Thread: Can I fold on this machine?

Can I fold on this machine?

friend gave me a 250mhz P2 compaq machine, with windows 98 with tons of junk (aol files etc...)

What can I do with this machine?

My~Rig
    |Athlon 64 X2 3800+ Toledo 2.0GHz @ 2.5Ghz||ASROCK 939Dual-SATA2||OCZ Platinum 2GB (2 x 1GB) PC3200|ZALMAN 120MM CNPS7700-CU|
    |ATI XT 1600 PRO|CSB SB0570 Audigy SE 7.1||WD SE16 SATA 320GB HD|Hitachi SATA 160GB HD|Thermaltake TR2 W0070 ATX 430W Power Supply |WIN 7 Ultimate| (College Budget)

Don't see why not, I have a 333MHz Celeron that can finish a wu in less than alloted time.

First thing I'd do is take all the junk off and defrag the drive. If theres nothing of use the fastest way would probably be to reformat the drive and reinstall Windows.

Tks
    Rick
    Prostate Cancer survivor, too late for me with a cure, but maybe I can help save others just like me. Wife brest cancer. Cured.

I agree with rick, I am using and old AMD K6-2 350 and it has no problems. The P2 is probably about as quick as this machine.
    Too many computers can fry your brain.

is there a lite os I can load on this machine?

My~Rig
    |Athlon 64 X2 3800+ Toledo 2.0GHz @ 2.5Ghz||ASROCK 939Dual-SATA2||OCZ Platinum 2GB (2 x 1GB) PC3200|ZALMAN 120MM CNPS7700-CU|
    |ATI XT 1600 PRO|CSB SB0570 Audigy SE 7.1||WD SE16 SATA 320GB HD|Hitachi SATA 160GB HD|Thermaltake TR2 W0070 ATX 430W Power Supply |WIN 7 Ultimate| (College Budget)

Originally posted by tHE_0ne
    is there a lite os I can load on this machine?

DOS. But then you are going to have to go hunting for DOS drivers for your Network card.
    Respect it.

Originally posted by agentbeast
    DOS. But then you are going to have to go hunting for DOS drivers for your Network card.
    oh really, would that be fast (folding)?

where can I find drivers, is ther any information on this?
    Last edited by tHE_0ne; 05-12-03 at 08:32 PM.

My~Rig

Don't know just how much faster it'd be, but you wouldn't have the Windows overhead of background programs taking 2-3% of the cpu time.

As to the drivers, I'm not sure anyone still supports DOS anymore. First place I'd look is the manufactorers home page. If that didn't work there are several web sites that specialize in freeware and shareware programs and would probably have some old drivers around.

If you do manage to get the computer up and running in DOS please post your protein type and frame times so possibly we all can take a good look at it.

Rick
    Prostate Cancer survivor, too late for me with a cure, but maybe I can help save others just like me. Wife brest cancer. Cured.

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England

Re: Can I fold on this machine?

Originally posted by tHE_0ne
    friend gave me a 250mhz P2 compaq machine, with windows 98 with tons of junk (aol files etc...)

What can I do with this machine?
    What is the processor? I never heard of any 250 mHz Intel. 233==>266==>300.
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!

Cool

I have one PII 266 Mhz on my farm that cranks out a WU every 6-10 days, that's its only purpose, folding and collecting dust...........

I like cold beverages BumperSticker's Avatar
    Is there a client for DOS?? The command line only seems to like the "command line" environment of Win 9x....
    I want a computer so good it must be used for evil. I want to walk out of Apple SoHo with a golden aura. I want anti-gravity bluetooth. I want a computer that chases squirrels and steals your picnic lunch. I want a computer that gets bored while I'm at work and prank-calls Microsoft tech support. I want WiFi control over my coffee maker. And my roommate. And the cat. I want the ability to hijack passing iPods. I want a computer that reduces fat while locking in savory chicken flavor. I want four on the floor and a fuzzy 970 chip hanging from the rearview. I want an Airport station that cleans my laundry with sonic waves. I want a keyboard with gold teeth. I want fries with that.

Folding@Home

Originally posted by BumperSticker
    Is there a client for DOS?? The command line only seems to like the "command line" environment of Win 9x....

No, the trouble with using the current command line version of FAH in DOS is that it uses winsock to connect to the network/internet. Well there is no winsock in DOS. That and DOS is single threaded. Can't have more than one thing going at a time. Like you can't have the FAH client running and the core running at the same time. Which is required by FAH. So right there the idea is dead in the water.
    Respect it.

Just throw 98SE on it, run F@H and let it go.

Check it every couple of days to be sure it's going OK.

Originally posted by mountainman
    Just throw 98SE on it, run F@H and let it go.

Check it every couple of days to be sure it's going OK.

Yeah I've got an old 166 Pentium running 98 first edition. Running the genome@home 2.0. I don't even mess with it it just sits in my closet working away.
    Respect it.