Thread: for anyone that knows about cars:

Question for anyone that knows about cars:

ok my car isnt starting for some reason this afternoon. It started this morning but now its not. when i turn the key it seems like its going to start it goes vroom vroom, but then it never turns over. anyone know what it could be?? Its a 1999 pontiac grand am SE, if that helps.

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    Well, unfortunately it could be a variety of things without being able to look more. Grand Am...have the 2.5 liter 4cyl "Iron Duke" engine? Those were throttle body fuel injection in the later models...quite reliable.

Ran this morning...so doubt it's wet ignition...hmmm....one thing that can happen if it ran ealier, but not now, is "vapor lock"...twist off your gas cap to relieve any pressure if your system isn't venting properly.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Originally posted by YeOldeStonecat
    Well, unfortunately it could be a variety of things without being able to look more. Grand Am...have the 2.5 liter 4cyl "Iron Duke" engine? Those were throttle body fuel injection in the later models...quite reliable.

Ran this morning...so doubt it's wet ignition...hmmm....one thing that can happen if it ran ealier, but not now, is "vapor lock"...twist off your gas cap to relieve any pressure if your system isn't venting properly.

i have a V6. not a 4 cyl. Ill try that thanks Yosc!

Ahh V-6....the year of your car didn't sink in, I believe they changed the 4 by then also, or may have dropped it. Haven't worked on a recent GM car in a while.

Still the same principles.
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Start with opening the hood and seeing if anything obvious is not right. Whether any plugs are disconnected or something along those lines, haha no pun intended. If you have a clear fuel filter that would be worth checking. Sorry these are just the obvious things I can think of. I still dont feel good, so the brain is stuck in first gear. Good luck, since it happened so fast it sounds like something simple.

ok i checked for anything obvious, checked the oil and other fuids, i found that im pretty low on coolant, could that be the prob? I tried what u suggested YOSC and its still doing the same thing. Any other suggestions?

Your battery is dead. It doesnt have enough amperage and/or voltage to get the motor running

have you tried jump starting it?
    Originally posted by UnitedWeStand Don't go walking up to her and say "I just had a vasectomy wanna celebrate?
    Originally posted by EvilAngel Actually Kitten just got the sonagram done and the doc thought it was twins at first, but soon realized that it was the boys pen1s laying next to him....lol
    Said by XSeanX on AIM I wish girls were a lot easier
    Originally posted by Needlefreak May the fleas of a thousand taliban camels feast happily on your lower region..
    Originally posted by Jim Heart attack on a bun?

Originally posted by TEH WIN
    Your battery is dead. It doesnt have enough amperage and/or voltage to get the motor running

have you tried jump starting it?

doesnt it usually just go "click click click" when u turn the key if ur battery is dead? I"ll have someone to jump it here pretty soon but right now i have no other car to jump it from.

If it sounds like it normally does when you turn it over it is probably not the battery.

Originally posted by Meggie
    doesnt it usually just go "click click click" when u turn the key if ur battery is dead? I"ll have someone to jump it here pretty soon but right now i have no other car to jump it from.
    Click click of the solenoid doesn't have enough juice to kick over to the flywheel. If it has enough to hit the flywheel, yet your battery is still low...then you hear a really slow turning over sound. Does your sound unusually slow? Or turning over normal speed?
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Can you smell fuel or see it dripping under the hood, Meggie?
    What YOS said as well. Does the motor seem to be turning over slower than usual?

Croc.
    Croc.
    It will be long, it will be hard and there will be no withdrawal.
    Winston Churchill
    Remember: Wherever you go in life, you take yourself with you.

ok i guess i just flooded it, its starting now, thanks for all the help though guys.

you can flood a fuel injected motor?

didnt know that...
    Originally posted by UnitedWeStand Don't go walking up to her and say "I just had a vasectomy wanna celebrate?
    Originally posted by EvilAngel Actually Kitten just got the sonagram done and the doc thought it was twins at first, but soon realized that it was the boys pen1s laying next to him....lol
    Said by XSeanX on AIM I wish girls were a lot easier
    Originally posted by Needlefreak May the fleas of a thousand taliban camels feast happily on your lower region..
    Originally posted by Jim Heart attack on a bun?

Blog Entries
    Originally posted by TEH WIN
    you can flood a fuel injected motor?

didn't know that...
    ---

Hi TEH WIN

Yes! that is why you never touch the gas pedal on starting the newer vehicles.

They also take quite a bit to start if you have done.

Experience talking, i got out of my old 1/2 ton Patches one day and hopped into my Moms Millenia and without thinking i hit the gas. Took me 20 minutes to get it to start again. What a Dumba$$

regards

minir

Hi Meggie,
    2 words....Oxygen Sensor.....

Have it checked out..
    chevy....
    When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer "Present" or "Not guilty."
    Theodore Roosevelt

Originally posted by minir
    ---

Hi TEH WIN

Yes! that is why you never touch the gas pedal on starting the newer vehicles.

They also take quite a bit to start if you have done.

Experience talking, i got out of my old 1/2 ton Patches one day and hopped into my Moms Millenia and without thinking i hit the gas. Took me 20 minutes to get it to start again. What a Dumba$$

regards

minir

Most of the time you can start a flooded fuel injected car by turning the key off, putting the petal to the metal, and turning it over. Works like the old carburator jobs, the secret is to have the key off when pushing the petal down.

Counter-Strike Addict AoDLiQuiD-M3tH's Avatar
    yeah meggie sounds like a bad mapp or o2 sensor prolly causing the car to flood..
    -[AoD]-LiQuiD>M3tH-[SA]-
    -[AoD]-Clan General

www.Counter-Strike.net