Thread: replacing an alternator ...

replacing an alternator ...

What is the best way to go about replacing an alternator ? MW and his brother (mechanics) have advised me that my alternator is what is probably messing my car up.

Should I go to a regular mechanic and have them order/install the alternator ? Should I buy my own and have a family member/friend put it in ? Should I look for a new one or go to a salvage yard ?

Thoughts ?

The car is a 1995 Nissan Sentra GLE with the original alternator (I am pretty sure of that).

Thank you.

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    They're easy enough to replace if you wish to tackle it yourself. Not too expensive because often the auto-shop you get one from will knock off the price if you bring your bad one in...they use that to rebuild. I wouldn't get one from a salvage yard, as new ones aren't really expensive, and you never know how long the one from the yard will last. Getting a remanufactured one is better.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

I'm a total car noob and I replaced my alternator all by my lonesome, easier than it looks, at least on a Cutlass
    Have your feelings been hurt by a random act of E-Thuggery? If so, call 1-800-Waaaaahmbulance, we're here 24 hrs a day, 7 days a week, to take your call, you could be due a large monetary settlement, don't delay, call now.

"Please be careful prior to entering the world wide web, the internet is serious business"

R.I.P. 2017-10-02 Joint Chiefs of Staff's Avatar
    Originally posted by Prey521
    I'm a total car noob and I replaced my alternator all by my lonesome, easier than it looks, at least on a Cutlass with fuzzy dice and mink pelt on the dash
    >>Cult Master of International Affairs<<

buy another from junkyard do it yourself ( prolly just 3 bolts)

I was going to post a link to that thread, but the SG search results for "bullsh|t" were too numerous

sometimes you have to think outside the box to get inside the box .

Originally posted by Joint Chiefs Of Staff

LMAO!!! You smart ass
    Have your feelings been hurt by a random act of E-Thuggery? If so, call 1-800-Waaaaahmbulance, we're here 24 hrs a day, 7 days a week, to take your call, you could be due a large monetary settlement, don't delay, call now.

"Please be careful prior to entering the world wide web, the internet is serious business"

Yeah I bet you could do it yourself. I'm not sure where you usually get your auto parts, but I called Autozone and if yours has the 1.6L engine, an alternator will run ya $125.99 plus exchange...of course that's here in Oklahoma so it could be higher....and WILL be higher if you go to dealer to get the part. Don't do that...Autozone and other places have lifetime warranty parts so you're good to go.

Good luck.

Pretty easy you just unplug the battery. Then disconect the the alternator from the electrical stuff, then disconect the alternator ground. Then loosen up the bolts and relieve the belt tension. Then remove the bolts and take the old alternator out. Then reverse the process to put the new one in.
    Respect it.

buy another from junkyard do it yourself ( prolly just 3 bolts)
    Not a good idea to do that.
    Alternaters are fairly cheap. Pull of the existing alternator and take it to your local Precision Alternator store. (they sell to garages and the public too). Or go to a similar automotive store. They can even test it to verify if indeed that is what is wrong w/ your car. It shouldn't take more than a half hor to an hour to remove an dinstall a new alternator.

Junkyard alternators are only worth it if need a model no longer being manufactured. Plus junkyard alternators do not get tested to see if good or not.
    No one has any right to force data on you
    and command you to believe it or else.
    If it is not true for you, it isn't true.

LRH

I am getting an alternator from my in law. He owns the salvage yard and he's getting it from another yard. It'll cost me around $30 or so. He said he saw one for $50 on their exchange program, but he'll be able to get it for me for CHEAP.

Yeah ! Now I'll have to figure out how to install it.

Originally posted by mountainman
    If you just stare at the engine a bit, it'll come to you. If it has a serpentine belt, you may have to stare longer.
    "Mr President, you have big balls" - Dominica prime minister Eugenia Charles to Ronald Reagan after the invasion of Grenada, 1983

"We win and they lose. What do you think of that?" - Ronald Reagan, 1977

Originally posted by poptom
    If you just stare at the engine a bit, it'll come to you. If it has a serpentine belt, you may have to stare longer.

yeah after a few shocks you should catch on
    "The way to be safe is never to be secure."

Originally posted by mountainman

See directions above.
    Respect it.

Do as agentbeast said. You will need a couple of metric wrenches.

Disconnect the battery first at the negative terminal. It will be the fat black wire that goes to the car structure. Not the red one that goes to the starter.

The wires to the alternator may just have a plug but if they are individual connections, mark them first. One will go to A, the other to F. If the alternator has a built-in regulator, there will be a wire to the battery and a ground wire instead.

There is no shock hazard because it's low voltage.
    "Mr President, you have big balls" - Dominica prime minister Eugenia Charles to Ronald Reagan after the invasion of Grenada, 1983

"We win and they lose. What do you think of that?" - Ronald Reagan, 1977