Thread: transfer a casette tape??

transfer a casette tape??

Hi,
    Is there a way I can transfer a casette tape to my computer?
    I know I can play the tape and put a speaker real close to my mic, but would rather directly connect if possible to get rid of any external noises.
    Thanks!
    Louise

Re: transfer a casette tape??

Originally posted by momiam2six
    Hi,
    Is there a way I can transfer a casette tape to my computer?
    I know I can play the tape and put a speaker real close to my mic, but would rather directly connect if possible to get rid of any external noises.
    Thanks!
    Louise
    Yes there is.....

First, go to radio shack and get you a patch cord....it' will have 2 RCA jacks on one end and a dual mini jack on the other..

Next, set your cassette player close to your computer...connect the right and left rca jack to your cassette player, and the mini jack goes into the soundcard input....

Now time for some questions? I'm assuming that you would like them as mp3's?
    The tools of conquest do not necessarily come with bombs and explosions and fallout. There are weapons that are simply thoughts, attitudes, and prejudices to be found only in the minds of men. For the record, prejudices can kill and suspicion can destroy and a thoughtless, frightened search for a scapegoat has a fallout all of its own for the children and the children yet unborn and the pity of it is that these things cannot be confined to the Twilight Zone.

Thanks Downhill.
    Do you have any clue what that will cost?
    can I just move the stereo system itself, and not have to bother with the speakers?
    Mp3 or wav will be fine. I have a sound recorder, so could just use that to record right?
    It is not music, it is a tape of the Bible study done tonight about the end times, that I want to share with some online friends, so while quality is important it is not like I need mp3 quality for burning or jammin to or anything.
    Thanks a ton!
    Louise

Originally posted by momiam2six
    Thanks Downhill.
    Do you have any clue what that will cost?
    can I just move the stereo system itself, and not have to bother with the speakers?
    Mp3 or wav will be fine. I have a sound recorder, so could just use that to record right?
    It is not music, it is a tape of the Bible study done tonight about the end times, that I want to share with some online friends, so while quality is important it is not like I need mp3 quality for burning or jammin to or anything.
    Thanks a ton!
    Louise
    Louise, that patch cord probably runs around 8 bucks. Butyou could probably find a cheaper one somewhere....

It looks something like this.

Since quality isn't an issue, I'd also look at just getting a very long cable to go with it, then you would not need to move your cassette player closer. That part is up to you.

As to what to record with, yes your sound recorder would work fine. Set it to 8 bit, radio quality if that's all you need....that will save harddrive space as a full stereo quality wav is huge. 50 megs for 5 minutes. That's why I brougt up mp3 is all.

Here is Radio Shacks part number..and a link to their site..

http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...5Fid=42%2D2483
    The tools of conquest do not necessarily come with bombs and explosions and fallout. There are weapons that are simply thoughts, attitudes, and prejudices to be found only in the minds of men. For the record, prejudices can kill and suspicion can destroy and a thoughtless, frightened search for a scapegoat has a fallout all of its own for the children and the children yet unborn and the pity of it is that these things cannot be confined to the Twilight Zone.