Thread: Folding Tweaks Details

Lightbulb Folding Tweaks Details

Hey guys, a little help!

We need a thread to give out details to help the new members (and old dumb members like me!) on how to set up and get the most production from folding!

I know that some of you guys have the knowledge, so share with us less fortunates!

Details! Step by step!

Lets see what ya got!

turn your computer on Ken

I've seen Rickoic post about the advmethods commands, is that what you mean?

rick has made liek 4 or 5 posts on this stuff recently lol u're gonna kill him

If you are folding with a duron or athlon proc make sure that SSE recognition is turned on. I use wcpuid to do this. Also be sure to use the -forceasm flag which forces the core to use SSE/3DNow instructions. Using the -advmethods flag will help out also as the gromacs core will allow your machine to produce more points per hour.
    Too many computers can fry your brain.

Originally posted by emobley3
    If you are folding with a duron or athlon proc make sure that SSE recognition is turned on. I use wcpuid to do this. Also be sure to use the -forceasm flag which forces the core to use SSE/3DNow instructions. Using the -advmethods flag will help out also as the gromacs core will allow your machine to produce more points per hour.
    LOL God if you could see the bewildered look on my face I can talk all day about networks, network mgmt, active directory, but I still do not understand what you just said. I am folding with a duron so those tweaks would help

Originally posted by fastchevy
    LOL God if you could see the bewildered look on my face I can talk all day about networks, network mgmt, active directory, but I still do not understand what you just said. I am folding with a duron so those tweaks would help
    Wcpuid is a program that can tweak proc settings and will give you the actual speed of your proc. You can get this program here :
    http://www.h-oda.com/

Once you have dl the program, double click on the exec file ( you may have to move some of the parts of the prog around to put all in one folder.) Once this is done, start the prog, then go to menu item "tweaks" if you are using an AMD proc you should see an item labeled AMD athlon SSE detection or something similar. Click this and check that SSE is enabled. I have found that doing this halves the time on my duron 1100 using the gro core. Hope this helps.

disabled account
    Originally posted by emobley3
    Wcpuid is a program that can tweak proc settings and will give you the actual speed of your proc. You can get this program here :
    http://www.h-oda.com/

Once you have dl the program, double click on the exec file ( you may have to move some of the parts of the prog around to put all in one folder.) Once this is done, start the prog, then go to menu item "tweaks" if you are using an AMD proc you should see an item labeled AMD athlon SSE detection or something similar. Click this and check that SSE is enabled. I have found that doing this halves the time on my duron 1100 using the gro core. Hope this helps.
    I clicked the SSE enable, however when I went back to review, it was disabled again.
    I want to learn more and more to see as beautiful what is necessary in things; then I shall be one of those who make things beautiful. Amor fati: let that be my love henceforth! I do not want to wage war against what is ugly. I do not want to accuse; I do not even want to accuse those who accuse. Looking away shall be my only negation. And all in all and on the whole: some day I wish to be only a Yes-sayer.

Originally posted by nepenthe
    I clicked the SSE enable, however when I went back to review, it was disabled again.
    Two of my machines do this also whenever I restart them. Both are using the FIC AD11 motherboard, but I'm not sure why they do this. I just try to remember to reset this tweak whenever I restart these boxes, otherwise I will see a slowdown on EM3.

Originally posted by Humboldt
    turn your computer on Ken

I've seen Rickoic post about the advmethods commands, is that what you mean?
    Thanks Hummy!

Yeah, those and any/all the others...

Maybe we are just dumbazzes... (meaning me and anyone else that their elevator just don't make the top floor, 1 slice of bread short of a picnic, 5lbs of bricks short of a 10 lb load, not the sharpest tack in the box, not the brightest bulb in the room, not the early bird with the worm (thank goodness!), not the fastest boat in the water, not the sharpest knife in the drawer... Do you really want more? ) you get the picture?...

Originally posted by nepenthe

ya mine comes up that way too, but i'm wondering if thats cuz its enabled already so it goes to "sse disable" becasue thats the only option that would apply since its already enabled?

i dunno jsut a thought

This is in as much detail as I can think of right now and is meant for the computer user that is a casual user and not someone thats considered a 'GURU' which is really very few computer users as 'GURU' has a different meaning to every user depending on your expertise and qualifies to be used on someone that knows more than you do. So in the beginning the person that knew how to turn a computer on was a 'GURU' compared to someone that didn't even though that was all they knew how to do.

To get started with folding:

1. Create a folder on your hard drive.
    ...Win98 or WinSE
    ...A. Win 98SE
    .......1. Double click on the icon on your desktop labeled 'My Computer"
    .......2. then do the steps 2 through 7 for Win XP.

...B. Win XP
    .......1. Place mouse on 'Start' and click on the 'My Computer'

.......2. Double click on the icon that has C:\ below it.
    .......3. Move your mouse up to the upper left corner where you see 'File'
    .......4. From that menu move the mouse to 'Create'
    .......5. From the new menu select 'Directory'
    .......6. You will notice a new folder that was created and under it will be a blue area where 'New Folder' is displayed. I use the name 'Folding' but you can use any name you want. Just type it in now.
    .......7. Close all windows now and go to the link listed below.

http://folding.stanford.edu/download.html

From this download area you have the choice of several different versions of the FAH folding program. The graphical version is pretty, but slower because of the pictures it has to draw. The console version is the fastest version.

Any way whichever one you choose when you click on the download block and are asked to run, save, and others, select save. When asked where use the browse button and select the C:\ drive and then the directory you created.

Now that you have the program on your computer we need to fix it up so that it will run for you.

1. Navigate to the folder that you created by following the appropriate steps you used to create it above. Double click on it to open it. It should only have 1 file in it and that's the version of FAH that you chose to download.
    2. Move your mouse over it and press the right button.
    ...A. from the menu that pops up select 'Create Shortcut'.
    ...B. Move your mouse over the Shortcut created and press the right button again.
    ...C. Select 'Properties'
    .......1. Place mouse on the area where you see: (Maybe a little different depending on what you selected) C:\Folding\FAH3console.exe
    .......2. Use the right arrow key on your keyboard to take away the blue bar then make it look like this: C:\Folding\FAH3console.exe -forceasm -verbosity 9

3. Now place mouse over the little black arrow at the right end of line that says 'Run' and from the menu select how you want the program to run. Maximized, Minimized, or Normal window.

4. Now click on the button that says 'Accept' and double click on the shortcut you created.

5. It should immediately ask you for your userid. Type in the name you want to use. Be advised that if you use the name John or something simular that your folding will be under that name and as we already have a John he will get your credit. So if you still want to use John I'd advise you use a number after it that will be unique such as your area code, zip code or something like that.
    6. Then you will be asked for your team number. We are team 15.
    7. The remainder of the questions can be answered by just pressing Enter for now. (After you get into folding and become better acquainted with the project you may want to come back and change something but that can wait until then)
    8. After the last question is asked the program will create the needed files and then connect to the internet and Stanford and download your first work unit (wu).
    9. When it's finished the download it will then download a 'core'. These cores are sub programs that do the actual folding. There are different proteins that are folded and each one needs a different core. Also as problems in a core are identified a newer core is created and downloaded the next time you get a protein that requires it.
    10.Different proteins take different times to complete and also it depends a lot on how fast your computer is.

Now it would be bad if you had to navigate to the folder every time after you restarted your computer to restart the program so heres a way you can set it up to start automatically.

1. While your in the directory click 1 time on the shortcut you created. It should turn blue. Press and hold down the Ctrl key and then press the C key. Release them both. Close all the directorys and folders.
    2. Right click on the 'Start' button in the lower left corner of your screen. Select 'OPEN'.
    3. Double click on the folder labeled 'Programs'
    4. Double click on the folder labeled 'Startup'
    5. Press and hold the 'Ctrl' key and then press the V key. Release them. and a copy of your shortcut should appear in the window.
    6. Close all windows and your all set up.

If you are running several computers either separately or on a lan, you can follow the exact same procedures above to set up folding on each computer. You can use the same userid and everything on as many computers as you want to set up.

We feel sure that questions will need to be asked and if you have a question please don't hesitate to ask us by posting it on the forum. If we don't know an answer to it we should be able to find out.
    Prostate Cancer survivor, too late for me with a cure, but maybe I can help save others just like me. Wife brest cancer. Cured.