinse pulled my out of class and said " The Master wanted to know if you would like to attent the masters clinic and teach some classes" Man I was stunned.
    SG Theme Song

Originally posted by John
    I am impressed with your level of commitment and achievement, John. Keep it up, have a good time, and congratulations!
    Thank you sir. When something is fun it's very easy to obtain a commitment
    SG Theme Song

Which martial art form are you studying?

I don't know to much about anyone one in particular so I don't know if point sparring is unique to one type.
    "There is a big difference between breaking the law and having a law designed to break you. We will not be broken." -- Jinny Simms

"On the street everything is legal! I don't believe in an eye for an eye, I believe in 2 eyes for an eye." -- Bas Rutten

Originally posted by *cho*
    Which martial art form are you studying?

I don't know to much about anyone one in particular so I don't know if point sparring is unique to one type.
    I am studying Jui-Jitsu/Akido/Judo, mostly Karate (Kata) though.
    Best thing I have done formyself... lost 33lbs so far and self confidence is rising on as daily event. No so much that I am studying a Martial Art but more so for my mental welfare.
    SG Theme Song

Cool

Thanks for the info.

I keep looking into learning a form of Kung Fu or Kenpo but I just don't have the time to fully commit and I don't want to join unless I can commit.

Best of Luck this sunday, and remember to post a pic of the trophy.
    "There is a big difference between breaking the law and having a law designed to break you. We will not be broken." -- Jinny Simms

"On the street everything is legal! I don't believe in an eye for an eye, I believe in 2 eyes for an eye." -- Bas Rutten

That or some nice injury to show off...hmmm...maybe that's not such a good idea...
    The One, The Only, The GOOG!!

To know is sublime, to not know is extravagent!!

Registered User therealcableguy's Avatar
    Watch and Learn.Seems obvious but people tend to get caught up in the excitement.You'll find that the basics are what wins.Backfists,reverse punches to the body,and lead leg kicks to the body are the big point getters.Stick to the basics and watch the Black Belt division.Watch their techiques and what they use to score.Good luck.

Blog Entries
    Hi EvilAngel

Good Luck to You & the Family John

Keep Your Chin Tucked In & Have Fun

regards

minir

Point sparring is all about speed. Reverse punch to the body is easiest way to score. Forget the legs unless using them to keep your oppenent back away from you. Backknuckel reverse punch is by far the most basic but effective combo you can do. Good luck and bring home the trophy.

Chim
    Kinky is using a feather.
    Perverted is using the whole chicken.

In a dry but moldy New Orleans, Louisiana
    I used to spar with a friend of mine that was a semi-pro kick boxer. I quit after a while because I got tired of getting my ass kicked, all I was, was a moving punching bag for him.

That little SOB was so fast that he could punch me twice and then kick me before I knew what was happening. That and the fact we were on top of a flat roof in the summer, damn it used to get really f'ing hot when we were sparring!

That is awesome EA !

I took karate for awhile when I was younger, but quit right before taking my exam for the orange belt. I had the routine down and everything.

I was never able to spar though. Are you doing this at a Y or at a privately owned dojo ? Just curious. Mine was at the Y, which was probably why I couldn't spar.

My dad had studied karate for years and had his brown belt. I saw him spar many times at his classes and WOW... that was awesome to see your own dad kick some ass.

Anyway.. good luck to you and your family and remember to stay alert.

Originally posted by *cho*
    Cool

Thanks for the info.

I keep looking into learning a form of Kung Fu or Kenpo but I just don't have the time to fully commit and I don't want to join unless I can commit.

Best of Luck this sunday, and remember to post a pic of the trophy.
    I guess any form is good. I like Jui-Jitsu cause it shows how to take peoples limbs and torture themselves with their own body parts...lol

Thanks for the well wishes man.

btw, nice to meet ya.
    SG Theme Song

Originally posted by minir
    Hi EvilAngel

Good Luck to You & the Family John

Keep Your Chin Tucked In & Have Fun

regards

minir
    THank you Larry!
    SG Theme Song

Originally posted by therealcableguy
    Watch and Learn.Seems obvious but people tend to get caught up in the excitement.You'll find that the basics are what wins.Backfists,reverse punches to the body,and lead leg kicks to the body are the big point getters.Stick to the basics and watch the Black Belt division.Watch their techiques and what they use to score.Good luck.
    I have been working on all those tips you've given me.... My best point maker is my side blade kick to the chest or floating ribs and my backward knuckle punch to the side of the head with a real quick thrust punch following immediatly after .

I have learned so far, not to wait for the opponent to strike first... attack when there is a shot. I have won the last 10 bouts in the studio...3-0 undefeted... I also sparred the higher ranks (Blue-Purple-Orange) which I feel I learn alot more alot quicker as well.

I sparred a guy wednday night that while free sparring he was throwing out this hellofa mean hook kick.... damn it was sweet! He about knocked my head gear off about 2 times with that kick...lol
    SG Theme Song

Always remember it is "self defense" not 'self offense'.

Defend yourself at all cost, and the opponent won't make any points. You will see openings, take them, and make the points.

Don't think about what you have to do, just do it.

Stay away from fancy moves and high kicks, they can slow you down, and put you off balance. Short snappy strikes are better

Use trickery as well. Fool your opponent into leaving openings.

Sounds like you're doing very well EA, congrats.

Kick behind and take numbers!!

Good luck, EA! We're pulling for you and the family.

P.S.....are you sure it's a good idea for Kitten to learn the fine art of kicking your butt? LOL
    The tools of conquest do not necessarily come with bombs and explosions and fallout. There are weapons that are simply thoughts, attitudes, and prejudices to be found only in the minds of men. For the record, prejudices can kill and suspicion can destroy and a thoughtless, frightened search for a scapegoat has a fallout all of its own for the children and the children yet unborn and the pity of it is that these things cannot be confined to the Twilight Zone.