Thread: Softball rules question...

Blog Entries

Softball rules question...

Ran into a situation tonight that was a little grey ruling wise...

Bases loaded, the player at bat is walked. The runner at third, on the way home, misses the plate and walks off to the dug out. Someone shouts out that she missed the plate and walks back to tag it...

Now the question is, can the opposing team tag that runner out? Or is it a freebie, since she was walked in?
    ------
    “The most beautiful thing we can experience in life is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: for his eyes are closed.” - Albert Einstein

Yes, they could have tagged her out if they got her before she got to tag the base.
    Have your feelings been hurt by a random act of E-Thuggery? If so, call 1-800-Waaaaahmbulance, we're here 24 hrs a day, 7 days a week, to take your call, you could be due a large monetary settlement, don't delay, call now.

"Please be careful prior to entering the world wide web, the internet is serious business"

Originally posted by Prey521
    Yes, they could have tagged her out if they got her before she got to tag the base.

Blog Entries
    Thanks guys...that's what I thought, but just wanted to back it up....
    ------
    “The most beautiful thing we can experience in life is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: for his eyes are closed.” - Albert Einstein

Actually, my understanding of that rule is that since she left the field of play (she went to the dugout) she is not allowed to return to the field. Therefore, there are two possibilities. The team in the field could touch home plate while holding the ball, which would cause her to be out, or the pitcher could pitch to the next hitter, which would make the run stand.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Waferdog

Canadian, eh... you hoser lewis's Avatar
    Eh, every league has there own rules for this. If she did go into the dug out, she is out, for leaving the field of play. If not, well I don't know.

In our league, we are out if we tag the home plate. (For the safety of the back-catcher being run over by a 250 pound guy.)

i dont think they can tag her. the rule is on a walk, all forced runners are allowed one free base. she never took that free base yet, therefore she cant be tagged.

but on the other hand

if she left the field of play without touching the base, then she is automatically called out. (or entered designated dugout area)

now....

how the hell do you miss a base walking to it. LOL

Originally posted by monkeyhead
    now....

how the hell do you miss a base walking to it. LOL

she

Respect it.