Thread: Network troubleshooter draws a blank

reades

Angry Network troubleshooter draws a blank

Hi,
    I have just configured my 2 pcs to network using a Buffalo AirSation. The older pc is win98, the new one is winXP. Both access the internet fine.

WinXP computer can access files on the win98 computer, as long as I give the files/folder share stuff.

The win98 computer cannot access files on the winXP computer. Clicking on "Network Neigbourhood" on the 98 doesn't show the other XP pc. If I run "network troubleshooter" as advised, then nothing happens, the window is blank.

Spooky or what? Any ideas?
    Thanks in anticipation.

SG Enthusiast
    Does the account you are using for the W988 box exist on the XP box? To browse I beleive you need to have a common accoutn on both boxes.

Skye
    anything is possible - nothing is free

Quote Originally Posted by Blisster
    It *would* be brokeback bay if I in fact went and hung out with Skye and co (did I mention he is teh hotness?)

reades
    Not sure, how do I find out?

Originally posted by reades
    Not sure, how do I find out?
    if you're not sure then the answer is most likely no...

how you find out is..
    go to control panel - users and passwords - look at what users are there..
    if there is the same username from your 98box w/the same p/w (u use on your W988 box, then the answer is obviously yes)

if not then add that same username from your w98 box to your XP box with the same p/w

I have W2kSP3..

so you're steps might be slightly diff.

reades
    Win98 pc tells me all "all users of this computer use the same preferences and desktop settings". I think this is how I would prefer it, I don't want to have to enter user names and passwords everytime I turn the computer on.

What's the difference between a user and an account? Do you know of an overview of this sort of stuff anywhere?

Thanks

SG Enthusiast
    I don't want to have to enter user names and passwords everytime I turn the computer on.
    Welcome to the professional versions of the OS. Security has actually become part of the picture

What's the difference between a user and an account?
    In this context, nothing.

In order to access remote machines, you generally need to provide credentials. You need to have common accounts on both machines to browse.

Make sure you have a firewall and good anti-virus. W98 is not secure at all - which is why you can browse in that direction and not the other,

EDIT: Next steps

- add a username (or account) to your W98 box so that you will now need to log in.

- add that same username (or account) to your XP box - the password can be different, I believe, but you'll then need to log on again each time you borwse unless you map a drive.

Share a folder on each box. Assuming that you aren't setting permissions on the XP shares/files, you should then be able to browse in both directions.
    anything is possible - nothing is free

Quote Originally Posted by Blisster
    It *would* be brokeback bay if I in fact went and hung out with Skye and co (did I mention he is teh hotness?)

Somewhere along the shoreline in New England
    The 98 box can find the NT based box in Network Neighborhood, even if it doesn't have an account. Just when you doubleclick the NT based computer to try to read it's shares, you will be challenged to provide a password.

Can you do a "Find Computer" and enter the name of the NT box? If the computer shows up, I bet you just have different workgroupd.

Is the XP firewall enabled on the XP box?

What network protocols is each computer running?
    MORNING WOOD Lumber Company
    Guinness for Strength!!!