Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: adfree.forums.speedguide.net

I'd pay a monthly fee for a @speedguide email and a few megs of storage, for pics and vids and such. Really, the @speedguide email would be great, I'd cough up some dough JUST for that. Ya listening Philip?
    Tao_Jones Cult Member since 2004
    I gave Miss Manners a Dirty Sanchez, and she LIKED it.

Norton Personal Firewall 2003 does a perfect job at getting rid of both the banners and pop-ups plus, you get the extra firewall protection, of course.
    © Copyright 2005, Brandon_k_W Inc. ® ™

Originally posted by BIGJIMSLATE
    Honestly though, what's the problem with the ads?

The simple banner gif takes a few k out of your MASSIVE INTERNET CONNECTION, and is completely unobtrusive. Giant flash ads that take up the whole screen and make noise are obviously a completely different matter, but SG really hasn't had a problem with those.

I'm just somewhat missing why people have a problem with ads COMPLETELY, and not just those who abuse them.

Because some of the ad banners across the top cover up the menus sometimes which is very annoying. Id gladly pay a small fee.
    http://forums.speedguide.net/showthr...hreadid=114425

Originally posted by Rainbow
    Because some of the ad banners across the top cover up the menus sometimes which is very annoying. Id gladly pay a small fee.[/url]
    I understand that, and that's definately a bug (usually refreshing the page will show a different ad and will let it work). I was referring more to people's aversion towards ads as a whole, even if they are all that's supporting a site that they go to.

I understand that, and that's definately a bug (usually refreshing the page will show a different ad and will let it work). I was referring more to people's aversion towards ads as a whole, even if they are all that's supporting a site that they go to.
    but were saying were willing to pay for it. provided its not like 1 grand a month lol

Originally posted by YARDofSTUF
    but were saying were willing to pay for it. provided its not like 1 grand a month lol
    I have no problem with paying a fee. In fact, I still wonder why almost as many people have a problem with a fee-supported site as they do with an ad-supported one.

I have no problem with paying a fee. In fact, I still wonder why almost as many people have a problem with a fee-supported site as they do with an ad-supported one.

i have a problem with a free as teh main revenue cuz u gotta join and pay the fee to see what its like.

Tucson, Arizona Processor: GenuineIntel Member #4896
    Originally posted by Brandon_k_W
    Norton Personal Firewall 2003 does a perfect job at getting rid of both the banners and pop-ups plus, you get the extra firewall protection, of course.
    MAC
    If your browser can't read unicode, you should probably switch!

Originally posted by Qwijib0
    MAC

norton makes a MAC version

That I can install on a work computer with software restrictions?

Specifications

Current Version: 2003

Platforms: Windows®
    XP Home/XP Pro/2000 Pro/Me/98

Blog Entries
    Qwijib0, very good point, we're actually in the planning stages of implementing something similar. Ultimately, we'd offer an optional small picture hosting space (web based, no other file types) + ad free site + more complete security scan for another paid level of membership. It might take some time to implement since development is not trivial (payment processing, security, etc.).

There are some technical problems with allowing SG email addresses, such as spam relaying that might make it impossible at this time.

Either way, it's going to be a while before any of those are implemented, and the current level of service is always going to be free, for those that might be concerned

Just for the record: Ad blockers reduce site revenue... Most of the sites out there are ad-supported, and they would not exist without ads (bandwidth/hosting/servers cost money - message: ads are crucial to site survival).
    Linux is user friendly, it's just picky about its friends...
    Disclaimer: Please use caution when opening messages, my grasp on reality may have shaken loose during transmission (going on rusty memory circuits).
    ๑۩۞۩๑

Broke
    Originally posted by Philip

Just for the record: Ad blockers reduce site revenue... Most of the sites out there are ad-supported, and they would not exist without ads (bandwidth/hosting/servers cost money - message: ads are crucial to site survival).
    Very Subliminal Philip

woohoo!